PDA

View Full Version : Would like opinions...What do you think?

inkinupstamps
06-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I loved the discussion we started a few weeks ago about Digital stamping. There were some really great pro and con aspects of it discussed. At that time I hadn't actually ever used a digital stamp image for my card making. I was, however, very interested in a new digi stamp company that has the most darling and whimsical images.

Whimsie Doodle digital stamps is the name of the company and today I posted THIS CARD (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=22780&limit=recent)in our gallery using one of their free digital images to try it out. My card is pretty simple but actually no different than if I had stamped with a regular stamp. I colored the image with copics, I used my nestibilities die cuts on the card, Prima flowers, machine stitching, brads, stickles. I even stamped the sentiment (though there is a digital sentiment that goes with this image...I just chose something different for now.)

Actually, I didn't find this any different in card making....or at least the outcome of my card than any other cards I make. In our discussion the words "hybrid cards" was tossed around and frankly, I don't understand how that term applies.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here. I'm just interested in the discussion we started. So tell me honestly what you think of my card using a digital stamp. And lest anyone gets upset that our gallery is specifically a stamping gallery, remember that I did stamp the sentiment. :)

Mrs. Fence
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I love your card! I am new to digi stamping as well, and I just love the images I have collected!

Jadyeebugsaunt
06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Jennifer,
I love the card! In my opionion, there no diffence in a digtal stamp and a regular stamp, because the concept and layout still comes from you and besides if you didn't tell me it was a digtal stamp I would have never guessed

BTw can I have the website?

shuggy
06-24-2009, 02:49 PM
i was wondering about this. i was also wondering if you use an ink jet printer if the ink will smudge when you go to color it? what kind of printer do you have?

inkinupstamps
06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I have tried both ink jet as well as laser printers. Both work great. The card I posted today was using the laser printer, but my first test card was with the ink jet. I goofed up my coloring...not due to the printer ink but because I didn't color it like I wanted to.

I'm going to try putting watercolor paper into my laser printer and printing on it and then watercoloring an image as an experiment for other mediums. Colored pencils work great too with the digi images.

Mrs. Fence
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I've used prismas, bics and pearl paints with my digi images. If you think the image might bleed, just trace over it with a black alcohol based marker and it will be fine.

inkinupstamps
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh...sorry! I forgot to put the link to the Whimsie Doodles site. It is their blog. Our Stamp Shack friend THANH VO is one of the DT members for Whimsie Doodles. Congratulations THANH!!! :)

OK, go to their blog and then scroll down the right hand side until you see the Whimsie the Turtle and where it says "Whimsie the Turtle Freebie." You can download this free image and sentiment to your computer.

The blog can be found HERE (http://whimsiedoodles.blogspot.com/)

They are giving sneek peeks all this week of the new images to be released the first week of July.

jazzypurple853
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I love the card that you did. I couldn't tell that it wasn't a rubber stamped image.
I think it comes down your own personal preference,whether you prefer rubber or digital stamped image or both.

loobylou
06-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Jennifer, While you were away our beloved leader Sherry changed the rules about what can be posted in the gallery, and there is NO RULE that a card must have stamping anymore! great for those who love to make cards with other methods/mediums. Thanks for showing us your digi-stamping.

cindi
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I am having fun with all stamps, mounted, unmounted, acryllic and yes, digi stamps too.
I don't think I'd consider a card a "hybrid" unless it was all diitally produced, like digi scrapping where all teh componets are computer generated, then maybe it would be a hybrid. Personally I love to play with all my appers and embellies, so I would not go that route, I gotta play with my goodies.
:)

Inkisallover
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
That is so cute! But I'm not very "computer smart" to try that. I wouldn't know where to begin to start.

Mrs. Fence
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Jennifer, While you were away our beloved leader Sherry changed the rules about what can be posted in the gallery, and there is NO RULE that a card must have stamping anymore! great for those who love to make cards with other methods/mediums. Thanks for showing us your digi-stamping.

Thanks for the reminder, Sarah. I haven't been posting cards that didn't have rubber stamping on them. Most of the time I use at least one rubber stamp, but not always...

teabear
06-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Adorable card, Jennifer. For the record, hybrid as it applies to papercrafting means that you used something that was computer generated along with traditional supplies. This card is a beautiful example of hybrid paper crafting. Also, anytime you use a computer generated font to print up a sentiment, you are also hybrid paper crafting.

inkinupstamps
06-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Adorable card, Jennifer. For the record, hybrid as it applies to papercrafting means that you used something that was computer generated along with traditional supplies. This card is a beautiful example of hybrid paper crafting. Also, anytime you use a computer generated font to print up a sentiment, you are also hybrid paper crafting.

