PDA

View Full Version : Stamping on Shrink Plastic

dgbearsmom
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Has anyone ever stamped on shrink plastic? What kind of ink do you use and what do you color the image with? I am making some wine glass charms from wire hoops and beads. I want to add a little shrink plastic charm to them, but I have never used the stuff.

Also if anyone knows a good place to buy this that would be great. I would need it fairly quickly. Do they have it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby? Online would be okay as long as they had fast shipping.

Thanks so much!!

Judy

Erin K
01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I have, I used Stazon and colore with pencils the color will get darker when you shrink it. I got mine at Toys R Us.

dgbearsmom
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I have, I used Stazon and colore with pencils the color will get darker when you shrink it. I got mine at Toys R Us.

Thanks, Erin. Never would have thought of that. Is it the same thing as Shrinky Dinks?

jdpisces
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I have used Staz-On to stamp shrink plastic. I lightly sanded the back and colored (on the back) with colored pencils or markers. Once it's shrunk, the colors are much more vibrant.

Also, make the hole in the plastic before you shrink it....

HTH!
Julie

Erin K
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Yup, same thing. Course the shrinkie dinks are smaller, I think you can get full sized sheets at the craft store, but I didn't know that and got regular ole shrinkie dinks at the toy store. Mine were rough on one side (the back) and I colored on that side without sanding. I stamped on the smooth and colored on the rough.

laos348
01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I've seen it at Michael's before over where the kids crafts are.

Laura

Far North
01-08-2007, 01:20 AM
There a web tutorial
http://www.crafttvweekly.com/player.html?wid=33
Have fun!...Jan

mahodgman
01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Colored pencils are great for coloring shink plastic, but you can also use Sharpie pens. Some shrink plastic comes with a rough side, so you don't have to sand it. And some comes just clear. I have had a hard time stamping on the clear stuff because your stamp wants to slide.

GrammaStamper
01-08-2007, 09:41 AM
That tutorial on Craft TV Weekly is excellent. Watch right to the end because heating the plastic shrink stuff, it unfolds too. I stopped too soon when I did my first one and it stayed all shriveled. But it is miraculous how it straightens itself out! Cool!

tesschap
01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I use Stazon ink and color the images with sharpie markers and colored pencils.

Teresa

LuV2stamp27
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I get my plastic shrink plastic at Michaels. Last time I got it I spent 6.99 for a few sheets and it has lasted me a long time. I use Stazon for the stamping and color them with pencil crayons, SU markers and or Sharpie markers.

Amanda

loobylou
01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I use any dye based ink to stamp. My instructions were to always stamp and colour on the rough side. I made wine glass charms too and they were just gorgeous- if I do say so myself! The important thing to remember is that thay shrink to a third of the size of the original stamp and if you don't punch a hole (with a regular size hole punch cos this shrinks in size too) before you heat it- forget it you can't do it later. I must admit I aLWAYS panic that it is going to stay all twisted up and stick together as it is heating but it ALWAYS miraculously flattens out at the end (a lot of faith is required during the heating process tho')
I'd love to see a pic when you're done

KylaMaestas
01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
There have been several posts about sanding and stazon, and this is the same for me. I have done some work with the back polyshrink and used white craft ink. I can tell you that it does not dry completely and can be hard to work with (because it doesn't dry quickly). To work with the black you want to do all of your stamping as you normally would, heat set it and then you want to spray it with a chalk sealant to seal the ink. I had to do this several times but ended up with a beautiful bracelet that I wear often.

Where to find it? We don't have much for lss, mostly little local shops so I am not sure about the Michaesl etc. I didn't save the link... but I had found it online with a google search. I purchased it for a polyshrink class I had done about a year ago. They were very fast getting it to me and they had it in all the colors I wanted (black, clear and white).

They also had the paypal payment available. I will do some looking and see if I can find it but in the mean time I would just Google it.

Hope this helps!

Forgot to add: I created the bracelet before there was white stazon. You may find some luck working with it instead should you choose to venture with the black.

loobylou
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
OOh Kyla, can you please post a pic of your bracelet in the gallery? It's not a scrapbook page so i don't think it would break the rules. I'd love to see it

stampinmom3
01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I can never get this to work. I use the heat gun. Should I be using the oven instead? Everytime I do it the plastic just curls up and you can't see anything anyhow.

loobylou
01-15-2007, 08:44 AM
it will curl up and look like it's not going to flatten out. Don't panic.Keep heating it with the heat gun It will stop and settle down eventually. The oven works too though if you can't stand the stress of the heatgun process

limeyscrapper
01-15-2007, 09:03 AM
I've tried using this stuff but I'm never happy with the results. It does flatten out I agree, but it always seems warped or uneven. Hard to explain, but if I start out with a perfect square, I expect to end up with a much smaller perfect square, but the edges are uneven and it's mis-shaped. what am I doing wrong ?

loobylou
01-15-2007, 09:07 AM
You can gently press something flat on top of it whilst it is still warm if that helps to flatten it, tho' i agree sometimes squares don't finish exactly square

dgbearsmom
01-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I did my project last night. I think it ended up pretty good. I had to make 32 wine glass charms for a swap, so I decided to keep it simple and just stamp the images in one color instead of trying to color something in. I used Cherry Pink StazOn because they are Valentine themed. I did sand the plastic first. You have to have a pretty steady hand though or it smears. All in all my charms were not perfect, but not bad- especially for a first try. They do curl up, but then magically flattened back out. The hardest part for me was holding it down while heating. I used a pair of tweezers to hold the hole that I punched and some of the holes ended up being slightly distorted. In that respect, using the oven might be an advantage. But they still didn't look bad. You really couldn't tell once I put the jump rings on them.

I bought the shrink plastic online from Addicted to Rubber Stamps. I needed a few other things from them anyway and their shipping is super fast. After I ordered it, I found it at Hobby Lobby and my LSS. I had looked at one Hobby Lobby and they didn't have it, but another one did. Both HL and my LSS were cheaper even when you didn't figure in the shipping. So next time I will know.

It was a fun project so I'm going to try to think of something else to make with the stuff. I still have 5 sheets left. Appreciate everyone's help.

Judy

laos348
01-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I've just started to try using this - I use my heat gun but put it in a box top so it moves around a bit but doesn't go flying away from me so I don't have to try to hold it down.

For white, black and clear along with instructions and tips, I'd try www.luckysquirrel.com

Laura