PDA

View Full Version : Hey all you sewers and quilters

1of2shoes
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I seem to remember a thread that a group of you were talking about a sewing machine that you liked. It was small and fairly inexpensive, I think. I want to get this for my son because he has expressed an interest in making dolls for Etsy. Was it a Janome machine? Where did you get it? How much was it? I need it to sew fabric, not paper.

Thanks for your help.

teabear
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Alot of folks have the Janome machines. I'll ask mom about hers. She got it to take to sewing excursions because it is small, but mighty. She really likes hers and I think she bought it online.

mcourtney
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I got a Janome Sew Mini for sewing on cards. I got mine online from Hancock Fabrics when they had them on sale for $30.00.

Mrs. Fence
01-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a kenmore and i love it. It's probably about 10 years old, but i use it for everything.

Vintagegal
01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I think folks bought a Janome for sewing on cards, but I think it'll work on fabric, also, Debbie. I don't have a Janome, but that's because I bought my machine with the intent of piecing fabric for quilting.

teabear
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I just talked with my mom and she has a Janome Jem that she bought for about $200 with no sales tax and no shipping from a guy in Alabama that she met at the national sewing convention. She says he has great customer service and she's shopped with him a few times. He is at Ken's Sewing Center.com (http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/) The machine has 3 stitch lengths for quilting, basting, and clothing. It has a zig zag and a serpentine stitch and it makes button holes and has a few feet.

1of2shoes
01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
That's what I'm looking for, thanks! You ladies are great.

hutchink
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a janome and love it :)

morgainegeiser
01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I bought my DD a Janome machine when Hancocks went out of business here. I sew for a 2nd income and I have two Singers and a brand new Burina. I use my DD's Janome machine when I visit her and it is fine, however if he plans to go through several layers of fabric or heavier fabric like denim, you should buy a machine that he can have serviced locally. Like my singers can't be serviced locally and that is a pain. All major brands of machines these days have all metal parts and are quite durable, but I have wiped out a few parts on my machines and burned out one computer. Good luck!