PDA

View Full Version : Curly, or straight hair? *pic*

Swanie78
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Yesterday, just for fun, I had my BFF straighten my hair.
Im not sure how I like it. It looks much shinier, but I cant get over the lack of volume. Im a big hair lover....lol
The curly picture is how I normally wear it as Im growing it out. I need to be able to put it in a ponytail for the nursing program (my own requirement ;) ).
The straight picture is one that I just took. This is after being slept on. And I took it while Im sitting here, so theres not really a style to it.
Im gonna wear it into work tonight to see what other people think, but just wondering which one you guys liked.
Trying to decide if I want to invest in a straightener. Im a "minimal" girl. No make up, 5 minute hair do's....lol Dont know if Id like actually spending 45 minutes doing this.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/wadesgirl/hairstyle.jpg?t=1234801116

cindi
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I think it looks great both ways. I too have culry hair and only straighten it occasionally. and like you I mis the volume, I like my big hair! so I always give my bangs lift even when I straighten my hair.
:)

ctinyjoy
02-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I like both on you also...but like you i have curly hair. I straightened it daily for about a year. It did make it very dry even though I would put leave in conditioner and do a deep cleaning on the weekends. I am back to natural curls. I think that is the way you should go.

Christie
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I like it both ways also. I think it's fun that you have curly hair! I think it's great that you can wear curly or if you have the time straighten it. You might invest in a straightner for the days you feel like a change!!!! I have freaky hair, half staright half wavy so if I want to wear my hair down I have to straighten it no if's, and's or butts about it!

Swanie78
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks girls.
BFF's husband looked at me and said "You look younger".
Not sure if thats a compliment or not since people already think Im way younger than I am....lol
The straightener she used she said she got at Costco for about $35. I might have her pick me up one. For that price, I guess if I only used it occasionally it wouldnt be a big deal.
I'll have to play with it more straight to see if I can make it do anything but just lay there...lol

directmailscrapper
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I like both -- but especially like your curly locks! Not everyone has that gift! The hair straightener can become addicting, just ask my daughter. Her hair is straight any way, she just likes the shiny,flat look.

cindi
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Kelly, if you are going to straighten your hair a couple times a week or more please, invest in a good straightener. A cheap straightener will fry your hair, and curly hair thats fried, looks bad! Also be sure to get a thermal styling lotion to help protect your hair, too.
:)

cecescraps
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Cindi is an expert but, I was going to say the same thing about investing in a quality straightener~ the Chi is a great one. Oh, and I like both ways. Sometimes is fun to change things up and it's great that u have the kind of hair that u can do that with. :)

Merry4003
02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
You don't know me, but I will jump in too....hehe Looks nice both ways, but since I have straight, I like curly. My DIL has curly hair like that and she wears it up in pony tail and it is really cute like that. She works in Dr. office too. She says it is super easy, which is the best part.

Mrs. StampFantasy
02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I like both!

suzi_f
02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Speaking as a curl-girl, I vote curly (not that you look bad w/it straight. Oh and younger is ALWAYS better, unless you look 12). First, what's wrong w/curly hair. In another 2 years, everyone will be going curly again. Straight is just a fad. Wasn't straight real popular in the 60s & girls would iron their hair??? w/a REAL iron! Anyway, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Different is always "good" until it's not different anymore. DD looked so cute in her new glasses until we got used to seeing her in glasses & then she looked so cute W/O her glasses!

I'm lazy: no makeup, no hairstyle, no nothing. I would HATE to spend 45 minutes on my hair! I don't think I'd look 45 minutes better. LOL My girl tried to straighten my hair once. I thought it looked horrid!! Mines too thick & it looked all bumpy, not smooth & flat like other peoples. Plus, I think I'd look fatter w/flat hair. No reasoning for it, just my opinion.

tojoco
02-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I actually like both hairstyles on you. Cindi, is our "inhouse" hair expert, and I have to say that my hairdresser gave me th same advice about straighteners. Don't buy a cheap one; make sure it has ceramic plates and a variable temp control or it can fry your ends. You are so lucky to be able to wear your hair both ways.

My3Ds
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I like both styles. I have stick straight hair so anytime I can pick curls that's what I would pick.

