PDA

View Full Version : After looking thru all the photos in this gallery, I have come to realize

iloveflipflops
10-21-2006, 11:13 AM
that I do not know how to do alot of the techniques. My cards are very plain jane if you know what I mean.

My goal for 2007 is to take some classes somewhere (I have no idea where since I don't have any LSS's by me) and learn some of these great new techniques. I am ready to branch out!!!!!

Like Jane's tri-fold card. I have no idea how to do that and it is just the cutest.

Like faux postage, I do know how to do this but I don't do it enough ...

I need to get better with my alcohol inks too ...

Just some observations I had this Saturday morning :)

mahodgman
10-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean, Sherry. I do know how to do a lot of techniques, but I really don't do them all that much. I love the look of embossing, and I rarely do that for example.

I just signed up for a new SU club that starts in January. It is going to be all about techniques. We have to spend quite a bit each month, $40, but we get a 6x6 album, and each month we will do 2 different techniques. The demo will supply the written directions and a new page protector so we can build our books every month. We will make samples of the technique for our books too. I'm really excited about this! And, when it is my turn to be hostess, I'll for sure have a $400 party.

iloveflipflops
10-21-2006, 11:31 AM
But I have one problem, no one by me stamps so now what??? Oh well, I will just try and learn through all of you. :) That SU camp monthly is exactly what i need though!

Traci, can you fly down here to NC once a month and help me get started? HA HA

mahodgman
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
But I have one problem, no one by me stamps so now what??? Oh well, I will just try and learn through all of you. :) That SU camp monthly is exactly what i need though!

Are you the only TAC demo in your area too? That is one good thing about SU, they are everywhere!

inkinupstamps
10-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm with both you, Sherri and Mary! I get in a technique rut. I think that is one of the many things I love about Stamp shack is the specific columns for Stamping and techniques. Just in one short week I've learned a lot of new things or have been encouraged to try some new things.

iloveflipflops
10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
But I know NO ONE In my area that stamps. We've only been here a year so I know it takes time to meet people but still...

I do have a friend who lives about 25 miles from me and she is heavy into SU. I sent her a TAC catalog just for the heck of it and she ended up buying $70 worth of paper from me. WOO HOO. I am anxious to see what she thinks of it when it comes in. She knows ALOT of people who stamp so I just need to get in over there :).

laos348
10-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm the same way with techniques - I seem to get into a rut with the same things over and over. I'm by myself stamping and even all the local stamp stores have closed up so I can't take classes. I do subscribe to the technique junkies newsletter and that has helped me branch out a little.

Laura

Erin K
10-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Yea, Sherri, you get with your friend who is 25 miles away, that's not too far, maybe she has a stamp club or something.

You should meet the TAC girl who is in concord. If there was a TAC girl in J-ville you can bet I'd knock on her door! "Hi, I"m Erin and welcome to my life" hehe.

Somehow I've become the person who needs to do clubs here! There was a SU demo doing one with bunches of my friends, but they decided they didn't like her and won't sign up for another round with her. (I think it's not personal, but they didn't enjoy the club, I met her and she's nice enough) So they keep asking me to set up one for TAC. I guess I'd better do it, I'd hate Jacksonville to be starved for creative inspiration. But I wanted to be IN a club, not RUN one

Erin K
10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I can't find the tri-fold card of Jane's please help me. I'd love to see it.
e

dgbearsmom
10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't do much either. I'm lucky to stamp and color my image to look halfway decent. I know I just need practice. Heat embossing is a big deal for me. :)

I just need to give myself permission to play so I can practice and learn. I always think I have to have a reason to make something - like for a swap or to send someone a card for something. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I just make something to practice. I'm not saying that's right. I just can't seem to get past it.

We have an awesome LSS here called Stampers Ink and they have great classes. But they are always at 6:00 during the week and it's hard for me to get there since I work full time. And it's the opposite direction from where I live.

Judy

lost luggage
10-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I feel the same way about my skill level when I look at the cards...I know the techniques, but I have not tried them and maybe some of them I am not good enough.

