PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Muffin Recipe

jazzypurple853
09-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I got this recipe from a library book that I took out,
It's called : Baking from my home to yours, by : Dorie Greenspan

I copied the recipe from someone's blog

I have given you the original recipe, in case you want to make it that way

When I made the recipe, I made some changes to it, I highlighted the ones I changed in red.

Pumpkin Muffins
From Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 6 jumbo muffins

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (I didn't use)
3/4 tsp cinnamon ( I sprinkled the cinnamon, didn't measure it out)
1/2 tsp ginger ( I didn't use it at all)
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg ( I used the McCormick brand, and I sprinkled it)
pinch allspice ( I didn;t use it at all)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup plump raisins (soak in hot water first if yours seem too dried out) (optional) ( I used 3/4 cup , didn't bother soaking them, used them right out of the box)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) (Didn;t put them in)
unsalted raw sunflower seeds, for sprinkling on top (optional) (didn't put them in)

Preheat oven to 400F / 200C. Grease your muffin tin or fill it with paper muffin cups (unless you're using silicone bakeware, which needs no greasing).

In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices.

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each one, then add the vanilla. Lower the mixer speed and add the pumpkin and buttermilk.

With the mixer on a low speed, add the dry ingredients. To avoid overmixing, I tend to have the mixer on for only a couple of seconds when adding the dry mixture, then to turn it off before everything is completely incorporated and finish mixing by hand. Dorie recommends this too! Stir in the raisins and nuts, if using.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and sprinkle a few sunflower seeds over each muffin, if using. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean (jumbo muffins will take longer).

The other change I make is I set the oven temperature at 350, otherwise anything higher than that sets of my smoke detectors, which I've done a few times! I just cook the muffins for 30 minutes instead.

coco_kitty
09-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Sounds good...going to try this:) tks

loobylou
09-19-2009, 08:53 AM
these sound delish. I think I will make them the original recipe, then decide what I need to change. We don't get pumpkin in a can, so i suppose I'll just cook and cool some then blend to a puree. Will that work?

Mrs. Fence
09-19-2009, 09:33 AM
mmmm....sounds like I might need to head back to the store this morning! tfs

jazzypurple853
09-19-2009, 12:30 PM
These do freeze really well. I take them out when I need them.

cindi
09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
these sound delish. I think I will make them the original recipe, then decide what I need to change. We don't get pumpkin in a can, so i suppose I'll just cook and cool some then blend to a puree. Will that work?

yes, Sarah,, that will work fine
:)