PDA

View Full Version : Who else has a husband (and/or son) who talks too much?

Vintagegal
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but sometimes I think both my son and husband TALK TOO MUCH!! :wacko:

Sometimes, my head hurts listening to their chatter. They're worse than teenage girls. Between the three of us, I think I am the most quiet (if you can believe that).

Anyone else have chatty men in their homes? Not that they have unimportant things to say. I'm glad my son talks to me (a lot). But, sometimes, I just want to say "Shhhh..... mom's head hurts, now." I know. I know. I should just be happy that they're willing to share with me, as much as they do. LOL!

When my son tells me a story, he TELLS me the ENTIRE story. Every last detail. I wonder if he's like this, at school? Same with my husband. I guess this is one of the reasons why I don't like to talk on the phone with people. I just want to tell them, "Get to the point, already!" I'm bad, huh? I think I get this trait from my dad. My mom can talk forever. Run-on sentence after run-on sentence. My dad is quiet. He just sits there and nods his head. (I wonder if he's even actively listening to my mom?)

tojoco
11-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Nope, don't have that problem. DH is very quiet and when I ask him a question, he answers with just as few words as possible. Although DS confides a lot in me, he gets right to the point and doesn't drag anything on. This is why sometimes I look for adult conversations at the gym. I don't know which is worse -- talking too much or talking too little.

hutchink
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
My hubby is so duper quiet for the most part. He is chatty on the phone with on his way home from work- then walks though the door and not a word unless he is still upset/excited about something. My boys are chatty :)

Christie
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Nope, Nathan is pretty quiet most of the time. He hates talking on the phone. I can be chatty if I know the person well. We do have a friend and he talks more then any girl I've ever known. Actually we have two friends who are like that and both of them are men!

cindi
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
my brothers buddy used to be married to a woman that talked so much, it was crazy how much. One day mt bro told her if he only listened to every third word..he'd still hear everything twice! she got ticked right off, but the rest of us were cracking up because it's so true. I like a man that talks because believe it or not, I am not always that chatty..I know I know,,you just fainted but it's true. so I like a talker..hmm I'm adding that to my list of what I want in my next man
:)

MidwestStamper
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
John does just about the right amount. He does like to talk and fill me in on how his day went at work--mostly the funny stuff that happens.

One of the first things I noticed, and liked, about him was his good sense of humor. Sometimes he's the more talkative one in social situations.He's also a good listener when I DO happen to want to talk. So I guess I'm pretty lucky with him!

My older son is pretty quiet most of the time. My younger son has always been gabby--when he was young he would talk and sing--I called him my little "radio". I will definately miss his companionship when he moves out for college!

BTW--we're going to see a play and then stay overnight at a Hotel tonight--time to talk! etc....hee hee...

cindi
11-06-2009, 06:13 PM
John does just about the right amount. He does like to talk and fill me in on how his day went at work--mostly the funny stuff that happens.

One of the first things I noticed, and liked, about him was his good sense of humor. Sometimes he's the more talkative one in social situations.He's also a good listener when I DO happen to want to talk. So I guess I'm pretty lucky with him!

My older son is pretty quiet most of the time. My younger son has always been gabby--when he was young he would talk and sing--I called him my little "radio". I will definately miss his companionship when he moves out for college!

BTW--we're going to see a play and then stay overnight at a Hotel tonight--time to talk! etc....hee hee...

oh! how nice. have a great time

Vintagegal
11-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Lidia, you're so cute. Have fun!!! ;)

Vintagegal
11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
my brothers buddy used to be married to a woman that talked so much, it was crazy how much. One day mt bro told her if he only listened to every third word..he'd still hear everything twice! she got ticked right off, but the rest of us were cracking up because it's so true. I like a man that talks because believe it or not, I am not always that chatty..I know I know,,you just fainted but it's true. so I like a talker..hmm I'm adding that to my list of what I want in my next man

That's a funny story, Cindi. I can chat it up online. But, I'm more of an observer/listener IRL. That's probably why my friends tell me their problems, so much. Because I just listen. I laugh a lot. I don't really speak, I guess. I like to laugh along with family and friends.

ccstampin12
11-06-2009, 07:29 PM
My DH is truly a motor mouth.
Whenever we're with friends, I could actually be elsewhere...cannot get a word in edgewise.
Can't say I enjoy it all the time.
Sometimes it's fine if there's something we need to talk about, but the constant chatter does tire a person out! I think I tune him out sometimes.
LOL
Joanie

teabear
11-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I could have written your post word for word, Ethel. I understand completely. The one thing I'll have to say is that both hubby and son get very quiet when something is wrong so I know right away when either one is having some sort of worry or is troubled about something.