I've started to make sure that with EVERY project I make, I am sure to put a special technique on it. That way, I hopefully can make a card that I feel doesn't look plain. I am also testing all the looks on scratch paper before I put them on my projects so I can fine tune the technique without wrecking my card.

I know what you mean, though..I have to push myself to do it. :)

stampcrazyjulie
10-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Ditto on what you all have said! I really need to branch out as well! There is NOBODY around me that Stamps! Nobody! I can't seem to find a good Stamp Club either. Mary you must have some Awesome Demo's where you live! I am happy hearing things from you all and learning new things with you!

tojoco
10-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I agree that it's very hard to find people who stamp or who have technique clubs. When I stamp alone I always get in a rut. Sometimes I need a nudge from someone, or some inspiration or something to keep the creativity flowing. I know after being sick for a while, it's hard for me to pick up where I've left off in crafting. I've got so many supplies surrounding me but no desire to use them. If there were just someone here to share it with, it would be easy.

I think we should set up a "technique weekend" somewhere. We can all save up our pennies, get a centralized location, nominate someone (and the northwest seems to have a lot of clubs so maybe we should have Mary do it) to host the weekend and teach us some new things. Her $40 club sounds very interesting so I think we can pay her to set up weekend classes and we can all learn together while enjoying each other's company. What does everyone say?

kulakid
10-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I only just recently purchased some gamsol and blending stumps, and I'm thinking "alright, I'm big-time now!", but I am SOOO not...you all are so inspiring, and once I get a bit more time on my hands, I know where to come!!

workin4stamps
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM

HA! I would LOVE to!! Get me a plane ticket each month and I'll be there with bells on!!!! LOL

Traci

workin4stamps
10-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I know that a lot of you probably know this already, but Splitcoaststampers has a GREAT techniques forum with wonderful tutorials. They have step by step pictures and everything. It is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/

:-)
Traci

dgbearsmom
10-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I
I think we should set up a "technique weekend" somewhere. We can all save up our pennies, get a centralized location, nominate someone (and the northwest seems to have a lot of clubs so maybe we should have Mary do it) to host the weekend and teach us some new things. Her $40 club sounds very interesting so I think we can pay her to set up weekend classes and we can all learn together while enjoying each other's company. What does everyone say?

Sounds like fun to me! Kansas City is really very nice and very middle of the country. :) Seriously, I would consider going pretty much anywhere except Northern Minneota, Buffalo, or any other cold and snowy place in the middle of winter.

Judy

teabear
10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
They really seem to get me out of my rut. I like the color and layout challenges at 2peas and there are some here. The link that Traci gave for splitcoaststampers techniques I've used quite a bit. They also have a special gallery linked to each technique, so you can see how people have used it. I also get inspired by all of you and what you post.

jdpisces
10-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Being with other stampers in "real life" is always really helpful for me. That even includes just looking at cards in person. I find that if I can actually touch the card, I can figure it out. I have a good SU! demo who has classes that are pretty good. In fact, there is a Christmas one on the 4th. I'd be happy to share with you all what I do.

Unfortuantely, my TAC demo lives in NC :(, so I don't get to see her!

But yes...let's get together! I'm up for anything!

Julie

mahodgman
10-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Whoo hoo! when are you all coming? I think Joanne has a wonderful idea of you all coming to Tacoma, WA! And, my SU demo would totally do a camp sort of thing for us if we are paying. LOL, or I would do one for free! Seriously, we could find a church or someplace that wouldn't charge us for using their room. And, the weather is generally pretty mild around here. If we ever get snow, it only lasts for a day or two. When ya comin'?

My SU demo is moving to Idaho sometime next year. Her DH works for an airline, so she flys all over the place all the time for little or no money. She says she is coming back to town to do our workshops when she moves. And, she has stamp club members in other states too. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I could find out if anyone is interested.

mahodgman
10-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Ditto on what you all have said! I really need to branch out as well! There is NOBODY around me that Stamps! Nobody! I can't seem to find a good Stamp Club either. Mary you must have some Awesome Demo's where you live! I am happy hearing things from you all and learning new things with you!

