PDA

View Full Version : big shot vs cuttlebug

shuggy
05-03-2009, 03:33 AM
my cuttlebug is somewhat broken, so i want to get something new. those of you with a big shot, what's the difference between the big shot and the cuttlebug? i definately don't take it anywhere, so i don't need the fold up cuttlebug. is the big shot a little more sturdy?

thanks!

Paula Carden
05-03-2009, 07:04 AM
The Big Shot is certainly more sturdy than the cuttlebug. I had a cuttlebug and it lasted about a week. Also I have had the sizzix press-which worked well but after years of use it finally cracked. So I bought the Big Shot. I can do everything with it-the big dies, cuttbug folders and dies, sizzlets, nesties etc.... they all work well. It doesn't feel like it will tear up or come apart like the Cuttlebug. I like it and keep it right on my table where I stamp.

workin4stamps
05-03-2009, 07:23 AM
I like my Big Shot Angie---but I always liked my Cuttlebug too. I never had any problems with it, but I guess I probably didn't use it as much as some people would. Cheryl (shadoob) bought my CB and hopefully it's still working great for her!!

The Big Shot does seem sturdier, but I always just figured it was because of the size. You can also cut other materials with the Big Shot that are not approved for the CB. I have seen some really cool stuff cut out of pop cans, leather, etc.

:-)

loobylou
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I have used both, own neither, but a Big Shot is on my wish list. It just seems stronger, and takes all different materials, as Traci said. As soon as they come out in our Aussie Stampin'Up! catty I'll be having a show and getting one. I was so disapointed that is wasn't in our big Catalog release.

smileycollector
05-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I love my Cuttlebug and use it often. I've tried the Big Shot at a SU party and it is much more heavy duty. If price is no object, I would get the Big Shot!

shadoob
05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I love my cuttlebug and use it all the time. I still use the same plates that Traci sent me as well. If I was buying something now, I would probably get the big shot, just becasue I could do differnt materials and larger sheets of paper.

If I was trying to save some money though, I would still buy another cuttlebug. It really is a cool thing and it has held up beautifully.
(thank you Traci!)
Good luck, Angie.

suzi_f
05-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I have the CB & really like it. However, at some point (when I get a job??) I'm going to buy the BigShot w/a Michael's coupon. The SU texture plates don't work w/some CBs (mine for instance. I've heard that some have wider openings, don't know if it's true) and the sizzix dies will work in the CB but ones that cut & emboss (score lines) don't work! I made 30 or so pillow boxes out of acetate & the score lines did not emboss deep enough. Conversly, when I cut the pillow boxes out of SU cardstock, the CB caused the score lines to CUT instead of emboss. Just my $.02

workin4stamps
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I have the CB & really like it. However, at some point (when I get a job??) I'm going to buy the BigShot w/a Michael's coupon. The SU texture plates don't work w/some CBs (mine for instance. I've heard that some have wider openings, don't know if it's true) and the sizzix dies will work in the CB but ones that cut & emboss (score lines) don't work! I made 30 or so pillow boxes out of acetate & the score lines did not emboss deep enough. Conversly, when I cut the pillow boxes out of SU cardstock, the CB caused the score lines to CUT instead of emboss. Just my $.02

Suzi---there is a pad called a premium crease pad that Sizzix recommends for any of the dies that have scoring on them. I have found even in my Big Shot that if I don't use the premium crease pad, this sometimes happens to me too. There is probably a sandwich for using the premium crease pad with the CB as well. Sometimes I also have to add shims to my sandwich to get the right amount of pressure for the score lines to come out just right.

HTH!

mahodgman
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I have both, and I LOVE my Big Shot! My favorite thing is the Multi-purpose platform that comes with the machine to tell you how to "sandwich" the different dies. Yes, the CB had and instruction sheet, but I had to pull it out each time I tried to do something other than emboss with it. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I really like having the pictures and all the pieces together on that platform.

ccstampin12
05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I have both, and love both.
I just recently have been using the Big Shot as my old, original red Sizzix machine is still alive and well~
My 'problem' is that I love all of my diecut machines and can't bear to part with any of them....with the possible exception of the smaller Cricut, now that I've bought the big one!
I'm a diecut machine junkie!
LOL
Joanie

shuggy
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks for all your help. i went to michaels and joanns yesterday. neither of them had a big shot. so i guess i'll wait!

scraphappy908
05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm so glad Angie asked this question! I've been pondering the Big Shot vs. Cuttlebug issue for some time. Your comments have been a great help in making my decision. Like Angie, I will be purchasing a Big Shot in the next several weeks!

teabear
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a CB and haven't had any problems using multiple companies dies, texture plates, and even the nesties in it. If I were buying now, I'd get a big shot, just because it's sturdier. I've had success cutting leather, chipboard, and even metal in my cuttlebug, though. You might find a Big Shot used, Angie. I see them from time to time.

LadyKat
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I have both and like both. I have to say that the BigKick (same as Bigshot) does not move as much as my Cuttlebug does when I use it. Plus, the Sizzix Texture plates do not fit in my Cuttlebug. I have tried but it won't fit. I can see the importantance of the Multiplatform of the BigKick but for me, it is a little awkward to use so I usually reach for the Cuttlebug first.

suzi_f
05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't like that notebooky thing, is that the multiplatform? The one w/the instructions & all "pages". I just hate dealing w/that. But, it does work better for some things so, I'll have to embrace it, I guess.

Mrs. StampFantasy
05-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a Big Shot. I love it much more than the cuttlebug.