PDA

View Full Version : Excited....but nervous!

IMBlessed5
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
The elementary school principal called my cell phone while I was at our new house painting today. When I saw the number I thought oh no, one of the kids is sick or hurt! :huh:

She was actually calling to see if I could sub ALL next week for a lady who is a one-on-one aid for a 3rd grade boy with autism. I know the boy as my son is in 3rd grade also. They're not in the same classroom this year but they were last year (there's only 24 3rd graders total, lol). Anyway, I'm very nervous - this is the first time I've ever subbed! I only have an assoc. degree and most sub positions require a bachelor's. I don't want to screw it up!

But I'm also excited to get my foot in the door there. I do volunteer quite a bit (room parent, read with the first graders for Accelerated Reader tests, special events, etc) but my ultimate goal is to have a paying job within the school system which is a LOOOONG shot in our very tiny town!

The hours are 7:30am-3:00pm each day next week. Whew, I haven't worked that many hours in years, ROFL! My last job for 8 years was only 2 days/week and I quit in 2007 to stay home. Will be a busy week plus I'm having a home party Tuesday night for Thirty One Gifts (http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/).

What's funny is I babsit for my friend's daughter. My friend is a .....substitute teacher! What a switch - me telling HER I'm not available next week because I'm subbing, LOL! She didn't have any days scheduled yet thank goodness.

So I appreciate good thoughts, prayers, advice, etc! Sorry to ramble on - I'm just excited, nervous, and thinking out loud. ;)

ccstampin12
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
You'll do fine!
I know you'll be a caring aid for that little boy.
When I was teaching and had special needs students in my classroom, my teacher assistants were always indispensable.
Great to get your foot in the door.
Maybe, with your degree, you could be a teacher assistant! Ours in NYState only needed an Associates degree.
Good luck! And let us know how it went!
HUGS
Joanie

logcabincreations
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Good luck and get PLENTY of rest beforehand :)

hbpuppy
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Good luck. I think the trick is to always stay one step ahead of the little guy. Kids with ASD love roadmaps (i.e. lets do this unprefered activity now so we can do the preferred activity and after that we can go to recess).

teabear
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Best of luck with it. I agree with Joanie, you can be a substitute aid for the district or a regular aid with your degree. Wear comfortable shoes and take plenty of water with you.

jazzypurple853
02-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Good luck! I'm sure your going to a great job!

Vintagegal
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Vicki, We have a client at our facility who is autistic. He responds very well to visual aids, and not necessarily spoken words. He is also very meticulous, and processes things slowly, and with a siginificant attention to detail (almost like an OCD person would). So, if it seems that your autistic student is doing things slower than everyone else, it's because he is probably processing things step-by-step, and he's not multi-tasking, like a lot of people do. Just thought this might help you out......

Good luck! You'll be great! Exercise tons of patience........ take lots of deep breaths.

loobylou
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Good Luck Vicki. Working at school is just the best job I've ever had. You are right tho' getting your foot in the door with subbing is the first step to regular employment.

scraphappy908
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sure you will do very well, Vicki. It can be kind of scary but it is interesting. Best thing to do is to go in about a half hour early and talk to the teacher. Find out what motivates him and keeps him on task. Also find out what things may upset him and what to avoid. Knowing a child's little quirks will be a big help to you when trying to help him!

hutchink
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Good luck Vicki! I am sure you will do great! I will say a prayer for you and cross my fingers for you!

IMBlessed5
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
THANK YOU ladies! I appreciate all of your support and advice!

I do know, from what little I've been around him, that he doesn't like loud noises! I am hoping to go in and talk to his regular aid tomorrow to get an idea of just how much she does to help him, and what things he is expected to do on his own. It will be very interesting!

patcreates
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
V....you will do awesome!!! Hopefully this will need to something more permanent but I think its a great "foot in the door"! Congrats!!

maxiesmom
02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Good luck on getting your foot in the door! And have fun with it!

scrappinnuts
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Goodluck....I am an Occupational Therapist in the school district I have a full caseload of special needs kids most of which are autistic... I deal with setting up sensory diet, visual schedules and helping them with their daily needs to succeed in school on a daily basis... I am sure you will do just fine.... If you need anything just email me. Most of all have fun.

HeatherJ
02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
What a great opportunity for you! Having a full week is wonderful, a chance to really get the routine down and build a relationship with the little guy.

mydogstinks2
02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Good luck and don't forget to wear your running shoes. When my nephew with autisum was that age and he would have a sub they always told the sub in the phone call to wear running shoes. lol

IMBlessed5
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Heather, yes I'm very thankful that it's a full week just for that reason!

Great advice on the running shoes, lol!

Terry, this boy does have OT on Thursdays and my friend's autistic son who's in preschool goes to OT. I just didn't know what it was until now, thanks!

I went and talked to the regular aid this morning. Gained lots of great information. I found out that he can read - not on the full 3rd grade level, but still that's great! And he takes the same spelling test as the rest of the kids but she will quietly sound out the word again just for him. She said the class doing some things to prepare for ISAT testing and most of that is past his range, but just go with the flow. There's such a wide spectrum of austim I wasn't really sure what he was expected to do on his own (he sometimes decides he doesn't want to and says he can't, lol) and what he definitely needs help with. And she told me things like for lunch, she tries to make sure he eats at least 1/2 of his sandwich from his lunchbox before eating the treat that's in there. I was also there when he arrived for school this morning and I told him "I get to hang out with you next week!" and he said "yaaaay" LOL! He knows me as "Braden's mom". We'll have a good time I'm sure.

logcabincreations
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
oh how sweet, and what a great idea to get some pointers from his aide--plus tell him you'll be with him next week. That was very nice.

cindi
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
best of luck Vicki! you'll be great , all the prep work you did will pay off for you both. have fun and enjoy your week of work
:)