PDA

View Full Version : Take note - The senior year in high school is EXPENSIVE!

iloveflipflops
10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm trying to keep track of what i have spent but its depressing. LOL

So far, this is what we've spent. Costs are approx but pretty close

Senior pics $200
(Haven't had cap and gown pics yet)
Grad announcements and cap and gown (will order next week) $150
Homecoming dress and necklace $125 (thank goodness we had shoes)
Cheerleading camp (that she decided to drop after we paid) $300
Class ring (actually bought in 11th grade) $200

So the grand total we've spent so far is ....

$975.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the year isn't even half over.

directmailscrapper
10-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Ouch! I feel your pain!

Emily's 8th grade class is going to Disney World in May -- it's a tradition at her school. And our FIRST downpayment of $400 is due in November. The second $400 payment is due in January and the final $400 or so is due in March. OUCH! Plus an $80 field trip next week -- dance classes -- dance costumes for the JUNE recital -- voice lessons -- church retreat in 3 weeks (another $80) -- high school testing and application fees -- and I feel like I'm swimming up a creek without a paddle!

Sherri -- I'm guessing your total is going to grow... and grow!

shadoob
10-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh, SHerri, I bet there are things you forgot to add in ....... Just wait till college.....I feel for you!

inkinupstamps
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
And those are just the first expenses........................... It will get higher!

teabear
10-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Glad I have a boy. He's pretty cheap so far except on the food bill.

spredbirds
10-22-2009, 07:25 PM
WOW .... just wait til college and the first trip to the book store to buy books!!!!

tojoco
10-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Ditto what Chelsea said. College textbooks are unbelieveable!

logcabincreations
10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I paid almost $400....per child....for their senior pics. Then we had sports pictures and cap and gown pictures on top of that....and yearbook....you aren't done yet I'm sorry to say.

tesschap
10-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh how I remember those days ... just wait until the wedding one day ... do take time to enjoy this school year with Em. It will be over before you know it!

midnitecreations
10-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I agree Sherri. We've paid a little of $400 for senior pics + $50 for sitting fees, then about $300 for class ring, class dues of $80, tons of field trip fees and class fees, invitations and a small souvenir $165! And as you said, we've just started the senior year. At least I've got a boy and don't have to worry too much about clothing, jewelry and shoes!!!

Mrs. Fence
10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I've got it pretty easy - Jacob isn't into lots of expensive sports and we are just now looking at class rings. I plan to do his senior pics, as I have a decent camera and can do it myself. I'm with Tami...my biggest expense with him is the food bill!!! My boy can eat!

Darleneh710
10-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Ouch! I feel your pain!

Emily's 8th grade class is going to Disney World in May -- it's a tradition at her school. And our FIRST downpayment of $400 is due in November. The second $400 payment is due in January and the final $400 or so is due in March. OUCH!

Wow, Nancy..I feel your pain. My dd's 8th grade class is going to Wash DC, but it is not even close to the cost you are talking about. They want $250 by Dec 15 but I called and they will take $100 to hold her spot and then we just have to pay the rest before she goes which is in April. The total of the trip is just under $600 but she has some fundrasing money from last yr that they will put toward it and bring it down a couple hundred dollars.

Darleneh710
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm trying to keep track of what i have spent but its depressing. LOL

So far, this is what we've spent. Costs are approx but pretty close

Senior pics $200
(Haven't had cap and gown pics yet)
Grad announcements and cap and gown (will order next week) $150
Homecoming dress and necklace $125 (thank goodness we had shoes)
Cheerleading camp (that she decided to drop after we paid) $300
Class ring (actually bought in 11th grade) $200

So the grand total we've spent so far is ....

$975.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the year isn't even half over.

Wow! I have all this to look foward to! LOL

My ex-bf's dd is the same age as your Emily and I know her senior pics were really high. But she is working so she is able to pay for stuff now too. Cuz her dad is brutal lol

MidwestStamper
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
My son Daniel is a Senior also--but not as expensive as a daughter is, I guess! He decided just to use the pictures that LifeTouch does for the yearbook (so no special, separate pics) and he didn't go to Homecoming. He's also not in any sports.

So expenses for him so far are the Yearbook ($70.00) and the LifeTouch picture packet ($50). We will need to order Graduation announcements and make invites for his Open House. The Spanish class trip isn't happening this year either, so we won't have that expense. I doubt if he'll go to any of the dances, unless he gets talked into going with a group!

He's in Theatre so I know he'll be going to a few College level performances to see how they do a certain play. And he'll be in Knowledge Bowl and they compete, but not much expense there. He's in Band but no extra expense there. I guess I kind of have a 'geek' for a son, but I love him lots!

teabear
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey, I just remembered something. Don't buy those announcements for graduation. Make them. In my stamping group we all have kids and have had graduating seniors the last two years. We all helped out with the invitations in our club meeting. We did this for a wedding, too. You could save a ton on that.

hutchink
10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Leighia's Senior photos were $900 :( You got off cheap on that part!

iloveflipflops
10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
That's because I didn't buy alot or I could've easily spent that much. I was afraid she would look different by the time she graduates so I bought the bare minimum.

loobylou
10-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm happy to say, In Australia, we don't have class rings, $400 photo sittings and some of the other things you mentioned. I'm sure I'll find out what we DO have soon enough! My son costs me most for sports and food!