Trishlvscards
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
My husband is a long story teller too. If I am really busy I will say to him can you tell me in 25 words or less? I know how you feel. He gives every detail of everything that happened to him all day at work or whatever.

My3Ds
11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
my d h grunts every once in a while. Does that count as talking. It's actually something that I truly dislike about him. One ds talks if he isn't doing something. The other two are chatty. One may be a little too chatty but I'm told he is very quiet in school unless called on to answer questions.

shuggy
11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
nope. i'm the chatty one.

iloveflipflops
11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
My DH is truly a motor mouth.
Whenever we're with friends, I could actually be elsewhere...cannot get a word in edgewise.
Can't say I enjoy it all the time.
Sometimes it's fine if there's something we need to talk about, but the constant chatter does tire a person out! I think I tune him out sometimes.
LOL
Joanie

I totally agree with Joanie about her DH. I have met him and he is sure a chatterbox!! LOL

iloveflipflops
11-06-2009, 10:51 PM
DH is quiet for the most part. Nicholas is a "male" version of Chatty Cathy. LOL Since he's been in kindergarten, EVERY SINGLE teacher tells me at the open house ... well, Nicholas sure doesn't have a problem talking in class. Yep I know that. But then look at me ... I love to talk!

gssoccermom
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
My pore husband can't hardly get a word in between myself who loves to talk all the time and my 13 and 9 year old daughters who are always talking. We use to joke that they were vaccinated with a phonograph needle. Ha ha

shadoob
11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm definitely the chatty one.
My dh only seems to want to talk when I really just want to be left alone....funny how that works. I just try to pay attention and then move on.

Actually, I have been technically dead 3 times, and two of them....the Drs and Nurses say that I was still talking...how weird is that?!?! Organs ALL shut down and my mouth still speaks.....

inkinupstamps
11-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Ha ha! Ethel, you and I are alike in more ways! I detest talking on the phone. I rarely talk on the phone for because I do not want to have to stand in the kitchen with the phone to my ear waiting.....waiting......for someone to make their point.

As for my DH he IS a talker. Oh my gosh! Tells me every detail with great drama. I love him dearly but sometimes my head almost explodes. I love a nice conversation...back and forth...but it is very tiring to listen to a monologue.

Hee hee...now I love a conversation one on one but again, not one sided. However look at how I go when I have the computer! I TYPE just like my husband talks.! LOL :)

maxiesmom
11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
In our own ways we both are. I'm the every little detail in the story person, he doesn't talk all that much TO ME! He has so many friends, he is on his phone very frequently. In that case, he's like a woman. We have lots of minutes on our plan because of him. I may use 30 in a month, most of my calls are to him- where are you calls.
When we are at parties or gatherings with friends he is very chatty as well, sounds like when he goes on his doctors apts. too.
Oh and I'm not a phone talker either, generally I talk to my mom, that's about it. I email everyone else.

logcabincreations
11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Well...my husband is pretty quiet until...he starts wrestling with the boys. Then they get on my nerves. But actually I'm more chatty and my husband tunes me out most of the time and my middle son just says "mom....chill"....lol

Nancy
11-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Ethel, I think this is true of men in the service also. A lot of times when DH starts about the military, time for me to leave. So the younger people flock to him. I do my share of talking but what interests the men doesnt interest me. Now if you and I can start about stamping and quilting(its on the way) we may not stop. - Nancy

patcreates
11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Both my husband and my older son (19) can REALLY talk too much, especially when they are talking about something they like (soccer or hockey). The 19 year old can get really loud too so I usually tell him.... "use your indoor voice!" LOL