PDA

View Full Version : Question about coloring Digital Images...

ccstampin12
10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi,
I just heard from Lesa that when she attempted to color her digital image, the ink smeared. She says she was using Copics, and even tried brush markers.
I noticed that Jennifer did use Copics, and hers didn't smear.
Lesa and I both have HP printers...and neither of us wants to crack out the Prismas!
LOL
How do you keep your ink from smearing?
Joanie

iloveflipflops
10-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I usually print mine off and then color it the next day or so. I do know Stampin UP markers will smear no matter what. Or take a heat gun to it lightly.

shuggy
10-23-2009, 07:41 PM
i print mine off and let it sit for a few hours. but i use prismas or bics.

tojoco
10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes dry the ink a little with the heat gun or wait a few hours.

cindi
10-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I have an HP printer and use my copics, prisma markers & bics..I would say like the others just let the ink dry or force it with a heat gun
:)

inkinupstamps
10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I use a laserjet HP printer for my digital images and color with copics. I began coloring right after I took it out of the printer with no smears.

I'm wondering what kind of card stock is being used by those who find it smears. This is just a "I'm wondering kind of question" and not that I know for sure. I put my Papertrey Ink white heavy yummy cardstock in my printer. The same cardstock that I stamp images and color. Do you know if anyone who has problems with smearing might be using a type of cardstock in their printer different than what they use to color with copics and stamps? Just wondering it that might be the cause because, as I say, I have had no smearing issues at all with my copics even when I take it right out of the printer when I use my Papertrey cardstock.

cindi
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I use a laserjet HP printer for my digital images and color with copics. I began coloring right after I took it out of the printer with no smears.

I'm wondering what kind of card stock is being used by those who find it smears. This is just a "I'm wondering kind of question" and not that I know for sure. I put my Papertrey Ink white heavy yummy cardstock in my printer. The same cardstock that I stamp images and color. Do you know if anyone who has problems with smearing might be using a type of cardstock in their printer different than what they use to color with copics and stamps? Just wondering it that might be the cause because, as I say, I have had no smearing issues at all with my copics even when I take it right out of the printer when I use my Papertrey cardstock.

well..That's a good thought. I use Georgia pacific 110 weight cardstock, and I have never had smearing or bleeding. Hmm this will be very interesting to watch

tattoolesa
10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I just found this FAQ:

What is the best type of cardstock to use with digital stamps?
It's best to select a cardstock that is absorbent and doesn't have a coating on it. My design team ladies recommend GinaK or PTI or Georgia Pacific card stock which is sold at Walmart. SU Whisper white is not recommended because it has a coating.
After you print your image you should let it dry for at least 10 minutes before you start to colour. You may want to try heat setting it if you notice any smearing of the ink while you colour.

I will try a different CS as i used SU Whisper White. LOL.

cindi
10-23-2009, 10:18 PM
hi Lesa!!!!
Well, that's good to know, though I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way

inkinupstamps
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Lesa! Let us know if you see a difference. I suppose 10 minutes might have passed between when I took it out of the printer and when I began coloring. It takes me at least that long to move the cats, let the dogs out, let the dogs back in, remove all animal fur from my work space, pick up my chair that the dog knocked over.........whew, and then I begin to color. So yes, I suppose I did wait a few minutes. LOL

Seaside Rose
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Laser ink also makes a difference (tends to have less problems). Different ink formulas for ink jet printers can be the issue, but in my experience, this is more common with exclusively with Copics or alcohol based markers. Laser ink almost never bleeds. Some of the Canon ink jet cartridge inks bleed, some don't. The ones for the MP780 do unless you heat set them or let them cure for a bit of time. With the WorkForce 600 and higher series, again, I can't say for Copics, but for watercolors and Tombows, these can be painted right out of the printer. I do it all the time. ;)