PDA

View Full Version : The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad expo

GotCats?
07-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Holy cow, so check this out:

This weekend's expo is at the "Indoor Sports Arena". Ok, no problem--I'm expecting to be in like a gymnasium, right? Nope--try indoor SOCCER arena! Fake turf and everything!

First thing when you walk in is you smell wet dog. Oh yeah, they had a dog show in there a few weeks ago. Well, it was like 90 degrees and they decided to turn off the AC since we were all unloading and setting up. So the humidity made the smell stronger. Didn't bother me, but some people were allergic and some were having asthma attacks.

PLUS hard to roll dollys on the "carpet".

The "carpet" also smelled like body odor, by the way. The people that worked there said "I don't know what you expect, people play sports here!". Nice. PLUS the folks running the expo are obviously out to be as cheap as possible to turn a profit. They got the rattiest tables--we're talking splintered. AND filthy--wipe your hand on one and it will be black. Not nice for the make N Take night we were doing last night.

Oh, and the chairs? they got the cheapest chairs possible, so that during the make N take night a gal (not overly heavy at all) had her chair collapse on her--she hit her head on the back of someone else's chair, then was on the ground for like 10 minutes cause she has 2 bad knees and can't get up.

Oh, and wasn't set up for electric. People who wanted cash registers, lights, or heat guns kept tripping the circuits. Luckily I didn't need it.

Oh yeah, and this morning? several people had rashes on their legs and arms. From the yummy carpet we're sure. Oh yeah, and some people felt bites on their legs. Apparently fleas from the dog show.

To add insult to injury, it was such a TINY show we made like half what we usually do. All the venders were upset and we're not doing it again next year--I don't know that I'll ever attend an expo held by those people ever again.

Hey, but there is another day of it tomorrow!!! YIPPEE!!!!

(But Jennifer--everyone LOVED your christmas cards! They kept pointing them out, asking about them, and taking pictures!!!! Great job!!!!)

Ok, off to grab some dinner.........

cindi
07-11-2009, 06:43 PM
well..that sounds like some show. Who put it on? I hope tomorrow is better for you...maybe you can wear a flea collor on your ankles?
:eek:

inkinupstamps
07-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Awww...Tricia. I'm so sorry that it was a lousy show for you. Did not sound fun at all. Well, at least you made a few bucks and know not to go to this particular one next year.

Do you allow people to photograph at your booth? I've never been to a show that allowed photographs. At some they'll even get on people who are obviously "notetaking." I mean I know people are out to get ideas but the idea of photographing doesn't seem right, eh? I would hate to see someone selling copies of my work.

Nancy
07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Every show around here people take pictures. - Nancy

inkinupstamps
07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Every show around here people take pictures. - Nancy

Every show I've been to of any type of art or craft has a statement on the ticket or advertising that no photography or reproduction allowed.

cindi
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I have been to 2 heirloom productions stamp shows and pictures were allowed and even encourages at most booths. I have taken pics and I use them to remember why I bought a stamp if I bought it for something specific, not to copy the card. It is helpful to have the pic.
:)

Paula Carden
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
All the shows I have been too, which is quite a few allow pics, like Cindi if I buy a stamp it is nice to have a pic. But usually I don't have my camera and now with all of the cellphones it would really be hard to monitor I think. I do understand tho about the originality of the work and reproductions -it would not be right to copy and sell.

mydogstinks2
07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I always take pictures at shows. I thought that is what the samples are there for, so you can buy the stamps and remake the cards.

directmailscrapper
07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh my goodness! I can't image a CRAFT show under those circumstances! Sounds like you are making the best of it...

morgainegeiser
07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I think I know which promoter you were doing a show with, actually my DD and I had thought about meeting to go to it, glad we missed it. They also do a show here in MI, its too bad, because stampers always look forward to stamp expos.

inkinupstamps
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I always take pictures at shows. I thought that is what the samples are there for, so you can buy the stamps and remake the cards.

I would never remake someone else's card whether at a show, from a shop or from the stamp shack gallery. Samples are ideas and possibilities for the stamp in color and practice, but I'd hope that people would come up with their own original ideas and not "remake the card".

logcabincreations
07-11-2009, 11:39 PM
That sounds awful. I pray tomorrow is better for you and not so smelly.

GotCats?
07-12-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm back before day 2....

Jennifer--I don't think you have to worry too much about your card being copied and sold.....The gals that were pointing it out were asking the kinds of questions that would lead me to believe they're kind of novices and probably wouldn't be able to duplicate the card anyway. I think the picture takers were mainly in awe of it!! I don't think they'd be up to producing and selling. Although one or two bought the stamp while drooling over your card.

Heck, I couldn't even reproduce your card!!!!! That's come complicated and amazing detail!

Well....Sigh......guess I should head off to day 2. Gonna be a boooooooooring day. Some of the vendors were joking that they were so bored they were ready to fall asleep (not many people), so that show will probably go away next year. When people don't show up, the vendors won't come back.......I sure won't be doing that show next year. Oh well, just a few more hours!!!

Later!

scraphappy908
07-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm so sorry this expo was such a bad experience for you. Hoping the next one will be much better.

Paula Carden
07-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I hope today is better Tricia-maybe at least you will get to have the AC on as your packing up.

mom_on_line
07-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Gosh, sounds like an awful place to be. Eat lots of garlic! Fleas don't like it. Hope the time flies by while you make lots of sales.

Is there a photo of Jennifer's card? I've been gone the past week to Minneapolis and just back yesterday and would love to see it.

teabear
07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
It sounds like a nightmare, Tricia. I think I'd be sharing this information with other vendors by word of mouth at every other show I attended. What goes around, comes around.

HeatherJ
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I hope day two is better than the first and it sounds like it wouldn't take much! :)

GotCats?
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Well, what a mess! So glad that is over. All the vendors were pretty unhappy. SInce most travel to these expos, they have lots of expenses. I heard some saying "If we had stayed home we wouldn'thave LOST money!" I felt bad for them. At least it was local for me and I wasn't out hotel and travel costs.

We didn't even bring in half what a normal expo does. The customers were saying they were loving it cause it wasn't crowded or anything....they don't understand when no one shows up, the vendors do not come back!!! Oh well. That's over. now my place is trashed with dumping everyhting from the car all over. Guess I'll head down and tackle some of that now.

And Jennifer--even MORE people were drooling over your Christmas cards today!!! Everyone loves them. You rock!!!!