PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe it... LOL

directmailscrapper
10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I sent a co-worker an e-mail today and added LOL. She e-mailed me back and asked me what LOL was. Can you believe it? She's not 100 years old or anything! She's about 60 but she looks much younger and she dresses like a million bucks. BUT -- she's never been married and has no kids -- so perhaps she just hasn't been exposed. (She's our HR Director). SOOOO -- I've decided that it is my job to educate her. I've started with LOL, BRB, BTW, LMAO and RFLMAO. Any other suggestions? I told her that she has nieces Emily's age and that she needs to get with the program!!!! LOL!

shadoob
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM
My only suggestion (and I am SURE Joanne would agree that I need it) is to educate me as well!! I thought my stepdad was always telling me LOTS OF LOVE with the LOL when he and my mom first got together. LOL!

cindi
10-23-2009, 05:00 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!
too funny Nancy. I'm sure you will get her up to speed.
:)

Paula Carden
10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Okay guys I am not 60 yet but I don't know all those abbrevations either.
So could you post it here so I can get with the in group too-thanks

emmcee
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't know what they are all either. Like what is BRB? When I first joined the form over at Papercrafts and everyone was talking about their DH's, I had a fairly good idea it was their husband, but I had another name or adjective that would fit DH instead of Dear Husband.

GrammaStamper
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know what they are all either. Like what is BRB? When I first joined the form over at Papercrafts and everyone was talking about their DH's, I had a fairly good idea it was their husband, but I had another name or adjective that would fit DH instead of Dear Husband.

Michelle, BRB is 'be right back'. HTH!

loon218
10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I wasn't sure myself so I looked into it.....

Abbreviations

In order to save keystrokes, a lot of abbreviations have been in use. Here are some:

^5 High Five! 2BCTND To Be Continued 2G4U Too Good For You 4YEO For Your Eyes Only AFAIK As Far As I Know AKA Also Known As ASAP As soon as possible AWHFY Are We Having Fun Yet? AWGTHTGTTA Are We Going To Have To Go Through That Again AYPI And Your Point Is? B4 Before BBL Be Back Later BBIAF Be Back in a Few BBIAB Be Back in a Bit BCNU Be Seein' You BEG Big Evil Grin BFD Big F***ing Deal BFN Bye For Now BG Big Grin BIF Basic In Fact BRB Be Right Back BTSOOM Beats The S*** Out Of Me BTW By The Way CM Call Me CUL8R See You Later DUR? Do You Remember? F2F Face To Face FWIW For What It's Worth FYA For Your Amusement FYI For Your Information FU F***ed Up FUBAR F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition FUD (Spreading) Fear, Uncertainty, and Disinformation GAL Get A Life GMTA Great Minds Think Alike GR&D Grinning Running And Ducking HHO 1/2 K Ha Ha, Only Half Kidding HTH Hope This(That) Helps IAE In Any Event IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer, But ... ICWUM I See What You Mean IMO In My Opinion IMHO In My Humble Opinion IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion IOW In Other Words IRL In Real Life J4F Just For Fun JK Just Kidding KISS Keep it Simple Stupid L8R Later LOL Laughing Out Loud LTNS Long Time No See MorF Male or Female MHOTY My Hat's Off To You MOTD Message Of The Day MOTSS Members Of The Same Sex MTFBWU May The Force Be With You NBIF No Basis In Fact NFW No F***ing Way NFC No Further Comment NRN No Reply Necessary NT No Text (used if a message is empty, Subject: only) OBO Or Best Offer OBTW Oh, By The Way OIC Oh, I see OOTB Out Of The Box (or Blue) OTOH On The Other Hand POV Point Of View PMFJI Pardon Me For Jumping In ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off RSN Real Soon Now RTFM Read The F***ing Manual RTM Read The Manual SITD Still In The Dark SMTOE Sets My Teeth On Edge SNAFU Situation Normal, All F***ed Up SWAP Scientific Wild A** Guess SorG Straight or Gay? T+ Think Positive TAFN That's All For Now TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch TIA Thanks In Advance TIC Tongue In Cheek TMTT Too Much To Type TTFN Ta Ta For Now TTYL Talk To You Later TTTT To Tell The Truth TX Thanks TYCLO TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF TYVM Thank You Very Much unPC unPolitically Correct WAG Wild Ass Guess WB Welcome Back WEG Wicked Evil Grin WRT With respect to WTF? What The F***? WTG Way To Go! WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get X! Typical Woman Y! Typical Man YMMV Your Mileage May Vary</PRE>

Nancy
10-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh My Gosh, you want me to remember all of them. when my son texted me, I couldnt answer because I didnt know how. So I live under a rock. And now when I try it takes forever and forever. But I was fast with shorthand a while ago, and can still read the wiggly signs. That has to account for something. - Nancy and you want to know something, I really couldn't care less!!!

loobylou
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow Jan, that's quite a list. i didn't know some of them!
Nancy, my Dad taught me the LOL one way before Ii was onvolved with stamping messageboards., he was involved with Eric Clapton fan websites.

shadoob
10-23-2009, 10:46 PM
wow! I'm impressed. Now I need to get my aging eyes to be able to decipher between all those lines.....maybe I'll cut and paste into word and then space it all out.
Thanks!

