PDA

View Full Version : I decided to try herbs this year in my mini garden

iloveflipflops
05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
For Mother's Day I got this upside down planter and you can grow herbs on the top like normal and then tomato plants hang upside down underneath.

Today we went to the nursery and I bought 7 tomato plants. I think that's a bit much but Charlie was the one picking them out. So .... I just went with it. LOL

I also got basil, oregano, dill and chives. Now what do I do with it once it grows? Do I have to dry it? If so, how do I do that? When will I know if its ready to use? I have no idea what I'm doing with herbs. I'm just ready to get everything planted and I'm ready for my first big juicy tomato sandwich of the summer. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!!!!!!!!

workin4stamps
05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
I still need to pick up a tomato plant!!!!! I haven't done that yet.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do with the herbs!! LOL.

mydogstinks2
05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I use the herbs fresh. I have some in a planter that I just move to the kitchen window in the winter time.

I have a friend who grows alot of herbs and she dries them in her oven.

cecescraps
05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
The only one I grow is basil and I use it fresh. Nothing like a great caprese salad w/ fresh basil, tomatoes, and fresh sliced mozzarella cheese drizzled (well, I probably do more than drizzle) w/ olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I HATE tomatoes so, I just eat the cheese drenched in all the goodies. MMMMmmm... can't wait for our local farmer's market to open!!

Far North
05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Sherri-most groceries stores now sell fresh herbs near the refigerated section with the salad dressing. Taking a look at them will give you an idea of what size to cut yours and use them. Generally as you cut a few branches off to use at a time that will help new growth to develop....so you should have herbs all season. You might want to check the tag in your Dill plant--it often gets extremely tall and takes up lots of ground space...It might be overwhelming for your dish. I also grow parsley. I love cooking my fish with basil, including it in salad and sprinkling in wraps. One uses a much larger quantity of fresh herbs than when recipes call for dried herbs. Oh I know you will have fun trying some new things!

Christie
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Be careful with that basil....it will transplant itself all over the place. I don't even have my plant anymore and I'm still finding basil in some of my other potted plants that weren't even next to it!!!

cindi
05-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I love to grow herbs and have been growing them for 15 years. Be craeful with the oregano, it will take over a whole garden. It's best to plant it in it's own raised bed . I dry some of mine in a food dehydrater, and some I just hang upside down. Last year I froze some too. You will LOVE having lots of fresh herbs to cook with. Df is used to finding "weeds" in his food, lol
:)

Artyfarty
05-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Im growing parsnips and carrotts at the moment...not yet done herbs hmmmmm.....

Robinkay
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Sherri- that sounds like an interesting planter. When you use fresh herbs when cooking remember that they are stonger than store bought ones. Once your planter starts growing take a pic of it!

logcabincreations
05-14-2009, 11:15 AM
mmmmm.....they all sound yummy