PDA

View Full Version : Weird scary weather!

limeyscrapper
01-31-2009, 07:56 AM
We went to our dd's for dinner last night and left there at about 9-15 pm to drive home. They live about half an hours drive down the highway from Edmonton.
As we got into our car, it was extremely windy, and dh reminded me that they had been issuing wind warnings all day. Our drive home was miserable. The freezing rain that began almost as soon as we pulled out of their driveway,turned into hail, and then a blizzard, with wind whipping the snow across the highway until visibility was so poor, we were just crawling along.
The snow was coming down really hard and we saw several big flashes and realised that it was a lightening storm - in Alberta, in January - such freaky weather.
Well, we made it home safe and sound but it took us twice as long as usual. With visibility being so limited and the highway getting icy we slowed right down, but of course there were some drivers speeding along as if it were a summers day. I'm expecting to see quite a few accident reports on the news today.
We did have lots of fun playing with our grandchildren, Isaac and Hannah. Isaac is quite the character and really makes me laugh with the things he says. While I washed his hands and face after dinner, he thanked me and told me " You're my good friend Grandma".
I was finishing my after dinner coffee, when he told me to hurry up " because, you and me, we can run away, just you and me Grandma". When I asked where we were running too, he told me that we were going to his room to jump on the bed. As I haven't done that in quite a few years, I opted for watching while he did the jumping. Such a funny little boy, and so much energy. I was quite worn out by the time he went to bed - and I was only watching!

logcabincreations
01-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Wow...that is strange weather! Glad you made it home safely. Your grandson sounds like a VERY charming young man :)

Christie
01-31-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm glad you made it home safe! That sounds like wild weather.

mahodgman
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm glad you made it home safe!

I think I'd like to meet your Isaac, he sounds like a wonderful boy!

teabear
01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
It sounds like you had a great visit. Your grandson is adorable. Glad you made it home safely in the wild weather.

MidwestStamper
01-31-2009, 11:50 AM
I know a gal on the new PC board was posting about wind and ice pellets coming in last night and how scary and loud it was! She's from Central Alberta--so I bet she was talking about the same weather system as you were experiencing!

bubblegum girl
01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I know the weather was pretty crazy here as well, I had been planning on going with some friends to a wedding in Vanderhoof, bC and we decided not to go. But we did hear about 2 girls from our church (in Sask.) were killed just west of Jasper in a headon collision. No one really knows what caused teh accident but 2 sisters are dead, they were 18 and 20.