PDA

View Full Version : Need good Salmon Patties recipe

maxiesmom
03-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have a really good recipe to share? I had a friends mother that made the best ones when I was a child and we could never find a recipe as good. Mom just tried a highly rated one from recipezaar and she said they were dry. I know I tried the recipe on the can once and it was yucky too.
Surely someone must have a good recipe!

Far North
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Kathy...I find salmon patties are not an exact science type of recipe since there are lots of variables. Sometimes the moisture depends on how much liquid the salmon has absorbed in the canning process or if the salmon you are buying is with skin and bones-the amount of actual fish varies, also the size of the egg used. Chilling the patties before cooking helps to hold the mixture together. Enjoy experimenting!

Salmon cakes
(14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
1 small onion, chopped and sauté
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup ritz cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Optional- a touch of minced garlic or garlic powder.
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for coating
Olive oil

Directions
1.Drain salmon, remove any skin or bones.
2.Sauté onion.
3.Combine salmon, sauté onion, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, cheese and parsley; mix well. Shape into six patties. Dust lightly with flour.
4. Chill for 20 minutes.
5.In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels before serving.
Sauce-Mix Dijon or Honey Dijon Mustard, mayo, lemon juice, garlic powder, & pepper.

teabear
03-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I was just thinking that when we have leftover fish, this would be a good way to use it. About how much fish do you think that is if you measure it in a measuring cup, Jan. I'm thinking it's about 2 cups after it's flaked. The guys have 3 deep sea trip already scheduled. Let the fishing season begin!

Far North
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes Tami, I too end up with fish leftovers...and will do this type of mixture with all that is leftover...so I kinda go for the little pinch and a dash of...method. I agree 2 cups is probably a reasonable estimate for other flaked fished with these seasonings. I use a whole lot less parsley when using dried parsley instead of the fresh the recipe calls for.

cindi
03-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I make mine pretty much the same as Jans, exept I don't use hot sauce, or cheese, and I use an extra egg, I like mine a little lighter, so the extra egg works well.
I also like to make egg gravy sometimes with mine.
:)

maxiesmom
03-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you ladies! Now I just need to get some salmon! I'll pass the recipe along to my mom as well.

logcabincreations
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Actually if using canned salmon, you can eat the skin and bones and they are good for you....just mash up the bones really well. I drain, add about 1/2 cup minced onion, about 1 teaspoon of dill spice, 1 teaspoon of parsley, one egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, dash pepper and salt. I mix it all up the night before I want to have for dinner; cover and refrigerate to let all the seasoning and onion flavor the salmon. Next day I stir well and form patties. I usually coat with a little flour and fry slowly in a little canola oil until golden brown on both sides.

Never thought to try worcestershire sauce...think I'll add that next time.