PDA

View Full Version : Any know anything about Playlist.com

suzi_f
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
DD wants to use this site 'cause she says it will allow her to put her music on her FB account. Anyone know anything about it?? Looks like a music share kinda site & I don't want her to get in any trouble w/anything like Limewire or other sharing sites.

IMBlessed5
02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I use it! Myspace won't allow you to put a playlist on their site, but that's the only one I know of. Facebook should be ok. Myspace's reasoning had something to do with the fact that the artists have not given express consent for their music to be played all of the internet for free. Personally, I think it has MORE to do with the fact that Myspace has their own music list option and they want you to use that one, LOL. I don't really know though, didn't research it.

I also don't really know how to explain what it is compared to Limewire because I'm not familiar with that one. Playlist isn't anything you have to download to your computer, you just pick your favorite songs and it puts them all in a list and it generates the code for you to put it on your website, blog, or whatever.

suzi_f
02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, Vicki, I'm trusting you! If you have it and your computer has not blown up, I'll let her use it. I don't understand it at all. Thanks :)

smkymtsu
02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I used it for my blog and loved it. But right after I downloaded all my songs and put it on my blog I developed a virus. I had to have my computer "cleaned". Then Christmas ended and I wanted to change the songs on my blog so I downloaded new songs to change the ones on my blog.....BINGO another virus! Had to have my computer cleaned again and the source of the virus was found to be coming from playlist.com. So I no longer use it, I got rid of it completely. However I know several people who use it with no problems. I guess both times I just happened to pick songs to download that were infected. I was told by my computer guy that you need to be careful with any type of shareware sites. I wish I could use it because I loved it but I can't afford a third cleaning!

suzi_f
02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, so you actually GET songs from there??? I thought it just allowed her to use her actual iPod playlist to put songs on her blog & FB. Hmm, maybe we should rethink this. She doesn't need to add music to her FB (she doesn't have a blog, what am I thinking???)

shadoob
02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
uh oh... I recently got a whole bunch of songs from there. I just click on it and listen to it while I am at my computer all dang day and night....No virus yet.....now i"m nervous.

smkymtsu
02-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Ok, so you actually GET songs from there??? I thought it just allowed her to use her actual iPod playlist to put songs on her blog & FB. Hmm, maybe we should rethink this. She doesn't need to add music to her FB (she doesn't have a blog, what am I thinking???)

Yes, you get songs from the site but differently than what I think you might be thinking. It is a shareware site....meaning songs are loaded on there by people all over the world. You can go on there and build a playlist from that site....not from your iPod or iTunes......only songs that are on their site. You build a playlist then you get a code that creates a player that you can load onto facebook or a blog that allows you to play all the songs that you just loaded into your playlist. You can only play the songs by using their player whether it's from their site on where ever you loaded their player on to.....such as facebook. The songs can not be transferred to your iPod or put permanently on to your computer to be played without the use of their player. I should probably not use the word virus.....what the site did to me was it loaded spyware/ adware onto my computer that took control of my computer. I was not able to use my computer without TONS of ads popping up.....at the rate of one every two seconds....it would redirect my homepage to adware and it slooooooowed down my computer tremendously. It was a HUGE headache. Twice it happened so I just don't go there any more. If you google the site with spyware / adware warnings you will get a whole bunch of stuff come up with other people who had the same problem. But yet I know some people who so far have been fine. I guess I just picked songs that were infected. But no.....you can not use songs from your iPod with this site. You must use songs on their site that are coming from all over....shareware.

suzi_f
02-22-2009, 08:47 AM
She does NOT need it then!!! Thanks guys!

IMBlessed5
02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I have a playlist player on my blog and also one with Christian music on our church's website. I've have never had a problem! I use PCcillin anti-virus/adware/spyware software and it is awesome at blocking stuff like that! I don't get pop ups in general but I've never had any issues with using playlist. This is the first I've heard of it but then I never knew to research it either. Just didn't occur to me since it works great for what I need.

In my opinion, you can't be on the internet at all without getting hit with potential spyware or adware. It's all over the net! You just need a good program that blocks it (and not one thats downloaded from the internet, I'm afraid of those, lol)

Good luck Suzi, whatever you do!