PDA

View Full Version : Cindi i tried making your Mac and Cheese!--IT WORKED THIS TIME!!!

GotCats?
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I totally screwed something up somehow. The sauce didn't melt all nice and smooth. Was I supposed to use whole milk maybe? I figure there has to be a trick in there somehow.

I used colby, cheddar, and swiss cheese to make a nice mix of flavors. But it doesn't taste good at all!

What did I do?

cindi
07-25-2009, 05:48 PM
hmm..I have no idea, this has always been full proof me, I even use skim milk somtimes.
ok, did you melt the butter, then add the flour, and mix well? then add the milk and stir pretty much constantly until thick? then add cheese and stir until smooth?
:teacher:

GotCats?
07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but you know the milk never really got real thick. I stirred "just until boiling", then turned off the heat. Maybe that is where I went wrong! I needed to let it boil and thicken for a while!!!!!

Ahhh....

cindi
07-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah, but you know the milk never really got real thick. I stirred "just until boiling", then turned off the heat. Maybe that is where I went wrong! I needed to let it boil and thicken for a while!!!!!

Ahhh....

you shouldn't have had to, by the time it boils, it should be thickened. Hmm, maybe try adding an extra bit of flour? I have never had a problem with it though. I'm sorry you did
:worried:

GotCats?
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
No worries--I think it was the "thickened" issue. I might get some whole milk next time, and like you said add some extra flour.

Great advice!!

GotCats?
07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok I tried again! (cause I'm actually a very good cook and also a bit of a perfectionist) so my ego was damaged a bit.

So I tried it again tonight. This time I used BUTTER, and WHOLE milk, and let it boil for a while to get nice and thick. What a difference! The sauce was really thick and coated the mac really nice!!!!!

So I don't know which (or all?) of those things did it, but YUM!!

THANKS for the advice!

cindi
07-26-2009, 07:14 PM
yay!! so glad it turned out for you, it really is yummy
:)