PDA

View Full Version : how tacky is this?

Erin K
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
ok Stephen's birthday is next month. the kid does not need or even want toys. my mom is getting him, well the family, a memebership to the children's museum that is about a mile from here, we have been, he loves it, it's a perfect gift. Brian and I are taking him either bowling or minigolfing and of course I'll make/decorate a cake.

my dad and stepmom spoil him. That's so there right, no complaints.

he REALLY wants this bendaroo craft thing. I'ts like colored yard diped in wax, I'm sure I could make it but whatever. you can bend and shape them, then take it all back apart, he got like 4 of them once as the little thing they give kids at a resturant.

Can he call his Grammy Sue and ask specifically for that? They usually get him a jpile of high end clothes and some expensive toy. These things are $20 and I tell you he jwill get hours and hours out of them. So is that too tacky? To ask them to get something specific? Should I let them just do their thing? He suggested the call, so I can let him just handle it, but Sue is sort of Miss Manners about stuff. But wouldn't they want to get him the thing he really really wants.

$20 is outside of my just picking him up a toy range by the way. maybe i'm a shrew but it's just a bit too much. Even if he really wants it.

shadoob
03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
It really depends on THEM...you know them better than anyone else. SOme grandparents would love to know what the kids want...and others...well....they want to get what they want to get.

I don't know, but $20. isnt that much fo r something he'll enjoy for so much time. I'd call if they seem open to it. I don't think it's tacky..but they are NOT obligated to get it.

scrappinnuts
03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I think that is perfectly ok to call and ask for the sticks directly...we call them wiki sticks...they are loads of fun.

loobylou
03-06-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't think it is tacky at all- but then I come from a different culture really. Over here, my parents will always ring my kids and say 'what do you want for your birthday?". The kids know that they shouldn't ask for anything extravagant (they are 12 and 14).

GrammaStamper
03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
From a Grandma's perspective, I would love to know what the DGKids would like. I think it would be okay.

Christie
03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't think it's tacky. I had rather know what someone wants and be told then to get them something they won't use.

mydogstinks2
03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I think if that is what he wants then he sould ask for them.

My3Ds
03-06-2009, 07:43 AM
My dm always asks the boys what they want. I'd say mention it and let her decide if she wants to get that or not.

maxiesmom
03-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Gee everyone in our family comes right out and asks the kids what they all want for any occasion! I say go for it!

iloveflipflops
03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Not tacky at all. She doesn't have to get it for him but at least she will know what he really wants.

midnitecreations
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think it's tacky. Both sets of grandparents are always asking me what the kids want. However, it depends on the grandparents. Does your stepmom not ask what the kids want? If so, you could always slip it into the conversation as to what Stephen really wants and how much he'd enjoy it. I'm sure she would rather get him something he'll love playing with.

Mrs. Fence
03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
My MIL/FIL are ALWAYS happy to get a "list" of things to choose from. They have 12 grandchildren/great grandchilren and don't always get to see them all enough to know what they would really like. Jacob makes a list for them, that way they can have a few choices, and it's still a surprise for him. He highlights his favorites for them so they know what he would especially like. I don't think it's tacky at all, especially if it's grandkids/grandparents involved.

ccstampin12
03-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Erin,
I think I'd call them first, out of Steven's hearing, to tell them he is asking to call with a birthday request.
You could tell them you're just giving them a heads up on the call so they'll know it's coming!
Good luck!
Joanie

directmailscrapper
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
My Mom would WELCOME a suggestion. But you know them, so use your judgement. I bet they'd be tickled if he made the phone call -- irresistible, I'm sure!

tesschap
03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Erin,
I think I'd call them first, out of Steven's hearing, to tell them he is asking to call with a birthday request.
You could tell them you're just giving them a heads up on the call so they'll know it's coming!
Good luck!
Joanie

I agree with Joanie. I think you should give them a heads up that Steven has asked to call them with the one gift he really wants for his birthday. We used to do this with my MIL when our boys were little. She has always been very generous with gift giving and many times over did it when they just wanted one little item. By having them call it validates what you could suggest to them. Now our boys want big ticket items - new tv's, household appliances, etc. and knock on wood - MIL is still buying what they want (or need) now.

Erin K
03-06-2009, 02:43 PM
well i emailed Sue and we were working out when the will visit and i gave her heads up that Stpehen was wanting to ask her about a birthday present.

She said that was totally fine.

Then we called her and he told her. She told him maybe, but she told me definately. :)

cecescraps
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
How sweet! I love getting calls from Ally & Nora (DH's grandkids) and Cece & G-Daddy love getting them something they really want!!

ccstampin12
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm happy it is working out for Steven!
Joanie

cindi
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm glad it went well, adn Stephen has set a new presentent, so n ow you know in the future it's ok, Good for you's
:)

stampcrazyjulie
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
See, Erin....I bet it was a relief for Sue as well, so she knew exactly what to get him....and also ends up saving them money!

My Family is VERY lax about this subject. :goofy: No manners here I guess.... After getting so many Toys and other items for my 4 Kids, that they DON'T play with, I now always indirectly "suggest" a few different small or cheap items or say so and so likes Spiderman or whatever..... In this day & age I would much rather be tacky & suggest something that my Kids really want then to have somebody get them something that ends up wasting the Gifter money and adding to our Toy stockpile at my House! :biglaugh:

Actually tomorrow is my DS's 5th Birthday.....we have a Funeral for my BIL in the AM and then we are going roller skating and "bouncing" in the afternoon....I took him shopping this afternoon and let him pick some stuff that he wanted....I also bought some stuff that he does not know about......I am figuring with the circumstances of tomorrow, the extended Family will not be remembering his Birthday anyways....:cry2: