PDA

View Full Version : Blankets for the Troops -- we're done -- PICTURES!

directmailscrapper
10-03-2009, 01:59 PM
We are back already from our big project day! Emily and her friend Diamond, my Mom and sister Patty and I started off the day with enough fleece to make 4 blankets. My friends Jill and Sherry joined us and we made 2 more.

The event was PACKED with volunteers of all ages -- mostly women, girls and Girl Scouts but a few Boy Scouts and Dads too! Lots of seniors, lots of young girls (probably 4th grade and up).

I was a CELEBRITY for bringing all of those GORGEOUS notecards! They handed me the microphone and I told the crowd all about your generous gift of time and talents.

We heard several stories of how these blankets have impacted the lives of our soldiers. One particularly moving story was told by a member of the medical corp about how she met a soldier with a rather grubby looking blanket. She asked him if she could wash it for him, he told her that it had been made for him with love by strangers and handled by many others with love and that he didn't want to wash the love out of it... There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

I am going to post a few times so I can show you the photos. There are several of Emily and her friend (believe me -- they took MANY!) They started wearing the scraps -- it was getting pretty funny!

directmailscrapper
10-03-2009, 02:00 PM
More pictures. One of Emily and Diamond wrapped up in one of our blankets. Another with them in front of the pile that was accumulating. This mountain of blankets is DOUBLE STACKED! Estimates are that over 200 blankets will be made today!

I also took a few pictures of blankets in the mountain where you could see the notecards.

directmailscrapper
10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
And more pictures!

directmailscrapper
10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Ladies, THANK you from the bottom of my heart for your generosity! This was a great day -- and you helped.

shadoob
10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
WOW! Nancy, that is way cool! Way to go!! I didn't send in a note card (the guilt is heavy today - but alas...another day will come) but I just want to say a big thanks to all ofyou that did- what a great way to give of yourselves!

Paula Carden
10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Brings tears to my eyes just seeing the pics. What a wonderful gift you have give, not only to the soliders, community, family but to your daughter-the gift of helping others!

inkinupstamps
10-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Nancy, what a wonderful project and heartfelt hugs and congratulations to you and your friends and family for this wonderful gift to our troops. The blankets are beautiful and to see a card I'd made on one just really gives me chills to realize that someone will receive and appreciate. You've made my day with your accomplishment and gift. Big hugs and smiles to you.

cindi
10-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for letting me be a part of this. I am moved to see all those blankets and to think of all you's putting in your time and talents to make them.
way to go!
:)

dancing queen
10-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Nancy... I'm totally speechless. I got goosebumps like 3 different times while reading yours and the other messages. Once again, I want to thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this great project... and thank you for giving so much of your time and your family's time to make this whole thing happen. I meant it when I stamped it on my card... "PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"

maxiesmom
10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
So glad I was able to help, sounds like it was a great day with so many involved. You may need a new picture of you and Emily, she is so lovely and mature looking.

tojoco
10-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Nancy, thank you for allowing me to be a part of such a wonderful cause. Your pictures are awesome; and thanks to you, your family and friends, some of our troops will get that warm and cozy hometown feeling real soon.

Patty
10-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Nancy, it is a wonderful cause and anytime you need help with something I could do, just let me know.

Christie
10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
How awesome!!! one of your pictures has my notecard on it!! Whoo-Hoo!!!!

emmcee
10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Totally awesome, Nancy! Emily & Diamond are just too cute and learning such valuable lessons today. I'm so glad I could help with this project. Keep our soldiers warm and in our thoughts.

kimmyqtgirl
10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing all the pics with us. And a really big thank you for the opportunity to be a small part of it all. It's so nice to be able to help. When my DH heard what I was making those for he was pretty excited. He didn't realize we used our crafting powers for such good causes:) I can't wait to do it again nex year!

hutchink
10-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Just reading this and seeing the photos- made me have a tear in my eye! Awesome work my friend!

midnitecreations
10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Doesn't sound like there is a dry eye here reading your post and seeing those pics. Mine included. I'm sure there are a lot more stories out there like that soliders that never get told, but are just as touching. What an amazing project you are a part of, and what a wonderful group the shackies are to help out. Way to go!!

directmailscrapper
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
If anyone needs directions to make one of these blankets, let me know. They make great Christmas presents, and you can get the fleece for about $20 if you find a sale!