PDA

View Full Version : Do you bake more now the colder nights are here

Artyfarty
10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I sure do and this week have baked meals ready to freeze and plenty of cakes to divulge after lol
It must be the weather change that makes me want to bake, is it the same for everyone? or do you still bake lots in the hot summer well the warmer weather being not much summer here !!

inkinupstamps
10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Interesting topic because I too have been baking up a storm lately. I know that partly the reason is because my hubby got me new cookwear as well as a kitchenaid stand mixer and I love using it. So in part it is the weather and the other part is a resurgence (for myself) in cooking and baking.

iloveflipflops
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
In one word, no.

dancing queen
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
baking, no. stirring up big pots of comfort foods, yes... chili, soups, stews. It's the only thing I really enjoy about the winter months.

stampinmom3
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Yep, sure do bake more in the winter.

MidwestStamper
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I try not to turn the stove on all summer! When the temps are in the 80's and 90's--I don't need the additional heat!

I do bake more when the temps are cool--I just made a couple loaves of pumpkin bread last night! It smelled and tasted wonderful!

suzi_f
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I baked brownies yesterday because I was cold & didn't want to turn the heat on (it's been really cold in the morning but pleasant in the afternoons). Then, I baked some 'taters for Becca & my lunch. I seem to bake all year long. When it's REALLY, REALLY hot, I don't but I still bake cookies during the summer months.

Seaside Rose
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
baking, no. stirring up big pots of comfort foods, yes... chili, soups, stews. It's the only thing I really enjoy about the winter months.

Ditto. Lots of soups and stews here as well. The only thing I bake regularly in winter is bread and I do that in the bread machine.

DH is diabetic so I try to avoid making too many sweets except at the holidays. And since it's just the two of us with both boys at college, if I do bake, I use the smaller convection oven rather than the larger gas oven.

Turkeys, I cook on the grill.

Christie
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
i like to bake year round!

Spartymom
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
baking dinners YES! We are in oven mode now instead of bbq's.

tesschap
10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Well - I do bake quite a bit in the summer as most weekends I cook for a crowd at the lake. I am doing more cooking and baking now but I think it's more due to the foods that are plentiful now vs it being colder. I've been baking with apples, squash, pumpkin, etc. I also cook more this time of year as I have to prepare one day of meals each weekend for DH to take to hunting camp. I already have requests for carrot cake, dark chocolate fudge cake, and scalloped potatoes with ham ... and typing this is making me hungry :)

logcabincreations
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Since starting my new job I haven't been in the kitchen much, but I did make homemade vegetable soup and biscuits yesterday :) I will bake some this week because my oldest son is coming home for a visit.

Mrs. Fence
10-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I bake lots of goodies and soups and casseroles as the weather gets colder. Guess I'm trying to fatten up for the long, cold winter...

:dull:

Patty
10-13-2009, 09:51 PM
No more no less. Although my mom had a gas stove and swore it heated up the house in the summer. Maybe that influences me. I bake when there is an ocassion--if I bake it, I eat it, so I try not to. I AN craving pot roast, baked chicken, baked potatoes, stuff like that. Maybe it is the cold weather.