PDA

View Full Version : I bought a bread machine today!

inkinupstamps
07-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't really know why, but I've always wanted a bread machine. Well, today I just went out and did it on a whim. I bought myself a Black and Decker bread machine. I just now started a plain old white bread loaf in it just to see how it works. I'll get fancier as soon as I know what I'm doing. :wub:

Anyway, any of you bread making bakers have some good bread recipes you'd like to share so I can try them out in my brand new bread machine? I'd love to have you share some with me.

Also, if you have a bread machine any tips and tricks you've learned along the way will be greatly appreciated too.

GotCats?
07-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Ohhhh I LOVE my bread machine. I actually don't eat much bread, but when I plan a week of sandwiches for lunch i always make a loaf for it.

Good that you're trying it "befoe you need it". My first few loaves were so burnt--even set at the light crust setting. It took a few loaves for me to figure out that I have to cut 20 min off the cooking time!! Can't program that of course--I just have to watch the timer counting down, then program my oven timer 20 min less than that....

So if your first few don't turn out don't fret.

I have a honey wheat bread recipe that I always use. if you don't have anything like it, let me know.

Christie
07-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I love my bread machine!!! It's tricky here in Texas though. If it's too humid the bread doesn't come out right. I have learned that if you add your yeast first then your dry ingreds. then the wet it seems to work better! I have a ton of bread recipes. Maybe I can copy some and send them to you.

tojoco
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Christie, I'm glad you said that. I have a bread machine that I used constantly when I lived in New Jersey but down here in Tennessee I have an awful time with the bread rising. I usually get a loaf that is about 3" high. Next time I'm going to try putting the yeast in first and see if it makes a difference.

Jennifer, congrats on getting one. I know you will enjoy it. Homemade bread is one of my weaknesses.

ngreek
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
The temperature and elevation really makes a difference. I know sometimes I have to very the amount of water I put in mine and to becareful when following directions from the box mixes as they do not always work me.. I usually look at where it is made and buy the box mixes that were manufactored cin similiar temperatures as to where I live.
Nicole

Christie
07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Christie, I'm glad you said that. I have a bread machine that I used constantly when I lived in New Jersey but down here in Tennessee I have an awful time with the bread rising. I usually get a loaf that is about 3" high. Next time I'm going to try putting the yeast in first and see if it makes a difference.

Jennifer, congrats on getting one. I know you will enjoy it. Homemade bread is one of my weaknesses.

The humidity and temp outside really do play a role in your bread making. I make the best bread in the winter when the temps are cooler and humidity low. Just play around with the water levels you add.

inkinupstamps
07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
My first loaf is finished and it is PERFECT! Oh my gosh! A bakery couldn't have made a more beautiful loaf! LOL

Tonight's dessert is warm bread and jam! :)

Christie
07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
My first loaf is finished and it is PERFECT! Oh my gosh! A bakery couldn't have made a more beautiful loaf! LOL

Tonight's dessert is warm bread and jam! :)

Glad it turned out!!!

workin4stamps
07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I love homemade bread!!!! Glad yours turned out good!

MidwestStamper
07-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I have never used my own Bread Machine! My oldest DS is the one who uses it! We just buy the boxed mixes. He only does it in the winter so he's always had success with it. We don't crave warm bread in the hot, humid summer!

inkinupstamps
07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I have never used my own Bread Machine! My oldest DS is the one who uses it! We just buy the boxed mixes. He only does it in the winter so he's always had success with it. We don't crave warm bread in the hot, humid summer!

We love fresh bread and a cold salad in the hot, humid summer!

coco_kitty
07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Cool:) I had a lot of fun with mine - usually just made plain bread from the recipe book included. I miss my bread machine:( Cat

teabear
07-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I love my bread machine. I've never used any mixes, but use a couple of really great cookbooks. They're both called Bread Machine Magic (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bread+machine+magic&x=0&y=0). I have the 2nd and 3rd books on the link. It looks like the first one is the newest revised one. I really love these books and have never had a failed loaf. I'm on my second bread machine. I love to use it to make dough for pizza and focaccia. It also makes amazing dough for cinnamon rolls or coffee cake.

