PDA

View Full Version : We're going to put our son in charge of our itinerary when we go to DC in two weeks

Vintagegal
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
We think this will be a great idea to learn how to be organized on a trip. So, DH and I have set up the plane tickets and our hotel. Now, we're going to put DS in charge of making sure we get to our gates on time. Once we've landed in D.C., we're going to ask him to get us to our hotel using the metro system. Then, on Friday, 3/6, we're going to ask him to get us to the Pentagon on time (also, using the metro system). So, that's going to involve planning when we need to be dressed, fed, and at the metro station on time. After our event at the Pentagon, we're going to leave it up to him to decide what we're going to do for the rest of the day and weekend, and figure out how we're going to get there. That'll include going to the White House, the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, or wherever else.

The only stipulation we have for him is that we have to use the metro system or walk to wherever we need to go. No calling a cab or anything like that. Of course, DH and I will pay for the metro fare. DS just has to figure out which "line" we're supposed to be on, and the schedule.

This is good practice for him, don't you think? Gotta figure, in four years, he'll be going off to college, perhaps in very busy and strange city. By then, I hope he'll have some street-smarts to figure his way around a large city. I'm going to suggest to him that he go online, before we leave, and get an idea of where we are staying, and where the Pentagon and airport are in relationship to where we are staying.

cecescraps
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a great plan Ethel. I'm sure you will have a back-up plan of action though~ right!?! :)

cecescraps
02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Ethel, I don't know if you know about this but, The Kennedy Center offers FREE concerts on certain nites. The performance will vary~ musical, dance, etc... Might not fit into your plans but, just thought I would let you know about the possibility.

lakeslady
02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Fabulous idea Ethel and I am sure he will come through with flying colors. Look how well he did with his job interview?
I used to worry like crazy about my stepson when he decided to backpack around Australia. The experience stood in good stead, as he has been there twice and done a trip to Brazil and a trip down the Amazon
However we would not be Moms if we did not worry for them, and I think your idea to put him in charge of the itinerary is a great idea of yours.

shadoob
02-20-2009, 05:25 PM
good for you! I did that with our kids and they are SO good at it now. Of course, it also means that they both go galavanting all over the WORLD since they can figure out how to do it. We do travel a lot and each trip, I'd give them more to do...like plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc...it's a gift for our kids. Have fun!

tojoco
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I am positive that Lucas will live up to the challenge. He's a bright guy and he'll have fun doing it. What a great learning experience for him (of course with Mom and Dad as backup help, if needed). Great parenting, Ethel.

directmailscrapper
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Did you give him my phone number? So he can make sure to set aside time for us to grab lunch or something? :-) I love this plan. I know he'll do a fabulous job!

loobylou
02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
My 14 yr old can do this. It's a great life skill. Here we have a website for our public transport system that you can plug in your start and finish points and your time you need to be there by and it gives you the exact, bus, train ferry etc to catch along the way. It makes life easy when planning trips that's for sure

Far North
02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
What a great plan to help Lucas learn some life skills. I expect he will handle it all very well and rise to meet a great challenge.

logcabincreations
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
great idea......if I ever decide to fly I'll call your son...lol

teabear
02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Fantastic plan. I didn't learn how to do that until I was in my early 20's. Big cities are fun.

mydogstinks2
02-21-2009, 04:49 AM
I think it's a great idea. I love the part about him learning the metro line. I never had to know any of that growing up. When we moved to Oregon and I needed to take the bus for some things I had no idea how to even figure out where to go or what bus to be on.

jazzypurple853
02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I think it's a wonderful idea. I've been to DC twice, and I just took the metro and did a lot of walking. If you have time, perhaps you could do a night tour. You go on a tour bus, and do a tour of the city at night. It's really cool! I got to see the Kennedy Arts center, I think that is what it's called, the lincoln memorial , and other things that I forget. The bus driver that we had was really good.

mahodgman
02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Awsome! I used to be scared of the bus...lol I grew up in a semi-rural area where you had to drive everywhere, so I never learned how to figure out the bus routes or schedules. This will definitely be a good lesson for him.

CharleneC
02-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Great idea. Especially nice since the Washington DC metro is so easy to use.