PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a choice

Erin K
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Ok yall I'm torn.

There is a cardmaking retreat coming up. Well it's not until October. It will be $225 if I pay by the 15th of this month, $300 if I wait. So if I do it I need to do it now. It's with Faith of Stamping with Markie's Mom (http://stampinwithmarkiesmom.blogspot.com/).
I am a HUGE fan of hers. Actually she lives in my town, so that's fun too. So you make 20 projects, plus some technique classes, and your food is included and two nights stay at the cabins she rents out for it. (although I'd probably come back late the second night so I could go to church the following morning) All supplies included as well.

OR

I could sign up to be a Stampin' Up! demo. I am lately in love with all the SU stuff. I know I hear, "Oh it's all the same" and stuff but for ME it's all fab. I love the cute punches, the stamps, the cardstocks, I'm just head over heels lately. I want to have some casual classes and stuff if I do it. I have two friends here who will both throw parties with me if I sign up and a few friends who said they will for sure order. So I think with that and my own personal orders I should be ok on keeping my minimums. I have been collecting up ideas for what to teach.

I used to teach classes and I loved it, so I think I'll like demonstrating again. (Did TAC a few years ago)

Anyhow I'm only going to have enough money for one. This year.

Of course I could always do either one another time. Faith does the retreats about twice a year from what I can tell and you can sign up for SU anytime. *I would do it right after the new catty comes out*

So what should I do this year?

teabear
04-09-2009, 01:59 PM
If it were me, I'd do the retreat. I think there's nothing like getting in a wonderful class with a talented teacher. I love that it's a whole weekend, it sounds like you get your money's worth. If you really want to teach again, that option is there with your LSS, right? Honestly, I love SU, but I'm patient. I usually buy stuff when the new catalog comes out and people sell their old stuff. New to me and I'm happy and my pocketbook doesn't take a huge hit.

Having said all that, do what your heart tells you to do. Let it sit for a while and the answer will be there.

tojoco
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I would choose the SU Demonstrator. You are good at teaching classes and you could start NOW. This way you could save money from your SU business to help the cost of the next retreat. And since you said you would already have at least 2 SU workshops scheduled, I'm sure it would all blossom from there. You're already in love with SU products and I always say if you're passionate about a product, it will be an easy sell for you.

teabear
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Joanne makes a great point. I didn't think about making enough money for the next retreat. So clever.

Darleneh710
04-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Erin, I would chose to be the SU demo, I have always wanted to be on myself, but the opportunity and financial part of it never coincided lol...meaning...I dont have the $$ lol

bubblegum girl
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I say demo. Right now SU is actually having a 3month pay demo sign up (dunno if that sounds right) but you pay yoru signup fee over 3 months. a us demo could tell you better the price etc than i

suzi_f
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I say SU too. But, you have to decide what is right for you!!! Or bag them both & come to 'palooza!!

cindi
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
this is a tough one! I like the idea of doing the SU then use those earnings to go to the next retreat. do let us know what you decide.
:)

mydogstinks2
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I voted to be a SU demo now and make enough money from that to do the next retreat.

Erin K
04-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok yall, reaslistly I'm NOT going to make enough money with SU to do anything like a retreat. haha. I might make enough to buy the supplies for the classes.

Firecracker
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I said SU. You never know, you could make enough money to go on the retreat. Hugs, Heather

Paula Carden
04-09-2009, 05:01 PM
You could do your own retreat for a day some where if you are SU demo

stampinmom3
04-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I say be a demo!

iloveflipflops
04-09-2009, 09:56 PM
What did you decide Erin?

Christie
04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I would do the retreat! If you become a demo you have to worry meeting your goal all the time. The retreat just sounds fun and relaxing!

mahodgman
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I think her retreat must be fabulous because that seems really expensive to me! Convention is only $280. That doesn't include your room, but still......I vote for DEMO! I love being a SU Demo, and I can't believe I waited so long to sign up.

tesschap
04-10-2009, 07:00 AM
I would do the retreat. As a former SU hobby demo who spent way more money that I should have on SU toys I found it was more dangerous to our family income than a help - if ya know what I mean! If you're thinking of doing SU as a business I'd suggest becoming a demo but if you are doing it for the discounts, etc. I don't think its the best idea. Let me know if you end up doing the retreat.

