PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have had shoulder surgery

iloveflipflops
03-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I was watching a you tube video last night on this guy who had this sling on his arm. He showed how to take a XXXXXL tshirt and cut it down the seam on the side all the way up to the arm hole and then add velcro down the sides so he just slipped it over his head.

We go pick up the sling today so I will know how big this thing is but I thought I may do this for Charlie. There won't be anyway he is getting his arm in an arm hole of any shirt for weeks!! What do you think?

He said to get a tshirt 3 times the size so I may get a 3x (if that comes in men's sizes).

shadoob
03-30-2009, 08:57 AM
I just wore really big shirts and sweatshirts...not the best in a fashion statement....lucky men dont have to worry about bras too! Youa re right- there is NO way he's going to be lifting the arm up for a few weeks...

Mrs. Fence
03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Hubby has had shoulder surgery on both shoulders. We have an XXL front zip sweatshirt. It's huge, so if you slide the arms on for him, it's no problem. Just stand behind him and pull it up, just like a kid. Then zip up the front, and there you go. No sewing! good luck, it is a very painful surgery. Make sure he has good drugs!

iloveflipflops
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
If he has to wear this sling for several weeks, how will that arm go into the sleeve? I don't think it will.

scrappinnuts
03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
If he has to wear this sling for several weeks, how will that arm go into the sleeve? I don't think it will.

Hi Sherri ... Speaking strickly from a therapy point of view... I have had 100's of Shoulder Surgeries that I have taken care of when I worked in Rehab... if Charlie puts his injured arm in his shirt first then it will be eaiser for him to get dressed...and Big button or zip shirts are the best at least in the begginning. Will he have any Therapy? If so They will teach him ways to put on his shirt.
GOODLUCK and I will be praying for you all.

shadoob
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
His arm will not always be in a sleeve at first....it will be inside the shirt...but that's ok..becasue he will just be a big drugged out blob on the couch for the 1st week anyway. He'll barely notice it that first week....Then, when therapy (painful movements)starts....then he can put his arm in the sleeve...

iloveflipflops
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
He has his surgery on Thursday and his first therapy is on MONDAY. Should he wear a button up shirt to surgery?

suzi_f
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I have no answers for you Sherri but I'm scared for you! Yikes. I know it's gonna be really, really hard on your dh but I know how hubbys are when they are ailing!! I'm worried how YOU'RE going to handle it all!!! I'll keep you BOTH in my thoughts!!

iloveflipflops
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope I "survive" and we don't get divorced over it all. LOL

Just kidding of course. He has only had one other surgery and that was a hernia operation and he took no pain killers or anything so I really think (key word is think) he will do ok. I am a bigger baby than he is!

Ask me Thursday after its all over!

suzi_f
03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Scott's had a hernia & 4 wisdom teeth cut out. He acted like he was going to die both times. Funny thing, his vasectomy was a walk in the park for him. Go figure! His current ankle situation is enough to make me want to drive over him w/the car too!!

Kreative Dryve
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
With mine, I just wore either extra large shirts or button-ups. I always put my surgical arm in first, and then manuvered the rest of the way.

My worst part was trying to wash my long thick hair with one arm. That was hard!

Hope it all goes well, and he heals wonderfully!

Mrs. Fence
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM

I'm surprised they want it kept in a sling. What kind of surgery is it? When Ralph had his done, they wanted him moving it as soon as possible, so it wouldn't freeze up.

I would have him wear an oversized zip up or button up shirt for surgery - for sure. Ralph's surgeon gave him a sheet of do's and don'ts for surgery and after.

Like the others said, he may not put that arm in the sleeve at first, but it will be much easier getting a zip up the front shirt on and off. Buttons will take longer, but the main thing is not to have to put anything over the head and hurt the shoulder.

Hope this helps, and we'll keep you all in our prayers.

cindi
03-30-2009, 03:23 PM
gary wore button up shirts after his surgery, always put the injured arm in first. Good luck, my friend
:)