PDA

View Full Version : I got the call...LATE last night!

Sherry
01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
So here I was, sound asleep in my comfy bed when all of a sudden the phone rings. I look at the clock and it's 11pm. And of course, you get to thinking that if a call comes in at that hour, there is something wrong. Someone must be hurt, right?

Well, not this time (whew!). It was Megan Hoeppner from PaperCrafts Magazine asking if I would be interested in submitting a card for publication (my love shorts one). Odd thing is, I submitted this card on their website in December of 2005!! She laughed when she saw that date, haha.

So anyhoo, I'm not sure if I'm going to submit it or not. I still have a couple of the cards lying around but she wants me to do another one and change the font to something more "cutesy". I happen to love the font that I chose on the original. What's the point of submitting something if they are going to ask you, the designer, to change and alter your artistic visions?

Deborah
01-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Oh, what a quandry! :confused:

VERY COOL to be invited by Paper Crafts though Sherry...and I KNOW you have dozens of "cutesy" fonts you could use.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Christie
01-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Wow, what a compliment! I'm sure I don't know what I would do. I'm know what ever you decided you should be proud of yourself!

Sherry
01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Oh, what a quandry! :confused:

VERY COOL to be invited by Paper Crafts though Sherry...and I KNOW you have dozens of "cutesy" fonts you could use.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Oh for sure - I am honored to be asked and I don't want to seem ungrateful. It just seems that everytime I get published with them, they ask me to change some aspect of my card/design. The last time I was published, they asked me to change the stamped image! :eek:

inkinupstamps
01-06-2007, 09:50 AM
That is such a thrill and I agree...what a delightful quandry!

Everything you make is just fabulous! Professional, clean, beautiful! I have to admit that the valentine shorts card is one of my all time favourites! But then, everything you make is my favourite!

You are awesome! Congratulations!:notworthy:

Erin K
01-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't kno the card! Is it in your gallery here. I gotta go check.

I think it's strange they ask everyone to change stuff. Well we are all totally supportive no matter what you do! Hurray you!

Any explination as to why they called at 11 on a Friday?

Erin K
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I see it's "out for publication" well I'll have to wait then.

Sherry
01-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't kno the card! Is it in your gallery here. I gotta go check.

I think it's strange they ask everyone to change stuff. Well we are all totally supportive no matter what you do! Hurray you!

Any explination as to why they called at 11 on a Friday?

Well, I am in the Atlantic time zone so 11pm here would have been 7pm their time. I guess they don't think of those things.

Sherry
01-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I see it's "out for publication" well I'll have to wait then.

Yeah, they asked me to remove the card from the website. I have decided to obey their rules until I decide whether or not I'm going to submit.

You know what, I don't even know if I still have my love shorts stamp. I think I sold that one awhile back when I considered giving up stamping. Hmmm....

Erin K
01-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Sold it when you WHAT???

Vintagegal
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
woooo-hoo! That's terrific news, Sherry! Which publication did she say it was going to be in?

My3Ds
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh, go ahead and submit it anyway. I've never heard of anyone selling their shorts :) And you know you must have been out of your head to think you were giving up stamping.

Sherry
01-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh, go ahead and submit it anyway. I've never heard of anyone selling their shorts :) And you know you must have been out of your head to think you were giving up stamping.

LOL, I did indeed sell my shorts :D
And yes, I have to agree, I think I WAS out of my mind for thinking I was giving up stamping. I sold ALL of my stamps (except 4 sets), my inks, my embellishments, ribbon, and tools. I also sold my previous stamping website, ink-stains. But, after I had sold it all, I regretted it miserably. And, the emails from supportive friends didn't help matters much - I missed it even more! I knew then that I had to start another website and, as a result, The Stamp Shack was born.

I still don't have much in the way of rubber stamps (just the four SU sets) but I did just purchase some Bella's, SU's Very Punny, some more gamsol & stumps, and a cute stamp from Addicted To Rubber Stamps. My muse appears to have returned so I guess I will just have to start all over. Perhaps the call from PaperCrafts (a YEAR after I submitted the card) is a sign that I should be stamping?

Whoopsie Daisy!
01-06-2007, 11:12 AM
You know I loooooove your cards, so this news comes as no surprise. CONGRATULATIONS!! Funny how long it took for them to make the call on your submission! lol!