Do you have a link to Faith's retreat? I love Faith and I'd consider doing her retreat too. I have to check to see what the drive time is from the gulf coast but we are usually in FL in October so it's a possibility.

Let us know what you decide.

CharityHand
04-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd go to the retreat. You can always join SU later, but the retreat will come and go without you.

Erin K
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I would do the retreat. As a former SU hobby demo who spent way more money that I should have on SU toys I found it was more dangerous to our family income than a help - if ya know what I mean! If you're thinking of doing SU as a business I'd suggest becoming a demo but if you are doing it for the discounts, etc. I don't think its the best idea. Let me know if you end up doing the retreat.

Do you have a link to Faith's retreat? I love Faith and I'd consider doing her retreat too. I have to check to see what the drive time is from the gulf coast but we are usually in FL in October so it's a possibility.

Let us know what you decide.

On her side bar thingie on her blog is just a tiny note about it. it says to email for more info, so I did.

the more info is where I got the cost and all. Hold on I'll get the email stuff for ya.

The retreat will be held in Stephen Foster State Park, located north, off I-10 in Florida. I rent all the
cabins, which are "CONDO" type. They sleep 6 comfortably. They each
have a kitchen, fireplace and full bath. The Cabins are used to SLEEP
in.

The events are held in the Auditorium. There is a FULL agenda for
Friday from 4PM-MIDNIGHT!
Saturday begins with breakfast at 6:30-8:30AM and ends at 11PM on
Saturday evening.

All meals,lodging in the cabin, snacks, drinks and supplies for the
projects*, (*except the Shoebox Swap), are included in the price.

The cost is $300 per person, with a DISCOUNTED price of $225 if paid in
full by April 15, 2009. The FIRST 5 to pay in full get to CHOOSE the
weekend with a choice of the top 2!

Can you go??? If you go I will FOR SURE choose the retreat.

loobylou
04-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Erin, I picked the retreat. For me that would be about freedom (to have time to yourself, play and learn)and the SU Demo thing would be about commitment (to make the sales.

tesschap
04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
On her side bar thingie on her blog is just a tiny note about it. it says to email for more info, so I did.

the more info is where I got the cost and all. Hold on I'll get the email stuff for ya.

Can you go??? If you go I will FOR SURE choose the retreat.

Do you know what weekend in October it is? I just emailed her for more info. I am going to run it past DH today. I'm sure he'll be ok with it as it's hunting season then any how. As soon as I know for sure what weekend I'm make a commitment and I will definetely pay before April 15th to get the discount.

iloveflipflops
04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree with Sarah. The retreat sounds awesome!!!!

iloveflipflops
04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Is this a place where "we" as Shackies could rent out sometime in the fall and we could plan a east coast shackapaloosa?!??!?!?!

TiikkiStars
04-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Erin, I didn't vote becaue my answer has qualifications! :>

I'd say if you are gung ho about SU, you have clients already set up, and you charge a small fee for your classes (then your supplies are covered if your students do not make a purchase from you), then go for the SU demo!

If you just like the 20% discount (which is the discount you are essentially getting if you place a big enough order to have your own party .... I know the percent is higher if you are making sales and get to certain numbers though), don't want to charge for your parties, think you could use a relaxing weekend away (what Mommy couldn't use a little time for herself?!), then go for the retreat!

Okay, since you asked...there's my two cents! :>

:> Karen

tesschap
04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Faith has changed the early payment date to April 20th. She said if I paid by then I could tell her what weekends I prefer and she'd try to work around that.

Erin - do you have any weekends that you can't go? I'm leaning towards chosing Friday October 16th weekend as my first choice. The last weekend is Halloween and too close to my Dallas 3-Day walk.

Any other Shackies interested as well?