Thanks for the explanation/definition of hybrid paper crafting. So if I am understanding correctly, anytime you use a computer for no matter what part of the card (for example) it automatically is "hybrid" ? This strikes me as odd. I'm not denying what you are saying or arguing the point, I'm just thinking outloud. (or typing outloud as the case may be - LOL)

Here is another question then about hybrid cards. What about rubber stamp makers who design their stamp designs on the computer? Wouldn't those stamps also be hybrid? They aren't hand drawn and converted to rubber. They were computer generated designs.

I'm loving being able to toss questions around here about this. We are in such a new age of technology mixed with art and it brings about interesting questions.

LadyKat
06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I love the digi images! I think your card is BEAUTIFUL! And I have to get this cute turtle!;)
I, personally, do not understand why some people don't consider digi images as stamping. What is the difference between a friend coloring up and making a card from an image I stamped for her and sent to her and someone using a digital image? I guess I don't "get it."
I don't see a difference. In either case, one of us does not own the actual stamp, right? I hope I am explaining this right and with the right "tone" because I am not trying to be abrupt or nasty or anything like that.

Mere Deaux
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I am not sure why a card made with a digi stamp would be called - hybrid! lol I love making cards and I have had lots of fun with the digi stamps. I seem to remember when - clear- stamps came out there was some discussion too. I would challenge anyone to know the difference in a digi stamp and a rubber or clear stamp when the card is made! I use a Canon MP530 ink jet printer that I paid $100.00 for. Works great! I have no problem with ink smearing. Just make sure to let it dry. I ue lots of pencils and oms, H2o's and water color pencils. All work great!

teabear
06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, here's my question. Why is hybrid a bad thing? I get the impression that everyone wants their card or creation to not be hybrid. Hybrid is the way of the future in paper crafting. If you are hybrid, you are cutting edge. Just ask any 20 something paper crafter. To answer your question about the way the stamps are created Jennifer. I don't think it matters how things were manufactured, because all of our papers designs are created on computer. It's how the actual artist made her project. If she uses her computer for part of it, then it can be considered hybrid. One could even argue that if you use a computer edited and printed photo in your project, it's hybrid.

inkinupstamps
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I never said that I thought hybrid was a bad thing. :no2: I'm just curious about why, if one uses a digital image it is immediately branded with a title/type definition rather than just remaining a handmade greeting card.:wubclub: If you emboss (be it dry, paste or powder) or create backgrounds with paints and techniques, the card isn't labeled anything other than a card.

I'm just throwing questions around because I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the subject. Not trying to stir up conflict...just asking questions.

inkinupstamps
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Hybrid is the way of the future in paper crafting. If you are hybrid, you are cutting edge. Just ask any 20 something paper crafter.

LOL. HUH? ME?? MOI??? Cutting edge. LOL LOL I'm far from that. I see what you are saying for the younger crowd but just the thought of me being "cutting edge" is so far out of my mindset. I'm pretty much a dinosaur in the papercrafting world. :):twitcy:

Tantalize
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Yay! Thank you Jennifer and so glad to see you posting a great discussion again.

I am trying to wrap my head around the word "hybrid" card as well. From my understanding - it seems that if you are using a partial creation from the computer and then add handmade creations, or put the rest of it together by hand, it becomes a hybrid?

But you bring up a good point – is it not also a hybrid then when the image is then generated by or from a computer… Hmmm… I don’t know if I really would use the term hybrid at all, actually. Even if you ARE using a piece or photo or image or print, etc, etc that was generated from a computer – you are still assembling the card itself by hand. I would consider that a handmade card. If you were only completely placing a printed image on to the card, then no – it’s not handmade. BUT how many times have you seen pieces of art digitially scanned and then made into a card! This is mass produced, but it’s still a work of art, right?

Tantalize
06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Just ask any 20 something paper crafter.

Are you targeting me, Tami? Why thank you! LOL

teabear
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Hybrid is definitely a work of art. I don't think you have to label any of your artwork unless you want to. I just wondered if it was somehow less in your mind or anyone's mind if it was hybrid. Interesting thoughts here.

teabear
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Are you targeting me, Tami? Why thank you! LOL

You definitely fit in here, Thanh. I can only speak about what I saw when I was at CHA and what I see going on in the craft world. Computer use is definitely part of the younger crafter's bag of tricks.