GrammaStamper
01-06-2007, 11:13 AM
You sure should be stamping, Sherry! You're fabulous at it and so many other things, too! Congrats on the call!

tojoco
01-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't you ever give up stamping, my dear. Your work is just too fabulous - every single piece of it.

Congrats to you on the call. It is a bit strange about changing things but they did the same to me about a Valentine's card. I practically had to change the whole darn thing. But it did feel great that actually called and wanted to publish something I made.

Good luck on your decision.

Far North
01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Congratualations Sherri on the acknowledgement of a great card! Wow what fun to think about it being published!

But ouch...how unprofessional for them to call you at that hour! I have experienced several east coast business calls at 4-5am...I am sorry but I just am not civil when the wake me from a deep sleep. Good for you that you were able to handle it gracefully.

Guess just thinking about those calls puts be in an uncompromising mindset. I'm afraid I would be explaining I create art, pay me if you want me to create things according to your specifications...or better yet call me after my morning coffee:daydreaming:

The good news Sherri is that it sounds like you manuevered to get some time to think about it...and now to find the stamp.
Happy day for YOU!!!...Jan

shuggy
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
what were you thinking?? giving up stamping? if you ever need a reason as to why you shouldn't give it up, just look here, my friend! you created this place. you have inspired so many people that you probably don't even have any idea of!! i know i personally am in awe of you and your creativity.

it is kind of stinky that they ask you to change stuff...i mean, isn't it your card they liked?

woo hoo!!!

teabear
01-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Sherry, I bought the stamp from you with the heart shorts on it. I'm not leaving until Tues, so I can pop it in the mail to you on Monday. Keep it as long as you need it...how very cool that you got the call. I won't be using my stamps while I'm gone anyway.

Deborah
01-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Sherry, I bought the stamp from you with the heart shorts on it. I'm not leaving until Tues, so I can pop it in the mail to you on Monday. Keep it as long as you need it...how very cool that you got the call. I won't be using my stamps while I'm gone anyway.

Okay, NOW you just HAVE to....:nod:

Sherry
01-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Okay, you guys have convinced me. I will go ahead and submit the card :) I took a trip to my lss today and they had one of the Love Shorts stamps left so I bought it. I also picked up a couple of Amuse Art stamps. They are so danged adorable.

laos348
01-06-2007, 03:34 PM
That is fantastic news!!!

Laura

teabear
01-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok, so I won't send you the stamp now. Glad you got a new one! I can't wait to see your card in print.

Tantalize
01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Congratulations Sherry! Paper Crafts is my fav. card magazine. of them all!(I have others for scrapbooking). I love the fact that they constantly put out special issues as well. I am glad you didnt need more convincing because I would have just used up more space to tell you that you HAD to submit it. lol

Deborah
01-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Okay, you guys have convinced me. I will go ahead and submit the card :) I took a trip to my lss today and they had one of the Love Shorts stamps left so I bought it. I also picked up a couple of Amuse Art stamps. They are so danged adorable.

GOOD for YOU!!!!!

Let us know which issue it'll appear in. :notworthy:

kerry
01-07-2007, 11:32 AM
That's exciting news...

and just to put another spin on asking you to alter your work...

Editors even ask professional writers to alter their work so don't think they didn't like it...They just want it to fit perfectly in their mag.

Which issue is it going to be in????

Kerry

mcourtney
01-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Congrats, Sherry!

Erin K
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm glad you are sending it.

BTW your card was the topic of discussion at the lunch with Brian, his mom and his gran and me yesterday. I was telling about it and how they want you to change it. Marcia and Gram said NO WAY and that you are an artist and that they should NOT ask anyone to change their cards. Then Gram said if they do want it changed it's a comission and they should pay you... Anyhow I know I'd do it because I'd want to be in the magazine! But that was their input. :)

Amanda_Sewell
01-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Very cool, and sad that they want you to change something on it. Although since you submitted it so long ago, maybe the trends have changed quite a bit and so it is more trendy . . . I dunno . . . I know their job is to sell magazines though.

I have submitted to a couple of places but so far no publishing -- but I will continue to try! Congrats on your success!!!

Stampin' Meg
01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Good for you- how wild that they ask you to tweak it though- it's your "baby", seems odd that they would try to influence it :confused:

kenzlane
01-21-2007, 07:41 AM
congrats on your call from PC - can't wait to see it in the magazine. I too, sold many of my stamps, sortta regret it but I didn't use all of them & now someone else "HOPEFULLY" is creating wonderful things with them. Just have to start a new collection.