PDA

View Full Version : Get Me Some Cheese Because I Am Going to Whine!

mahodgman
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
How was that for an attention-getting title? So, I had to have some tests done because a routine blood test showed elevated glucose, liver enzymes and my good colesterol is low (the overall number is fine like 125 but the good number should be higher than it is), so this is all pre-diabetes kind of stuff. So, I already had an appointment with my digestive health gal to get my prescription for acid reflux refilled, so she ordered more blood work and an ultrasound. Well, I officially have fatty liver. The cure you ask? Lose weight and excersise, and if I don't I will definitley have diabetes. If you are like me and have struggled with weight your whole life, this is not good news! I can diet, oh I am really good at dieting, but I sure cannot keep it off for good. I've lost 50+ pounds about 5 or 6 times in my life, so I know I can do that. What I'm worried about is how to get it off and keep it off. At least the doc said to do it slow, like 2 pounds a month. That is a snail's pace....lol I don't know, maybe that is the key. I'm going to have to think about joining weight watchers again. Big sigh......I'm just so tired of this battle! Can I get a little sympathy here? Oh wait, I wanted cheese, didn't I?

I almost forgot. The ultra sound also showed one big gal stone (been there for years), cysts on my kidneys and fiberous tissue in my uterus. What the heck all that means I don't know, she was only worried about my liver. I'll have to go see my family doc to find out about the other stuff.

shadoob
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm here to give you some cheese...but it will be the 75% ff kind (cabot's is pretty good).
UGH!!! ick!! yuk!! no good!! not fair!!! I think it stinks for you!!
(and now if you need some hugs and encouragement, we are here for that too... sorry you got bombarded with all of that!

emmcee
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear this news Mary. Do you want a slice of extra sharp or colby jack? My favorites when I need some comfort.

Vintagegal
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
You're not alone with wishing to lose weight, Mary. Many of us are doing it for health reasons, more than the 'vanity' factor. I'm here for you, for support. I feel like I'm going at a snail's pace, also, but we have to remember that we didn't gain it overnight; so we're not going to lose it overnight. I'm going to recommend Sparkpeople.com, once again. It's helping me lose weight, and keeping on track. Even if you're on Weight Watches, Sparkpeople can really help you stay on track, give you loads of really helpful info, and motivate you to keep going.

Rebecca
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I feel your pain... a few months ago I found out I am diabetic, I have high blood pressure and that ever blessed high chlorestrol. Talk about a time bomb.......I was always skinny until I hit 50, I have been on a diet and have lost 29.8 lbs in 4 months. I am starting to feel better....there is hope! Don't get discouraged.

tojoco
02-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear all that bad news. I'm right there with you on weight loss. I've been thin most of my life and it wasn't until I had to move to Memphis that I gained all my weight and have been struggling with it the past 17 years. I hate dieting but I hate exercsing even more. I sure wish there was an easy way to do it. Good luck.

ccstampin12
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I recommend a low-carb diet and go to Curves.
I get the food journals on line from Calorie King.
He has a book with all the information and nutrition numbers for so many foods.
I keep track of everything I eat, and try to keep the carbs down, but also fat and calories need to be in the mix too.
www.calorieking.com (http://www.calorieking.com)
Good luck!
Joanie

maxiesmom
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, that was a lot to get hit with in one day. Take it one day at a time and do the best you can. That's all you can ask of yourself.

cindi
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
from one overweight yo-yo dieter to another..here's some low fat cheese to go with your 1 glass of wine!!
why is it that some people can eat all they want and be skinny & fine and all some of us have to do is think about it and be fat & unhealthy?? it's not fair!!!
so I know your pain and if you find the cure, let me know.
good luck my friend
:confused:

logcabincreations
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm a yo yo dieter too...trying to lose but the food keeps calling my name. It's frustrating. You are not alone my friend.

cecescraps
02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
YUCK! Sorry to hear all this Mary but, we're here for you. Just remember... baby steps!

scrappinnuts
02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Mary... I feel your pain... I go up and down.... Yo Yo dieting.... slow is the only way to go... I keep trying everyday... sorry for your struggles.

mahodgman
02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the support, ladies. I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself last night. It is a lot to take in, and I don't even know if any of the other things need to be worried about or not yet. The gal stone is no big deal, I've had that for years and it hasn't caused any problems, but the fiberous uterous tissue and kidney cysts are new.

I gave up lattes at Christmastime. I used to drink 1 and sometimes 2 a day. I've only had 2 since the end of Dec. That is one positive change, and I think I've already lost a couple of pounds just from that.

loobylou
02-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Small changes will make a big difference Mary. Try to stay positive, and keep asking questions until you get the answers you need.

ccstampin12
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Just a sidenote here, Mary...
I have lost 70#! BUT, it has taken me 7 years!
I am currently on a plateau since overeating over the holidays.
So, I am trying to get past that and lose that last 10#.
The girls are right....nothing can be good about losing it really fast, like on some fad diet, as inevitably, we all gain it back again.
Just slow and steady! And some exercise.
HUGS....been there, done that!
Joanie

workin4stamps
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
oh gosh Mary!! I am so sorry. I will send you an email..........

Kreative Dryve
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I feel for you, and you can whine all you want. Thats a lot to focus on at one time!

My only advice from someone who is still trying to lose that "holding on to my abdomen after having kids fat" is small steps. Small food choice changes, small steps at the gym, or exercising. But above all make it a lifestyle, not a diet. You can do it!! You can do it!!

Vintagegal
02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Mary......like Marie said....you'll be successful in the long run if you look at it as a change in lifestyle, and not as a diet. Also, do you have someone you could count on as an exercise buddy?

More power to you, lady! You can do it!!

teabear
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm joining in here to say I'm so sorry you are having so many health issues at once. Did the doc offer any other advice? I'm thinking a referral to a dietician might be good. There may be certain foods that are no no's with your diagnosis.

mahodgman
02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm joining in here to say I'm so sorry you are having so many health issues at once. Did the doc offer any other advice? I'm thinking a referral to a dietician might be good. There may be certain foods that are no no's with your diagnosis.

No, not any advice really except she drew me a 9" plate, and said that half the plate should be full of veggies and then small slices for starch, protien and fruit. She just wants me to lose 1-2 pounds a month, and she wants to see me again in 6 months. I am going to see my family doc with all the different test results, and see what she has to say. I adore my family doc! I've only been seeing her for about a year, but she is very responsive and she actually calls me on the phone to tell me results and stuff. I've never had a doc like that! A visit to a nutritionist would probably be good. I've never been to one before.

The thing is that I know all the stuff I need to do. I'm a diet expert, I just need to find the motivation within myself. I just can't express how exhausting it feels to be here, fatter than I've ever been and think about having to do it again......lose weight I mean. I'm not sure exactly why I am using the word exhausting, but it seems to fit. I'm mad! Mad at myelf, mad at my genes and mad at the whole diet industry that I've spend countless amounts of money on to just be back here in this situation. I'll get over it. I am totally worth the effort, but I just need to get my head in the right place. I'm working on it.

Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement, I do appreciate it.