PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone downloaded Skype on their computer?

tojoco
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I just downloaded it on my laptop. It's a free application and if you have a webcam on your laptop or computer, you can download the software for free and we can talk and see each other on the computer. Let me know if you have it and your skypename. I would love to see and talk to you.

loobylou
05-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I've been thinking about it. I have a webcam on my laptop. My Mum uses skype all the time to speak to grandkids in England. I have talked on hers. There is a kind of delay, but it's pretty good.

shuggy
05-16-2009, 11:24 PM
i don't have a webcam. but i could be pursuaded if enough shackies have them!

tojoco
05-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I've been thinking about it. I have a webcam on my laptop. My Mum uses skype all the time to speak to grandkids in England. I have talked on hers. There is a kind of delay, but it's pretty good.

My son was just talking to his girlfriend on it and when I saw how good the quality is I decided to download it. Then my son called me from his room and we talked on it like we were far apart. I'm going to try to get my sister to download it so we can talk for free instead of long-distance. Let me know if you decide to download it.

shadoob
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I have it and I LOVE it!! I talk with dd in europe all the time. My ds uses it to talk with his girlfriend in Paris daily. We don't have much delay, but sometimes it takes a couple of calls to get it to go through.

My dd got a webcam for $20. and mine is a tad bit more, but hers works fine.

I also have it on my i-phone, so I can call people for FREE anywhere in the world in they are on skype.

I have to check my name..I always forget it.

loobylou
05-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Only problem with skype is, i couldn't sit and chat with my hair not done, and sitting in my PJ's, and I'd definately have to tidy up my craft room first!

tojoco
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't care what anyone looks like as long as they don't care what I look like. I look horrible on the webcam but I would forego that just to talk to Shackies.

Mrs. StampFantasy
05-17-2009, 02:14 AM
I have skype to and i love it.

ccstampin12
05-17-2009, 06:09 AM
I had it....but when 'the guy' cleaned out my computer, he cleaned that out too.
Now, it's reloaded, but all my contacts are gone and it doesn't seem to work the way the old one did. No one has tried to call me, so I don't really know. I don't even know what my name is!!!
I had it so I could see and talk to DD and DGC in Greece, but DD's computer is on the fritz, so it's pretty useless to both of us now.
LOL
Joanie

Nancy
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I know what a good idea for so many but can't break down and get one yet- Nancy

shadoob
05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
I just saw...I am cheryl.powers2

I see that on our threads, if we are on skype, there is a symbol in the upper right hand corner witht the skype symbol. It will let you know if we are on line or not. If it is green, then we are on line. If it is just gray, then you can click on it and leave a note (instant message)

If you click on your own, then you can see what your name is (what I just did).

clear as mud?

HeatherJ
05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Cheryl, (shadoob) I was wondering how much $$$ that cell call to you DD to give her directions to the hostel cost when I read it, now I see you have Skype and it was a freebie! What a great idea!

loobylou
05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
do you know if Skyping uses a heap of computer download space? Here in Australia we have a limit on out downloads each month at Broadband speed, after I use up my download limit I am back to dial-up speed. If it sucks up the bytes then i might just do it a couple of times a month...I'm looking into it.

shadoob
05-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know that Sarah. Actually, I don't understand the whole download limit thing. I just checked and the actual Skype program takes up 31.3 MB and the camera I have (Logitch) and it's updater take up about 27MB. My camera is very involved with video and fancy pants (Suzi's word) stuff...so other cameras may not use so much.

If you go to Skype's webiste, perhaps you can ask about the general useage download stuff. You can also download Skype withOUT the video...thenyou would just talk but not see each other.

Mrs. StampFantasy
05-17-2009, 01:47 PM
My skypename is Funkelzauber1611