PDA

View Full Version : How'd she do this???

suzi_f
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I will be the first to admit, i'm coloring challenged! I can't even figure out my prismacolor pencils (to those in Chrsitie's Sweet & Moose in Legwarmers ATC, you will know it w/o a doubt!)

So, it appears that this girl (http://treasureoilerdesignz.blogspot.com/2009/02/loads-of-love-sfytt.html) has no special equipment (no copics) and did the awesome coloring. I have the inks, I have the pens, I have the aquapainter. What I don't have is skill I guess. I want to do pretty images like this. <whine>

teabear
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
You can aquapaint. You just put some of the ink onto a craft sheet of tinfoil or something like that. Then pick up the color with your brush and watercolor. Wish you were here so we could play.

suzi_f
02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Wish you were here so we could play.

I'll jump on a plane right now!!! I guess I'll have to get my watercolor paper out (hmmm, WHERE did I put that 18 mos ago when I HAD to have it?!??!?!) and practice. I just don't "get" art & shading & shadow & highlight. I know it's not that difficult but I'm NOT artistic (I'm starting to wonder if I might be autistic but, that's another story. LOL)

cindi
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Suzi, when I first started I was soo rigid and thats when things just didn't come out how I wanted, then I learned to loosen up, shade where I wanted or not at all, be free form, now I like my coloring much better..now if I could just stay in the lines, lol
:)

teabear
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't even think you need watercolor paper, Suzi. Just don't use tons of water. I've used that technique on lots of different kinds of cardstock. One of my local stamping buddies only uses SU paper and that's how she colors everything.

Merry4003
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Suzi, you are the first person I have seen that says she has the same problem as I do. I don't get shading and I totally use my color wheel. I always say some are Naturals and some of us really have to practice and learn....on the bright side, it sure is fun to practice and learn all this new stuff !

shadoob
02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't "get it" either...I see what some others do and I STUDY it, trying to figure it out..and it makes sense...then I try it and it comes out like a little kid did it. Honest to goodness people used to ask which kid did a certain craft (when they were like 4 yrs old) and it was ME....oy vey...I'm just gonna have to send LOVE an dnot masterpieces.......

Far North
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Many stamps provide great shading tips. Images often have dots or added lines to indicate shaded areas. If you add a darker shade of your base color in those areas you will be on track with basic shading. Now stamps that are just outlines are a lot more challenging.

Yes, I too use regular cardstock when I am using my aquapen. I use the watercolor paper when I am using a misting technique.

tillyhead
02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm definately no expert, but...

I've found that if I color only the outline of the image and the definition lines with a watercolor pencil and then go back in with my aqua brush and "pull" the color into the middle it kinda gives you shading automatically. I usually use regular cardstock too.

I just posted some valentines cards using this technique on my blog. Hope this helps:)