PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any suggestions for me about cooking ribs in a crockpot??

workin4stamps
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
This is what I am doing today! I bought boneless country ribs at the store. The only suggestions I have so far were to 1) salt and pepper them first, and 2) put them in the oven at like 400 for about 15 minutes on each side in order to "sear" them a bit. This also helps get some of the fat out I'm told.

Then I'm planning on putting them in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce.

Should I have them in the sauce the whole time??

I'm thinking I might even want to cook them in the oven a bit after they're done, just to get that nice "crustyness" on the sauce.

Any and all suggestions welcome!! Please hurry! I need to get these started!! I should have asked this last night!

thanks!!!!!

iloveflipflops
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I've never cooked ribs in the crockpot but I would do what you are doing. Sounds right to me. Give it a "go" and tell us all how delicious they were!!

GrammaStamper
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Traci, here's a link to some recipes for ribs in a slow cooker.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Search/Advanced?SearchPhrase=slow%20cooker%20ribs&T=0&searchSource=hdrbox-Recipes

The Sween 'n' Sour ribs use boneless country-style ribs and has a blue ribbon next to it!

Vintagegal
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Traci, what you're doing is fine. I let my ribs cook for ten hours because it will "dry" and get the crusty outer meat. It won't make the meat dry as in "too dry to eat." It will still be fork tender. I don't think you'll need to pop it in the overn afterwards. I think *that * will dry out your meat. Sounds delish! I love cooking ribs in my crockpot!

mydogstinks2
02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
my advice is to do what you have planned...

BUT then this is the important part...

Call me about 2 hours before they are done! That way I have time to get there and let you kow how good they taste! LOL

Christie
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm cooking those same style ribs today on the pit!! I've never cooked them in a crockpot so I'm not help at all!!! I do know that they are yummy on the BBQ! I soak mine in Italian Dressing for a good six hours before I BBQ them.

tojoco
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
my advice is to do what you have planned...

BUT then this is the important part...

Call me about 2 hours before they are done! That way I have time to get there and let you kow how good they taste! LOL

Chris, you are way too funny!

mydogstinks2
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
They must not be done yet cause still no phone call....LOL

workin4stamps
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
They must not be done yet cause still no phone call....LOL

sorry! I just woke up from my nap!!!!!

I don't know if they're going to be done at 6:30 or not, but that's when we're eating!!! LOL

TiikkiStars
02-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I've only cooked ribs in the oven.........either all the way in the oven, with a couple of minutes under the broiler, or in the oven and finished on the bbq............or boiled them and then finished them on the bbq.

Let us know how they came out in the crock pot!!!

:> Karen

maxiesmom
02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Uhhh, waiting patienly to hear how it all turned out!

cindi
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
they must be good, she's still at them! lol
come on..we need to know
:jiggy:

workin4stamps
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
They were just okay. I put them in the crock pot with BBQ sauce, and cooked them for about 6 hours on low. By the time 6 hours were up, they were almost burning! I couldn't possibly have cooked them any longer or they would have been nasty. I think I will try something different next time. Maybe boil them and then bake them in the oven??

So it's an ongoing experiment!! LOL

TiikkiStars
02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Traci, one of the ways we cook our ribs is to boil them first and then to either put them in the oven (if I'm cooking) or put them on the bbq (DH is cooking....we almost always put them on the Q). We put LOTS of Pappy's seasoning and ground sage into the pot of water, bring it to a boil and then simmer them with a lid on for about an hour. To put modesty aside for just a moment here....we're kinda known for our ribs and often get requests for them when family and friends visit. Okay...putting my modesty cap back on now! ;>

The way we've been doing them for the last year though, is to put them into a pyrex, season them with Pappy's & sage (no sauce yet), put tinfoil on it, bake them for about an hour and a half at 325, and then put bbq sauce on them and onto the bbq. They are DELISCIOUS! Oh yea, I should mention that we usually buy racks of ribs (so there are bones) and sometimes country shoulder ribs and always pork.

Let us know how your next trial turns out!!

Hey! Now you're making me want some ribs!!! Good thing I need to go shopping in the next day or two! :>

:> Karen