PDA

View Full Version : Copic lovers - which ones do you prefer?

iloveflipflops
02-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Sketch?
Original?
Ciao?
Wide?

And why? I have about 20 total and I have all different and I really can't tell a difference. What does this say about me? :)

cindi
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM
it says you love them all! you are not biased and your open to all ways of coloring! lol!!
I don't even know what kind I have, I'd have to go check.
:)

directmailscrapper
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I have mostly Sketch and a few Ciao. I will not buy any more Ciaos. Why you ask? 2 reasons. I can't stand the fact that the Ciaos don't have the numbers on the ends. You have to look at the side of each marker to see what number it is! Once you understand the numbering system -- you realize that the numbers are important!

The other reason -- I can only use Sketch markers in my Air Brush system.

So there.

1of2shoes
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I prefer the sketch markers. I like the brush tip for coloring and the fact that they are not round so that they don't roll off the table. I like that they come in more colors than I'll probably ever need - 322 colors. These markers are refillable.

The Ciaos have the same tips as the Sketch markers, but they are round and only come in 144 colors. I think I want more colors than that. These are refillable.

The original Copic markers. With the exception of only having 214 color choices available, I don't know how they differ from the Sketch markers, really. You can change out the nibs just like the Sketch and the Ciaos and they are refillable.

The wide markers only come in 36 colors and are mainly used for coloring backgrounds and specialized drawing. I only have a few of these and hardly ever use them.

If I were starting out with Copics, I would find a set that fit my budget and had the colors I thought I'd use most with the way I color. Lighter colors vs darker colors, pastels vs. brights, etc. Get a set that had good colors for fleshtones and for shading (some grays). There is a fantastic post (http://papergardenprojects.com/blog/2008/08/28/copic-color-picking-2/)over on the Paper Garden Project that tells how if she had to choose 36 pens, the ones she would choose. I used Cathy's suggestions here to get started with my Copics. BTW, she sells Copics in her store and offers them at a discount. ;)

So I hoped that helped, or did I make it clear as mud (markers)?

Paula Carden
02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I just bought that cute mouse and tree stamp she uses for the markers, I must take time to read it to see how she colors it so mine will be near perfect (ha like that could happen)like hers.
I like the Copics, which ones I haven't decided- the ones with the numbers on the end are sure nice. But I have a few of each.

Vintagegal
02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm a Sketch person, myself. Love the wide tip on one end for wider spaces; and the brush tip for smaller, tighter spots.

GSMom385
02-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I am a sketch person myself mostly but I have ciao and orginal too depends on what I am doing. I like org for small stuff and sketch for blending. ciao are just easy on the budget but I am with Nancy I use the numbers too much.

kerry
02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
I love ALL of them...ALL 344 so that means: I have all 144 Ciao markers and am working on the rest by getting the Sketch.

As for the original, it comes with a hard tip on one end (kinda like Prismacolor Markers). That doesn't really matter since you can change the tips on any of them if you really wanted a different tip.

Kerry

CharleneC
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I have about 50 sketch. I just got a set from Ellen Hutson. It has the perfect blend of colors Enough pastels and intense color. I would say it would be good for coloring nature scenes as well as people too. Here is the linkhttp://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/the-561/COPIC-Designer-Sketch-Markers%2C/Detail

tesschap
02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I have Ciao sets A & D, which I have collected over the last year by way of Gina K's Copic marker club. I am undecided on what I will sign up for next. I would like to collect the Sketch markers and invest in the airbrush system but I'm not sure if I want to invest the $$$.

Great thread.

ccstampin12
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm an ORIGINAL fan. I love that little nib tip on the small end....great for getting into tiny spaces with just a little touch to the paper.
I rarely use the chisel end but have sometimes for larger areas and then I fill in the rest with the small end.
That's my opinion!
Joanie

ctinyjoy
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I have 54 sketch markers and recently ordered 17 more that are on their way from Oozak.com. Right now they are extremely cheap until March 1. Then the copic gods have said that internet stores must sell them the same price as a brick and mortar store. I am waiting for next monday and my copic certification class to see and try the airbrush system.

LaurieU
02-18-2009, 02:32 AM
I have mostly Ciao markers with a few sketch thrown in. Love them! I only get the sketch in the colors that the Ciao don't come in. =) And I airbrush with them too! All you do is add a piece of foam tape on the marker to get it postioned right in the adapter. Ciao's are cheaper on the budget too!

Mom0fgirls
02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
There is a fantastic post (http://papergardenprojects.com/blog/2008/08/28/copic-color-picking-2/)over on the Paper Garden Project that tells how if she had to choose 36 pens, the ones she would choose. I used Cathy's suggestions here to get started with my Copics. BTW, she sells Copics in her store and offers them at a discount. ;)

So I hoped that helped, or did I make it clear as mud (markers)?

Thanks Debbie!!

So glad the post was helpful. I just LOVE my Copics :D

I'm a sketch person myself. The tips are the same as the Ciao but they hold more ink and I love having the numbers on the end. Its so helpful.

I have a couple Originals too - and the bullet tip is useful for small images - but the brush tip is still my favorite.

Mom0fgirls
02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I just bought that cute mouse and tree stamp she uses for the markers, I must take time to read it to see how she colors it so mine will be near perfect (ha like that could happen)like hers.
I like the Copics, which ones I haven't decided- the ones with the numbers on the end are sure nice. But I have a few of each.

I'm sure your cards will be awesome Paula - I'd love to see them when you get a chance to use the sets.

I used those to make gift card holders for the girls' bus Kindergarten bus driver for Christmas. He lives in our neighborhood and he is so nice. The kids love him.

sunshyne
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I bought the Ciao Set B and I LOVE LOVE LOVE these markers. I don't have the sketch, but i could definitely see how having the numbers easier to find would be a bonus, I'm always turning them around to find the numbers and I only have 36... I could imagine if I had hundreds!!!
I can't wait to buy the rest though. The set B is like a teaser and I NEED the numbers inbetween some of them!!! aughh.... an obsession I think LOL
Kendra

Luv2cr8Art
03-02-2009, 04:32 AM
I have mostly Sketch and a few Ciao. I will not buy any more Ciaos. Why you ask? 2 reasons. I can't stand the fact that the Ciaos don't have the numbers on the ends. You have to look at the side of each marker to see what number it is! Once you understand the numbering system -- you realize that the numbers are important!

The other reason -- I can only use Sketch markers in my Air Brush system.

So there.
Nancy,
I see you live in Bowie, MD. I use to live off of Central Ave. Where did you find Copics there??

J-inky2
07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I have mostly Sketch ones. but I do have a few of the Ciaco. I love the Rich deep color's that they both supply.

ellie
07-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Sketch for me...I like the brush tip. I do have several of the square ones...I don't know which ones they are but I got them because I like the colors and the others weren't available.