Swanie78
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, in all honesty if I bought one, Id probably only do it once a month, if that.
The one my friend used on me last night, was the Costco one, and its the one that she uses almost every day. Her daughter also uses the same one. They both have healthy, shiny hair. Not trying to argue the fact that the heat will wreck my hair, I know that it will. I just dont think for as infrequently that Id use it, that itd make a difference.
I dont want to spend the money on a Chi for something that wont get used that much.
I'll see what my hair looks like after I wash it tomorrow. To see if it seems to dislike the heat.
My hair grows SO FAST that Im not really scared to do anything to it. Almost a year ago exactly, my hair was less than an inch long on my head (BAAAAAD haircut!) and those pictures are the grow out after a year! Part of the reason I dont like to keep it short....lol Because I really could use a haircut every 3-4 weeks and I cant afford that (my stylist charges $40 for a trim).

Inkisallover
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Speaking as a curl-girl, I vote curly (not that you look bad w/it straight. Oh and younger is ALWAYS better, unless you look 12). First, what's wrong w/curly hair. In another 2 years, everyone will be going curly again. Straight is just a fad. Wasn't straight real popular in the 60s & girls would iron their hair??? w/a REAL iron! Anyway, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Different is always "good" until it's not different anymore. DD looked so cute in her new glasses until we got used to seeing her in glasses & then she looked so cute W/O her glasses!

I'm lazy: no makeup, no hairstyle, no nothing. I would HATE to spend 45 minutes on my hair! I don't think I'd look 45 minutes better. LOL My girl tried to straighten my hair once. I thought it looked horrid!! Mines too thick & it looked all bumpy, not smooth & flat like other peoples. Plus, I think I'd look fatter w/flat hair. No reasoning for it, just my opinion.

I used to iron my hair all the time! Then I started using 2 really big orange juice cans at the crown and wrapped the rest of my hair all around my head like it was one gigantic roller and secured it with great big duck bill clips. Ah, those were the days... But Kelly, I like both styles on you. Its fun when you can do different things with your hair.

MidwestStamper
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I naturally have super straight hair, so twice a year I pay big bucks to have my hair permed to look just like your picture #1--LOL! I love how shiny and healthy your hair looks in the curly picture.

logcabincreations
02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
I like both too.

maxiesmom
02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I love your curls. If I did not perm my hair, it would naturally look like your straightened hair. On me it's blah and I can't stand it. Yours does look nice and shiny, but I still love your curls!

Paula Carden
02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I like both too, the curly is fun and cute, the straight does make you look younger. But if you can do the curly do and out the door with little to no work that would be the look I would go for-especially if you work days. Both are great and you could do both just fine. I pay for curls, straight as a stick!

patg
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I like both! You look great with both curly and straight hair!

Nancy
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I like both, try brushing the bottom under. And brush your hair upside down, and you will be surprised how it fluffs out. - Nancy

limeyscrapper
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I like both - and I'm a "no time for messing with hair" gal too. I say get a straightener to use occasionally for fun, and the rest of the time go with your curly "two minute" hairdo.

Darleneh710
02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
I like them both too! I have natural curly hair as well and I like it better when I leave in curly, I think the straight hair makes me look OLDER and I am so not into that lol.

A co-worker of mine has really curly hair/ natural of course and she doesn't straighten it ever, even though I tell her she should have the hair stylist do it once for her to see if it is something she likes, anywho, 8 months ago or so she had her hair stylist straighten a section of her hair on top where it was too curly and they hair stylist told her that it would eventually be curly again, well, she went there the other day for a hair cut and said something to her and the girl told her that the only way it will be curly again is if she cuts off the part that was straightened. I thought that was interesting, it was like her hair dresser told her what she thought she wanted to hear to get her to try that treatment...intersting...

It's funny though, my mom cant stand my hair straight, she loves in curly, my dd doesn't really care either way, same with my bf, my friends at work like it curly for most part, and my bf's daughter loves it straight...she just straightened it in January for a party we all went to.

I don't like the flatness and the feel of product in my hair when I straighten it, plus it NEVER looks as good as when my hair stylist does it lol...I swear they have Magic Fingers lol