Julie, you are in SU heaven there in UT! And, you have all those other great companies too that have their warehouse sales and such. Don't you know anyone else who stamps? Do you live by Heather/Firecracker1971?

mahodgman
10-22-2006, 10:57 AM
I know that a lot of you probably know this already, but Splitcoaststampers has a GREAT techniques forum with wonderful tutorials. They have step by step pictures and everything. It is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/

:-)
Traci

Agreed! I have learned tons from splitcoast tutorials! The step-by-step instructions are easy to follow, and there are usually lots of examples to look at.

shuggy
10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Ditto on what you all have said! I really need to branch out as well! There is NOBODY around me that Stamps! Nobody! I can't seem to find a good Stamp Club either.

excuse me!! i'm somebody!!! we can start our own stamp club.

Far North
10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=iloveflipflops;2079]But I know NO ONE In my area that stamps.

Why don't you try signing onto the SU site and asking to be contacted by a local demo? When the call tell what you are interested and see what they now about your community.

Also have you tried googling your town and rubber stamps to see if anyone has a website?

Just a thought or 2...Jan

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-22-2006, 10:35 PM
you will have to stop by my home and I'll craft with ya!

My SU Techniques Workshop & Hostess Club will be getting a techniques ATC album for all of the techniques they have learned so far, and all the others they will be learning throughout the rest of the year. I have 10 members and they all seem to be having a good time. They just buy at least $15 worth of SU products each month and get a turn being the hostess. When it's their turn to host, they get to select products that they would like to see demo'd or would like to try out, and aso a stamping / crafting technique to be featured that month. I think they get their money's worth and then some, which was my goal. Last month, those who attended played with heat embossing & different embossing powders, heat & stick, glitter, and Pearl Ex.

My upline demo group is just fantastic. That's where I swapped for the tri-fold card and made my own, copying the basic tri-fold design. I think that swapping is one of the best ways to learn a new technique, if you don't have something like my techniques workshop/hostess club near you.

The tri-fold card is in the Halloween section. It's really easy to make. I can post a tri-fold card challenge next week or at the start of November. Or better yet, I will be happy to host a tri-fold card swap when the swap board is up and running. Most of my swaps will be technique-based swaps. Be on the lookout!

hugs,
Jane

Alli
10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Girls, you should all try living in the UK where in stamping terms it feels like 1942.
I absolutely love learning new techniques, I run a stamp club with a friend where we teach a new technique or card every month. I learn everything from the internet especially Splitcoast.
My advice would be just to try, if you get it wrong it's a piece of card, just throw it in the bin. Then come on here and ask for advice! :D
Also, don't expect it to look great first time. YOu need to practice new techniques a lot and then the more techniques you do, the better you will become as you try new techniques. This is my experience anyway!:)
Don't be too hard on yourself either. For every one card I keep or send, I throw 5 or 6 in the trash! That's just me though! :D I'm incredibly hard on my own cards, I will only send out a card I am 100% happy with!

Erin K
10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I finally found the trifold card Jane did. Thanks to no one for helping me! hehe

I thought I didn't have anyone here who stamped, then finally went really looking and now I know there is. I'm so grateful I have local girls I can stamp with, even though yall are really my best stamping friends.

Caboverde1
10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I wasnt really a card maker before...I mean, I had made cards but it wasnt something I did alot...Scrapbooking is my THING!!! But I enjoy cardmaking and wish I was better at it. I think I may take some classes too.

Tonii

Spartymom
10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
since meeting everyone on the site. I really am a scrapbooker too. It's hard to find time to get out and make cards or scrapbook with friends. So, friends of this site you have helped me be creative with your ideas. Thank you soo much. Kim:)

mydogstinks2
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
That was why I started swapping cards with you all! Now I have found a few other people near me. I still think I learn more from you guys but I won't tell them that! LOL

dgbearsmom
10-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I have found more people around here that do this stuff too. I just joined a Yahoo group over the weekend that does cards from JOCM and there are 8 of us from KC in that group. That's not why I joined. I didn't even know.

Judy