PDA

View Full Version : summer reading - recommendations

jazzypurple853
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Are you planning on reading this summer? What do you recommend?

Christie
06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm always reading!! Right now I'm just finishing up the Little House on the Prairie books. I love those things!! I also just bought a Dean Koontz book tonight that I'll start on after I'm done with the LIttle House books.

allinkdup
06-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I love to read. My recent favorites:

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kid
Deadline, Randy Alcorn
Presumed Guilty, James Scott Bell
The Whole Truth, James Scott Bell

I am currently reading Witness by Dee Henderson aand am going to go pick up a book on hold, The Boneman's Daughter by Ted Dekker at the library tomorrow.

inkinupstamps
06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Some of my favorites that I just finished:

Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
The Shack by Wm. Paul young

And on my reading table right now for the summer are:
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Prayer for Sale Sandra Dallas

allinkdup
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I started The Shack but could only get half way thru it. I liked it up until about the middle. Everyone tells me to give it another try but I just can't. I guess I just take it too literal. I need to get over the fact that it is fiction, know what I mean? lol

logcabincreations
06-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I am currently reading 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. His true story. So far, it's very interesting. http://www.90minutesinheaven.com/

Darleneh710
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't read as much as I would like to...more into diet and fitness magazines these days lol...My 13 y.o. daughter just got finished reading the Twilight Series books...she complains b/c I wont let her see the movie...lol...She loves to read, so it is hard when I need to discipline her..telling her to read is not a chore for her LOL...

I have a few books that I am currently reading, I don't have the NEED to finish them as some do lol...
sorry no help here!

logcabincreations
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't read as much as I would like to...more into diet and fitness magazines these days lol...My 13 y.o. daughter just got finished reading the Twilight Series books...she complains b/c I wont let her see the movie...lol...She loves to read, so it is hard when I need to discipline her..telling her to read is not a chore for her LOL...

I have a few books that I am currently reading, I don't have the NEED to finish them as some do lol...
sorry no help here!

I watched the first Twilight movie and thought it was pretty good. My 13 year old son watched it and said "it was o.k.....but I think girls like it better than boys"...lol In other words, it's more like a chick flick.

scraphappy908
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I watched the first Twilight movie and thought it was pretty good. My 13 year old son watched it and said "it was o.k.....but I think girls like it better than boys"...lol In other words, it's more like a chick flick.

My daughter read the entire series. When the movie came out she went tosee it but was really disappointed. She thought the acting was terrible and didn't always follow the book.

scraphappy908
06-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I've been reading These is my Words a Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine by Nancy E. Turner. It is a beautifully written book about a young woman and her family settling in the Arizona territory during the late 1800's. I loved it so much that I read Nancy Turner's second and third book in the series. The second one is Sarah's Quilt and the third one is titled The Star Garden. All three books center around Sarah and her family and the hard work and determination of the American Spirit. I highly recommend them!

GSMom385
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I am in the middle of World without end and finished recently Pillars of the Earth both are really good

cindi
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I love to read Nora Roberts, so I'm sure I'll read a couple of hers, and whatever I find at yard sales that looks good.
:)

suzi_f
06-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I love to read Nora Roberts, so I'm sure I'll read a couple of hers, and whatever I find at yard sales that looks good.
:)

I am currently reading my first NR book right now. I'm like 20 pages from finishing & it's KILLING ME!!! I may finish it tonite, no matter how late it is!! I guess I must really like it 'cause I checked out 2 more of her books at the library yesterday.

I just finished all the "shopaholic" books & the others by the same writer. I didn't think the shop books were all that. Same sorta plot in them all. Her other, non shop books were pretty good.

I think Janet Evanovich is ALWAYS a good bet. I've read them twice now. New one coming out later this month! Looking forward to that!

MnMommy2
06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm currently reading- The Cradle by Patrick Somervile

Future book club reads:
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
True Colors by Kristin Hannah
Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Lanvik
Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I've enjoyed:
The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe
Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
Knit Two by Kate Jacobs
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Anything by Joy Fielding, I've read most of her books
The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb

jazzypurple853
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm gonna see if I can check them out at my library. If anyone else , has any other suggestions, add to the list.

tesschap
06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I am currently reading my first NR book right now. I'm like 20 pages from finishing & it's KILLING ME!!! I may finish it tonite, no matter how late it is!! I guess I must really like it 'cause I checked out 2 more of her books at the library yesterday.

I just finished all the "shopaholic" books & the others by the same writer. I didn't think the shop books were all that. Same sorta plot in them all. Her other, non shop books were pretty good.

I think Janet Evanovich is ALWAYS a good bet. I've read them twice now. New one coming out later this month! Looking forward to that!

I read Sophie Kinsella's Shopoaholic books over the winter. They were easy reading and got me through many sleepless nights when DH's snoring kept me awake. I agree they plot was simular in each of them and they became predictable. I did enjoy her other non shop books were good also. She also writes under the same of Madeleine Wickham. I stumbled upon one of her Madeleine books - Cocktails for Three - at BJ's a few months ago. It was pretty good and I will look for more of her books this summer. Under Sophie Kinsella she has a new release - Twenties Girl - that I will also look for this summer. I'm a Deborah Macomber fan and am anxious for her to put out some new books soon.

Christie
06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I just finished a really good book A Body To Die For by Kate White. It's a murder mystery. If anyone is interested in it I could ship it. I got it a garage sale and it's a hardback. Let me know.

shuggy
06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
i'm reading a great book right now:

under the table: saucy tales from culinary school by katherine darling (http://www.amazon.com/Under-Table-Saucy-Culinary-School/dp/1416565272/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1245339992&sr=1-1)

it's a very easy read and very interesting!!

logcabincreations
06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
i'm reading a great book right now:

under the table: saucy tales from culinary school by katherine darling (http://www.amazon.com/Under-Table-Saucy-Culinary-School/dp/1416565272/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1245339992&sr=1-1)

it's a very easy read and very interesting!!

hmmm...saucy as in romance??? lol

shuggy
06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
not at all..it's about a lady that decided her office job wasn't what she wanted and she went to culinary school. it's non-fiction.

suzi_f
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a Deborah Macomber fan and am anxious for her to put out some new books soon.

I've read a lot of her books & liked most. I love the C'mas ones, 'cause they are C'mas!!

tesschap
06-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I've read a lot of her books & liked most. I love the C'mas ones, 'cause they are C'mas!!

I love them too. I also have my mom hooked on them.

morgainegeiser
06-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I am currently reading the Other Boleyn Girl - it is quite good.
Just finished the new Lee Child's mystery.
The best book I have read this summer is The Madonnas of Leningrad