PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been sprayed by a skunk??

workin4stamps
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
One of the girls I work with got sprayed last night, and so did her two dogs. She was up half the night trying to get rid of the odor. She said she's taken 4 showers. How long does it take for the odor to go away??

She's used tomato juice, vinegar, baking soda, and everything she can think of but nothing helps.

mahodgman
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
No, I've never been sprayed, but I was going to tell you to use tomatoe juice. It is from an old Partridge Family episode...lol Poor thing, it must be hard to leave the house!

Christie
09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I say throw the clothes away!!!! I've never been sprayed so I'm no help!

tojoco
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Traci, this is what I found out:

Get rid of that skunk spray smell

Go outside with a bucket and the following three ingredients:

* 1. 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (you can get that in your local drug store)
* 2. 1/4 cup Baking Soda
* 3. 1 teaspoon liquid detergent

Mix the three ingredients together in the bucket. I think it will fizz up, so use it while it’s fresh.

If it’s your dog that’s been sprayed by a skunk use a pitcher or measuring cup to gently pore the solution over your dogs fur. Be careful not to get it in your dogs eyes. Let the solution sit on your dogs fur for about five minutes and then rinse with clean water.

I know the old cure is to bath your dog or yourself in tomato juice but they said on the show that that just covers up or masks the smell for a while … the real cure is the solution I listed above.

cindi
09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I'd try Joannes method and if it can still be smelled, try the vet I think they have some stuff for that
:)

MnMommy2
09-23-2009, 01:38 AM
oh my, I couldn't imagine. I hope she finds some relief soon.

alh
09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
You can go to the pet store and buy some stuff called deskunk. I believe Pet Smart sells it. We used it on our dog and in the house.

Anita

GotCats?
09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Yes, the hydrogen peroxide stuff is the best. My family has always lived in the country and this happened to our dogs several times. BUT CAREFUL ABOUT LETTING THEM SHAKE!!! That stuff will EAT AWAY at wood! So make sure they get rinsed really well and dried as much as possible before they shake off......

inkinupstamps
09-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Traci, one of my cats was sprayed by a skunk a couple of years ago and I immediately gave him a bath using the very same Hydrogen Peroxide solution that Joanne linked to. I wouldn't say that suddenly VOILA (!!) the smell had entirely disappeared, but it most certainly got ride of the worst of it. And in bathing him (imagine bathing a cat in the first place!!) I got the smell on me so I used the solution too.

The tomato juice thing is an old wives tale. Doesn't work. Really doesn't do a thing so don't bother or waste money on tomato juice.

After my incident with the skunk I asked my vet and he said that the hydrogen peroxide solution is one's best bet in getting rid of it. He did sell me a solution to already made up to keep on hand for the future. We do have the odd skunks appear every so often, even in our fenced back yard so I keep the solution on hand just in case.

Seaside Rose
09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I have never had the pleasure personally (of getting sprayed) but my dogs have! Nature's Miracle makes a product that DOES work. It's a little pricey, but it's effective. Best of all, you put it on and leave it on -- no need to bathe or even rinse. Works on humans, furniture and clothing too. ;)

I have used a rag to rub it on my dogs' faces and heads. (It's a good idea to put disposable gloves on first). Sometimes you need to retreat, especially if the dog took a direct hit. What usually happens with my dogs is that a skunk will spray through the fence and the dogs will roll in the grass or dirt that has been sprayed.

I can get it locally at The Natural Pet, a shop here in town, but they do charge all outdoors for it. Petco and Petsmart also carry it, if you have these chains in your area.

The best price for it on line is here: http://www.dog.com/item/natures-miracle-skunk-odor-remover-32-oz/290218/?srccode=SHOPPING&mr:referralID=c6bd135f-a865-11de-99f3-000423c27407

I also use their spray for dogs for carpet messes. It really does do a nice job of getting the smell of urine out of carpet.

Kreative Dryve
09-23-2009, 03:05 PM
this is my biggest fear for my dog and her adventures in the field behind me. Now I have a solution, lets hope I never have to use it.