PDA

View Full Version : Technique Challenge 13 is UP!

kerry
07-18-2009, 08:39 PM
This week's technique challenge involves the use of painter's tape. Do you have some at home? You know, the blue or purple stuff you use to mask your walls so you don't paint on the ceiling, door or moulding? Well, we'll use it this week to create some stunning backgrounds.

All you need is a few pieces of painter's tape, three colors of ink, a sponge (or one for each color), and a piece of cardstock (I prefer white or cream).

A complete how-to video will be posted on YouTube soon, it's just taking a bit of time to edit.

Cut varied widths of painters tape. Thin strips work really well, but you'll want to have a variety. Release some of the "tack" from the tape by applying it to your workspace then removing it approximately five or six times. This will help discourage accidental tears in your paper.

Apply the strips of tape to your cardstock in a random pattern either horizontally or vertically (or both). Once you have the desired amount of tape, Use one ink color and apply it liberally to the paper. Remove the tape but keep the tape to apply it again for the next color. Apply the tape again in a different pattern covering some of the ink you left behind. Using the next ink color, apply it liberally. Repeat this step with the next color.

Note: Carefully and slowly peel the tape away so you can avoid any tearing on the edges. If you do happen to tear your paper, use your trimmer to cut the torn edge off.

Two examples of this technique are posted in the gallery. I'll have the video tutorial up as soon as its ready!

FALL (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=23121&limit=recent)
WINTER (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=23120&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Have fun!

Kerry
Kerry

paperprintss
07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry what is TC10?

cindi
07-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry what is TC10?

tc stands for technique challenge. if you look on the new post page, before you open the thread it will tell you what catagory it is. does that help?
:)

kerry
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
The Challenge is ON!

Kerry

kerry
07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Here's the link to the YouTube tutorial.

Masking with Painters Tape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE-QzCjeWLM)

Kerry

teabear
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the video, Kerry. I didn't really get it until I watched. It looks like working from darkest to lightest ink is key here.

Far North
07-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks Kerry for explaining the use of the tape. I have also made the tape less tacky by putting it on my clothes--it picks up just enough lint.

kerry
07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I prefer to go dark to light but it really doesn't matter. I think the most important thing to remember is to overlap your tape in some areas so you get a gradation of tones throughout your piece.

I like to use the table or underside of my forearm to take most of the tack away because sometimes when I use fabric (jeans or clothes), slight lint pieces adhere to the edges of the tape often causing some less than crisp lines in inking (Just my experience).

Kerry

TiikkiStars
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh I have LOTS of painter's tape (if I can figure out where my kidlet stashed it....he's always taking off with it for some 'creation' or another!!)! This looks like fun. So, its due by Friday the 31st? I work best with dates. (doesn't always help, but do work best :>:>) Thanks Kerry! :>

:> Karen

kerry
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Yep, this Friday, July 31.
Kerry