PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about law or lawyers?

mydogstinks2
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if lawers still offer "free advice"? I have been placed in a situation where I need to sue someone. I have no idea how to even go about doing this but I know it is the only ay to get my money. I'm not talking a few bucks here, it's $4,200 owed to me. Plus I now have a basement full of abandoned property they say they do not want and a car sitting in my drive way they do not want. How long do i have to keep this stuff around before I can get rid of it?? If I can and do sue them how do you serve papers to someone in another state?

maxiesmom
04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
See if your county has a legal aid group. I had to use this once years ago and it gave us a free hour of legal advice. I'm sure there must be someone out there who can help you.

cindi
04-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm sure the laws vary state by state. Here in Maine if the value of the property left behind is under 500.00 we don't have to store it. if it's more we do for a period of time & I can't remember what that is. do you have a free legal service there? good luck to you.
:nod:

logcabincreations
04-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know if lawers still offer "free advice"? I have been placed in a situation where I need to sue someone. I have no idea how to even go about doing this but I know it is the only ay to get my money. I'm not talking a few bucks here, it's $4,200 owed to me. Plus I now have a basement full of abandoned property they say they do not want and a car sitting in my drive way they do not want. How long do i have to keep this stuff around before I can get rid of it?? If I can and do sue them how do you serve papers to someone in another state?

Chris...here in Virginia you can call the general district court and ask them what type of paper do you file to sue someone for that much money. You should be able to do this yourself. There will be a filing fee. Of course...if they are out of state, you may have to find a process server to serve the paper unless you can serve them while they are here picking up their stuff....I certainly would not mail their belongings to them. The court may be able to give you info on out of state processing.

Also in Virginia we have a legal aid society...so check your yellow pages for legal aid.

Some attorney's will give free advice over the phone...my boss does it all the time.

GSMom385
04-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Chris, I know our soccer group contacted the law college at our local university and they helped them with free legal advice. It was a way for students to practice and it was supervised by a professor who was an attorney and I know they had to pay a very small fee. I want to say like $40 for help filing all the non profit papers and legal documents and taxes. I think most of that was to cover the filing at the clerks office. It was a lot of stuff, I know they had contacted another attorney and it was going to be like $500 just to look at some of it. You might check it out if you state has a law college at the state university. Ours takes about anything, as I said it gives the students practical things to practice on with the help of their teacher.

GotCats?
04-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Contact lucy04kitties--she helped me out when I took someone to small claims court. She's dealt with legal stuff before.

Patty
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Some of the towns where I live have one night (each month?) where lawyers come and give free legal advice. You just need to be there on the right night. Maybe that is available where you live? Good luck--I feel very bad for you, but I do think it's better to be a good person, like you definitely are, than the other kind. Hang in there. ((((hugs))))