Erin K
04-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Teresa, Brian has committed to any of the weekends, he will just work around me. So tell ME when you like and I'll vote for that too! I think she said everyone who pays early or the first 5 or whatever get a say. I'll just say what you like as they are all the same for me.

Erin K
04-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Teresa Brian wants me to go any weekend EXCEPT the 10th, although if it is that weekend he will still be fine, that is a home game for FSU so he will try to attend that.

tesschap
04-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Teresa Brian wants me to go any weekend EXCEPT the 10th, although if it is that weekend he will still be fine, that is a home game for FSU so he will try to attend that.

Gary told me last night to go ahead and book whatever weekend I want and to pay for it before the 20th :) The retreat is Friday & Saturday. My first choice is October 16 & 17; second choice is October 23 & 24; third choice is October 2 & 3. Really any of these weekends work for me. Do you (or Brian) have a preference? I'm good with any one of them.

Erin K
04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Teresa, Can you please request in this order:

Octover 2 and 3
then 16 and 17
then 23 and 24

That is my personal favorite order as I don't have church on the 4th so I could stay the saturday night too (I was going to drive home late so I'd be here for church Sunday.

If that works for you let me knwo and I'll pay too and we can request the same lineup.

WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

tesschap
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Teresa, Can you please request in this order:

Octover 2 and 3
then 16 and 17
then 23 and 24

That is my personal favorite order as I don't have church on the 4th so I could stay the saturday night too (I was going to drive home late so I'd be here for church Sunday.

If that works for you let me knwo and I'll pay too and we can request the same lineup.

WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

The dates are perfect for me Erin. I will request the same dates and I will pay this week. I'm on my way to run some errands but will email her my preferred dates as soon as I get back.

I'm getting excited now :)

maxiesmom
04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Well I am very excited for the both of you. I picked the retreat as well. A friend of mine & I went to a place called Scrap & Spa several years ago. We didn't have classes it was just like a crop, except you could sign up for spa services. What you are getting sounds like a very good price. I almost think we paid even more for our weekend and you are getting classes and instruction. Sounds fabulous and I am so happy for you!! Have fun!

cindi
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
how cool!!! I'm so happy you two will meet up and go!! you MUST take pics to share with us!! fun fun fun!!

tesschap
04-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Kathy & Cindi - you could always join us :) Southwest does fly into JAX.

tesschap
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Is this a place where "we" as Shackies could rent out sometime in the fall and we could plan a east coast shackapaloosa?!??!?!?!

Sounds like a plan.

Will you consider driving down to join us in October?

cindi
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM

very tempting!! if I had any extra$$..you know I would be there!

tesschap
04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
very tempting!! if I had any extra$$..you know I would be there!

Well - I have six months to hope and keep my fingers crossed :)

shuggy
04-12-2009, 01:14 PM
don't do either and come to the vegas palooza in oct!!

maxiesmom
04-12-2009, 02:43 PM

I went to Vegas in Jan., Palooza in April and Colorado with the nephews planned for August. I can only take so many trips in one year. Now if I only won the lottery and didn't have to work? :idea:

Erin K
04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I emailed Faith and told her. I'm SO excited I could just do a gig. :)

Oh and she gave me her address and she lives less than 4 miles from my house! WOW. I need to better canvas the area for stampers.

tesschap
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I emailed Faith and told her. I'm SO excited I could just do a gig. :)

Oh and she gave me her address and she lives less than 4 miles from my house! WOW. I need to better canvas the area for stampers.

My check is going postal tomorrow. I was planning to Paypal her but DH told me to mail a check to save her the Paypal fees. I can't wait! I'm not yet sure where I am flying into. Southwest isn't taking reservations for October yet. I'm hoping my boss will ask me to work in Orlando or Tampa the week before or after the retreat. That way my airfare will be paid :)

I'm so excited too Erin. I don't want to wish the summer away but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Erin K
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I think I'm going to just meet her and give her the check in person! Hurray!!!

tesschap
04-14-2009, 06:54 AM
I think I'm going to just meet her and give her the check in person! Hurray!!!

Lucky you :) I wish I lived that close!