PDA

View Full Version : Facebook update

directmailscrapper
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
First of all, I want you all to know that I have 30 friends on Facebook. I don't think it's a lot, but it sure makes me feel more loved than on Tuesday when I started it and I had only two.

I started a Facebook so I could judge whether or not it would be appropriate for my 7th grade daughter. My DH had been dead set against it, I wanted to keep an open mind.

Opened the Facebook Tuesday and immediately got hooked. Couldn't find any reason why DD couldn't have one so long as we put controls on it. Shared it with DH. He surprised us with Facebook for Dummies book the next day -- he is onboard. Emily got her page and she is going to town. No friends without parental approval.

We wrote up a contract concerning ALL of her electronics (AIM, Facebook, texting) and homework, etc. Homework first BEFORE any electronics. Few other rules -- that she helped us come up with. I think this is going to work just fine.

I've been LMAO about how many of her friends are inviting me to be their friends on Facebook!

I realized that I spent more time on FB than the Shack this weekend, I won't let that happen again! Although I really enjoy seeing so many of you over at FB!

Mrs. Fence
02-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I have succumbed to the facebook addiction as well. And like you, got started because ds wanted to join. I love it almost as much as the Shack! It's a great way to keep in touch with faraway friends that I wouldn't normally hear from each day. I love the myfarm game!

directmailscrapper
02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I "found" my old boyfriend from High School! LOL! I haven't seen him in over 30 years. I learned that it's easier to find people with unusual names -- and there he was! We've e-mailed back and forth -- fun to catch up.

allinkdup
02-01-2009, 10:26 PM
OK Nancy, I am going to bow down to you, I love the idea of the contract! Can you PM or email it to me by chance? I am thinking that I want to do this with my teens. Well, when they get ungrounded that is, lol!

directmailscrapper
02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Awna, I'll type it up (it's handwritten) and send it to you tomorrow. Let's see how well it works... :-)

GrammaStamper
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I "found" my old boyfriend from High School! LOL! I haven't seen him in over 30 years. I learned that it's easier to find people with unusual names -- and there he was! We've e-mailed back and forth -- fun to catch up.

Very cool, but I'm thinking you DH better keep his eye on you, Nancy! You go, girl. Just kidding, but now I'm going to go look for guys I used to know in HS.

logcabincreations
02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Very responsible to have a contract and it's great Emily had input.

ccstampin12
02-02-2009, 07:53 AM
It's funny.
Most of the people I've "found" are former students and friends of our children! I love learning what they've been doing with their lives.
I have also "found" some former co-workers, but no high school boyfriends! LOL
Joanie

shadoob
02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Good for you (and Emily) that you took the time to learn about (become addicted to) FB. Have fun with it....I have not yet taken the plunge....

TiikkiStars
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
That contract is a great idea! We just started a sticker chart for our kidlets (they are much younger). DS uses the earned stickers to earn time on the computer and wii and DD.......well, I haven't worked out a reward system for her earned stickers yet. Thankfully, since she's a toddler, she's just thrilled with the Princess stickers alone! :>

As for Facebook, I have found my best friends from the different places I've lived as a kid. I am thrilled because I would have never found them otherwise!

:> Karen

Nancy
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Since I know all the guys I went to school with and see the ones who are still alive at the reunions, guess that wouldn't help me. I just havent taken that plunge, When I can I am on here. - Nancy

MnMommy2
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
lately i spend more time on facebook than anywhere else too.
i feel like deleting my MySpace account cause I rarely go on it.

Paula Carden
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh Nancy you are one hip mom to do this for your daughter.
I have no idea really much about Facebook-but I am sure I don't need it if it is addiciting. As some here mentioned the free games at Yahoo and I spend entirely too much time there.
Glad it has worked out for Em and your dh is cool for getting on board. I believe both of you must have an open mind!!

mcourtney
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Maybe I'm old and decrepit, but I find Facebook and My space rather "busy". I like my messaging to be orderly and neat. :confused: All the invites, and tagging, and smiles, and drinks, and games are driving me crazy.

cecescraps
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Mary, I just ignore those things if it's not something I want to participate in. And, like you Nancy, I found my "boyfriend" from 1st grade! LOL I actually went to school and dated him on and off from 1st-12th grade and he still lives in my hometown so, it wasn't too hard to find him. Another friend from school that I haven't seen since 9th grade and I were chatting on FB today and she just got divorced and I said- hey, Jimmy (that's the guy) is divorced too- and she replied- "yeah, we went out a few times but, he was a much better bf in 2nd grade!" I was lmao over that one.

suzi_f
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM

I specifically didn't use my maiden name as I didn't want people from my past coming out of the woodwork. Guess who added me as a friend last week? My first boyfriend. He found me thru his sister. Weird. He's happily married & living in TN but, still odd to "see" him after all these years. Good thing he added me as a friend 'cause I never would have recognized him!!!

Canadian, eh
02-03-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm on facebook, Nancy. I'll try looking you up when I get home from work.

Christie
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm glad your dh came around!! I hope you don't stay hooked, you know us shackies would miss you!