Seaside Rose
10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Oh my goodness, it's like learning a new language LOL. (I know what THAT means, I mean, IKWYM). I use about 5 on a regular basis and beyond that, I'm going to need a translater! ;)

cindi
10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
wow! I'm impressed. Now I need to get my aging eyes to be able to decipher between all those lines.....maybe I'll cut and paste into word and then space it all out.
Thanks!

hey, when you do that..email it to me!! that made me go crossed eyed!!
:)

dancing queen
10-23-2009, 11:42 PM
ok, I broke it down for everyone ~ here goes...

^5 High Five!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
2BCTND To Be Continued<o:p></o:p>
2G4U Too Good For You<o:p></o:p>
4YEO For Your Eyes Only<o:p></o:p>
AFAIK As Far As I Know<o:p></o:p>
AKA Also Known As<o:p></o:p>
ASAP As soon as possible<o:p></o:p>
AWHFY Are We Having Fun Yet?<o:p></o:p>
AWGTHTGTTA Are We Going To Have To Go Through That Again<o:p></o:p>
AYPI And Your Point Is?<o:p></o:p>
B4 Before<o:p></o:p>
BBL Be Back Later<o:p></o:p>
BBIAF Be Back in a Few<o:p></o:p>
BBIAB Be Back in a Bit<o:p></o:p>
BCNU Be Seein' You<o:p></o:p>
BEG Big Evil Grin<o:p></o:p>
BFD Big F***ing Deal<o:p></o:p>
BFN Bye For Now<o:p></o:p>
BG Big Grin<o:p></o:p>
BIF Basic In Fact<o:p></o:p>
BRB Be Right Back<o:p></o:p>
BTSOOM Beats The S*** Out Of Me<o:p></o:p>
BTW By The Way<o:p></o:p>
CM Call Me<o:p></o:p>
CUL8R See You Later<o:p></o:p>
DUR? Do You Remember?<o:p></o:p>
F2F Face To Face<o:p></o:p>
FWIW For What It's Worth<o:p></o:p>
FYA For Your Amusement<o:p></o:p>
FYI For Your Information<o:p></o:p>
FU F***ed Up<o:p></o:p>
FUBAR F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition<o:p></o:p>
FUD (Spreading) Fear, Uncertainty, and Disinformation<o:p></o:p>
GAL Get A Life<o:p></o:p>
GMTA Great Minds Think Alike<o:p></o:p>
GR&D Grinning Running And Ducking<o:p></o:p>
HHO 1/2 K Ha Ha, Only Half Kidding<o:p></o:p>
HTH Hope This(That) Helps<o:p></o:p>
IAE In Any Event<o:p></o:p>
IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer, But ... ICWUM I See What You Mean IMO In My Opinion IMHO In My Humble Opinion<o:p></o:p>
IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion<o:p></o:p>
IOW In Other Words<o:p></o:p>
IRL In Real Life<o:p></o:p>
J4F Just For Fun<o:p></o:p>
JK Just Kidding<o:p></o:p>
KISS Keep it Simple Stupid<o:p></o:p>
L8R Later<o:p></o:p>
LOL Laughing Out Loud<o:p></o:p>
LTNS Long Time No See<o:p></o:p>
MorF Male or Female<o:p></o:p>
MHOTY My Hat's Off To You<o:p></o:p>
MOTD Message Of The Day<o:p></o:p>
MOTSS Members Of The Same Sex<o:p></o:p>
MTFBWU May The Force Be With You<o:p></o:p>
NBIF No Basis In Fact<o:p></o:p>
NFW No F***ing Way<o:p></o:p>
NFC No Further Comment<o:p></o:p>
NRN No Reply Necessary<o:p></o:p>
NT No Text (used if a message is empty, Subject: only)<o:p></o:p>
OBO Or Best Offer<o:p></o:p>
OBTW Oh, By The Way<o:p></o:p>
OIC Oh, I see<o:p></o:p>
OOTB Out Of The Box (or Blue)<o:p></o:p>
OTOH On The Other Hand<o:p></o:p>
POV Point Of View<o:p></o:p>
PMFJI Pardon Me For Jumping In<o:p></o:p>
ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing<o:p></o:p>
ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off<o:p></o:p>
RSN Real Soon Now<o:p></o:p>
RTFM Read The F***ing Manual<o:p></o:p>
RTM Read The Manual<o:p></o:p>
SITD Still In The Dark<o:p></o:p>
SMTOE Sets My Teeth On Edge<o:p></o:p>
SNAFU Situation Normal, All F***ed Up<o:p></o:p>
SWAP Scientific Wild A** Guess<o:p></o:p>
SorG Straight or Gay?<o:p></o:p>
T+ Think Positive<o:p></o:p>
TAFN That's All For Now<o:p></o:p>
TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch<o:p></o:p>
TIA Thanks In Advance<o:p></o:p>
TIC Tongue In Cheek<o:p></o:p>
TMTT Too Much To Type<o:p></o:p>
TTFN Ta Ta For Now<o:p></o:p>
TTYL Talk To You Later<o:p></o:p>
TTTT To Tell The Truth<o:p></o:p>
TX Thanks<o:p></o:p>
TYCLO TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF<o:p></o:p>
TYVM Thank You Very Much<o:p></o:p>
unPC unPolitically Correct<o:p></o:p>
WAG Wild Ass Guess<o:p></o:p>
WB Welcome Back<o:p></o:p>
WEG Wicked Evil Grin<o:p></o:p>
WRT With respect to<o:p></o:p>
WTF? What The F***?<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">WTG Way</st1:address></st1:Street> To Go!<o:p></o:p>
WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get<o:p></o:p>
X! Typical Woman<o:p></o:p>
Y! Typical Man<o:p></o:p>
YMMV Your Mileage May Vary