limeyscrapper
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM
We've had ours for about 8 years, and we love it. Usually make two loaves a week.
We did a little experimenting when we first got it, but now we have a fav recipe that is "our" bread, and we make the same loaf almost every time.
Do some experimenting and see what you enjoy most. Our favourite is the "Country White Bread " recipe that came in the little booklet with our machine, but we modified the ingredients and use Multigrain flour instead of white flour, and it's perfect. We've never had a failed loaf.
We also use it for pizza dough, and my grandson loves helping me to put a pizza together.
Because I'm often in a hurry in the mornings, I like to have some packages of dry ingredients already made up and ready to go. So when I have 15 minutes to spare, I will get out all the ingredients and using 6 plastic zip-loc baggies, I measure out the dry ingredients and seal them in the bags so that i'm ready to go in the mornings.
The only thing that didn't work well for us was using the delay timer. I tried making it overnight, but I think that the liquid ingredients cooled down too much and the yeast then didn't work as well as it should. The loaf was still OK but not as good as if we just make it in the morning.
Have fun - and don't eat too much!

Nancy
07-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Guess I better get mine out, haven't used it for awhile. I don't eat much bread but would love some right now. There is nothing like the smell of bread baking. PLus how do you get it baked in the morning for breakfast. I would have to start at 4. - Nancy

Artyfarty
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Ohhhh I love the smell of freshly baked bread so homely and comforting.

inkinupstamps
07-26-2009, 01:11 PM
This morning I made cinnamon raisin bread. It is wonderful!! Pure heaven. Not only great toasted, but the texture of the bread is such that I'm thinking of making some chicken salad and using slices of my cinnamon raisin bread for chicken salad sandwishes on cinnamon raisin bread for a nice light supper tonight.

So, there you have it! I've made two different loaves and both have come out perfectly. I'm so happy I bought this machine.

Thanks Tami for the links to bread making cookbooks. I'm looking forward to trying pizza dough this Friday night (Fridays are typically pizza night around here). And the foccacia bread sounds delish too!

Tantalize
07-28-2009, 12:23 AM
A bread machine? You are getting old, lady! LOL JK I know that you are going to take that with a fine grain of salt as to the discussion we had over email (or atleast I am sitting here shaking in my sweat that you are!) ROFL.

Cant wait to see/hear/read of your delicious recipes.

Mrs. StampFantasy
07-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I have a bread machine too and i can`t life without. The kids love the bread.

inkinupstamps
07-28-2009, 08:26 AM
A bread machine? You are getting old, lady! LOL JK I know that you are going to take that with a fine grain of salt as to the discussion we had over email (or atleast I am sitting here shaking in my sweat that you are!) ROFL.

Cant wait to see/hear/read of your delicious recipes.

"Getting old" ?? Darlin', I'm already there. :biglaugh:

directmailscrapper
07-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Memories -- we had a bread machine a long time ago and we made bread ALL OF THE TIME! I used to bring bread to work and we tried all kinds of great and not-so-great recipes. All time favorite: Maple Oat. I used to be able to make it in my sleep. Great texture, a bit sweet, whole oats to make you feel less guilty. Yum!

Our bread machine was one of the first to come out - it looked like R2D2 from Star Wars. Maybe it would be good to try one of the newer fangled ones! Hmmmm. Maybe for my Christmas list????

inkinupstamps
07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Memories -- we had a bread machine a long time ago and we made bread ALL OF THE TIME! I used to bring bread to work and we tried all kinds of great and not-so-great recipes. All time favorite: Maple Oat. I used to be able to make it in my sleep. Great texture, a bit sweet, whole oats to make you feel less guilty. Yum!

Our bread machine was one of the first to come out - it looked like R2D2 from Star Wars. Maybe it would be good to try one of the newer fangled ones! Hmmmm. Maybe for my Christmas list????

Ha ha ha ha! Nancy, I remember those R2D2 machines from back in the day. My sister had one. She loved it though. It was HUGE but made good bread. My new one isn't quite as bulky as the R2D2 :biglaugh: version.

Ooohhh your Maple Oat sounds yummy. Can you remember the exact recipe and quantity? I'd love to give it a try.

Mine is a Black & Decker and I got it at Walmart.

shuggy
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
how much are they? maybe i need one!! i love fresh bread but never do well making it.

MidwestStamper
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Now I'm worried that my DS will want to take it with him when he moves out in August! LOL!

dancing queen
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I love my bread machine and have had great success with the delayed timing... there's nothing better than coming into a house with a crockpot filled with beef stew and the bread machine just finishing up a loaf of bread. mmmm-mmmm good!