PDA

View Full Version : A Modern Sewist? I don't think so.

inkinupstamps
09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
This is completely non-stamping related but one of my many pet peeves is the corruption of the English language. As a subtopic to said language corruption is the need some have to make everything politically correct. I say call a spade a spade and not a long handled ground moving and digging tool.

This morning I was reading a sewing website that I generally thoroughly enjoy when suddenly I read the term "Modern Sewist" in place "Seamstress." Give me a break! I can hardly get 'modern sewist' to come out of my mouth. :no2:

OK, this grumpy old woman just had to vent. My dog is blind...NOT visually impaired. She's blind. A spade is a spade. I'm a seamstress.

:laugh: I'll try to get my granny panties out of a twist now. :laugh:

maxiesmom
09-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I didn't even know what a modern sewist could possibly be. Glad you actually used the word seamstress!

ctinyjoy
09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
LOL you are funny Jennifer. I had to read this also to find out what a modern sewist was.

GrammaStamper
09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Are you a Miss, Mrs. or Ms. Seamstress?

inkinupstamps
09-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Are you a Miss, Mrs. or Ms. Seamstress?

None of the above. You may call me Jennifer, the seamstress.

ccstampin12
09-14-2009, 08:29 AM
HAHA~
So funny!
I agree...'just say it!'
Joanie

midnitecreations
09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
lol, try saying "modern sewist" three times!! I'd never even heard of such a term.

Nancy
09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Out of curiousity I looked up the word and it is now a common word. I will remember it for the Scrabble game. And I guess changing with the times on this is not so bad. Sometimes after reading the newspaper I go over the first page with a red pencil and just wonder where the words come from - let alone dividing them in the wrong places. I think the phrase "these ones" in a sentence get to me more than anything else. - Nancy

teabear
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
While we're on this topic I have a little peeve of my own. A person who sews is not a sewer. A sewer is where waste water and other icky things go.

Nancy
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I love it. - Nancy

Far North
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes Tami I agree sewer drives me crazy...I'm glad they didn't create the word sewerist-whatever in the world that would mean. We can get pretty silly in the creation of new words.

inkinupstamps
09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes Tami I agree sewer drives me crazy...I'm glad they didn't create the word sewerist-whatever in the world that would mean. We can get pretty silly in the creation of new words.

Jan, that made me laugh out loud! AMEN! I do NOT want to be a sewer, nor do I want to be a sewerist, unless of course I happen to become a sewage plumber.

Far North
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Jan, that made me laugh out loud! AMEN! I do NOT want to be a sewer, nor do I want to be a sewerist, unless of course I happen to become a sewage plumber.

I don't know about that one...they make tons of $$ but they sure get stinky!

My3Ds
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm with you. A rose is still a rose!

Patty
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
You are singing my song!! Even my grandchildren are aware of my "phobia". I feel like the English language is being lost. Ain't it the truth!

GotCats?
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Since we opened this can of worms.....I have a serious issue with the "there, their and they're" words. I also take issue with "your and you're". HOW HARD IT IS TO USE THEM CORRECTLY? It really really annoys me when I see those misused. Like every day!

Oh....and the phrase "moot point". SO MANY PEOPLE say "mute point". I always ask them if that means their point can't speak?

ALthough I do admit some serious personal problems with figuring out when to use the ' symbol. I think my grade school teacher got that one wrong, cause when I follow what she taught it is always wrong.

dancing queen
09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
oh my, how I love this topic. let me add a few more items to the list of complaints. There is a major difference in the use of "then" and "than." Can't belive the # of people who don't know this. Or how about the difference between "woman" and "women"? (yikes!) And I agree totally with Tricia about "your and you're." Someone sent me something recently which stated "...as the story go's..." GO'S ?!?!?!?!?! Is that a contraction for "go is"? If I had more time, I'm sure I could come up with many more, but I look forward to input from others. thanks for starting this thread.

directmailscrapper
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
While we're on this topic I have a little peeve of my own. A person who sews is not a sewer. A sewer is where waste water and other icky things go.

LOLOLOL! This whole post cracks me up -- and I agree with you Jennifer (and with you, Tami!)

directmailscrapper
09-15-2009, 04:07 PM
My pet peeve -- "me" and "myself". I keep telling my co-workers that the word "myself" is a word they probably should use RARELY -- I don't know why people are afraid of the word "me". "The boss gave instructions to Bill and myself." URGHHHH!

Seaside Rose
09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Oh, you are all too funny! But I'm with you, Jennifer. A bathroom is a bathroom in my house anyway; (in my sister's house it's a powder room). I have a den; she has a library (no book cases, mind you, just a honking big plasma TV). I have a storage closet in my kitchen; she has a butler's pantry. The danged thing is smaller than mine and a butler couldn't fit in it with the shelves removed no matter how well he sucked it in! My kids' rooms were Jake's room and Johanna's room. Her kids' rooms were "the nursery wing".

I am a missus and a seamstress BTW and don't mind saying so. I could never stand to be called Ms. And sewer.... that cracked me up!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now!

inkinupstamps
09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh, you are all too funny! But I'm with you, Jennifer. A bathroom is a bathroom in my house anyway; (in my sister's house it's a powder room). I have a den; she has a library (no book cases, mind you, just a honking big plasma TV). I have a storage closet in my kitchen; she has a butler's pantry. The danged thing is smaller than mine and a butler couldn't fit in it with the shelves removed no matter how well he sucked it in! My kids' rooms were Jake's room and Johanna's room. Her kids' rooms were "the nursery wing".

I am a missus and a seamstress BTW and don't mind saying so. I could never stand to be called Ms. And sewer.... that cracked me up!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now!

Ha ha ha ha ha haaa! Cathy at the Seaside Rose Cottage I say Amen! And again I say Amen to all of your comments!

(I wish you could see me giggling!)

My3Ds
09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Since we opened this can of worms.....I have a serious issue with the "there, their and they're" words. I also take issue with "your and you're". HOW HARD IT IS TO USE THEM CORRECTLY? It really really annoys me when I see those misused. Like every day!

Oh....and the phrase "moot point". SO MANY PEOPLE say "mute point". I always ask them if that means their point can't speak?

ALthough I do admit some serious personnel problems with figuring out when to use the ' symbol. I think my grade school teacher got that one wrong, cause when I follow what she taught it is always wrong.

Personnel or personal ??? ;)

GotCats?
09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Personnel or personal ??? ;)

AAA how did I do that? Serves me right for trying to post in the AM before work.

I had a boss (in the military) once who was a rude "little man syndrome" type. He typed something "moral" and meant "morale". I tried to be a good subordinate and pretended like it was my confusion and asked if it was supposed to have an "e" at the end.

He THREW a dictionary at me! yup--threw it. I set it on his desk and said "Yes, sir, it is SUPPOSED to have a "e" at the end". What a jerk.

Mrs. Fence
09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
This thread is hilarious! My new "peeve" is when "their" is used instead of his or her. That one bugs me. There's a song I love but one of the lines is "Who will rise up for their King?". That line always bugs me.