PDA

View Full Version : Copic Refills

directmailscrapper
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
You know how all of your light bulbs burn out at once? Well, all of my Copics are running out at once! I started with one refill, then bought two more, then two more, ordered about 6 from Oozak and today had to order about 8 more! The beauty of the Copics is that I can tell a refill bottle will last a LOOOOONG time.

Here's the question. (s)!

1. Do you buy a refill when you buy the original marker?
2. Do you wait until your marker runs out?
3. I finally figured out my marker storage for portability (thanks Cindi) and I love my X boxes for my workspace for the markers -- but the refills are shaped weird and don't want to stack! Has anyone figured out storage options for the refills?
4. Have you ever changed out your nibs?

The refills on Oozak are $5 -- not bad when you consider how long they'll last!

3amnmmom
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Wow I didn't know that Nancy, what's $5 after you've already spent the $6 originally. I haven't had to refill any of mine yet.

directmailscrapper
11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Tracy -- buy your Sketch markers at Oozak! If you register, they are only $4.15 each! And free shipping with a $50 order (and unfortunately, it isn't hard to get to $50!)

GSMom385
11-18-2009, 11:37 PM
A marker takes 5cc when it is totally empty and a refill is something like 25cc in size. So it will fill the marker 5 times when you look at it like that. I buy the refill when the marker starts getting streaks. I get my refills from merriartist.com and they normally come in like 3 days so it isn't a big deal for me to order them when it starts getting dry and have them in a short period. You don't want to let the marker run totally out and get very dry as it will ruin the nib. The ink will dry in the nib and then it will be blochy. If this does happen you can revive the nib by soaking it for a few hours in pure rubbing alcohol. Then rinse the nib unti it runs clear in more of the same. I keep my refills in a gallon zip lock bag, just for pure protection in case they leak. I don't travel with the refills, so I don't have options for them. I only fill markers while at home. I have replaced nibs, it isn't difficult at all and you don't need the tweezers so don't waste the money on them. It is much easy to simply get your fingers dirty and grab the nib at the base close to the marker and pull. Nib are pretty durable, and the ones I have replaced it was because I wanted a finer point on the marker not because the nib was bad. If you rinse them out they can be used again, simply store them in a baggie with a little bit of rubbing alcohol to keep them moist. If they dry out, they don't work so good afterward.

Some LSS have refill programs where they fill markers for a fee. In our certification class they were really pushing selling the refill stations to the shops that were there because they said it was a great way to draw customers back again. I still think I would buy my own refills, but I know this would be a good deal for some people that don't want the hassle of filling themselves. I would highly recommend getting the refill needle, it does make filling much easier and less messy. It can be used over and over if rinsed clean with alcohol.

My E00 and E02 ran out first and then my grays started running out next on mine. I made an angel tag for Sherri's swap and all the blues I used for that project ran out next as it was a large tag and took lots of ink and blender solution. On the blender I would recommend buying the large bottle instead of the standard refill. I have filled my blender pen more than a dozen times now, so the bigger bottle is well worth the money and I didn't do that to begin with, got the smaller one at first.

kimmyqtgirl
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Wow Cindy thanks for the info. I haven't had to refill any yet but I have 144 markers so I'm a little nervous about when they start getting dry. I know it takes a while. I do have a store that offers refills but I think it would be more cost effective to buy my own too. I am going to check out your site. I know there are alot of colors I don't use often but eventually I'll probably have to get them all - lol. I wondered about the needle thanks for the tips. It's great to have some expert advise:)

directmailscrapper
11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks! I knew I was asking the right people!

cindi
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I haven't had to refill any of mine yet,,and I'm scared of teh day they all start running out! thanks for the great info
:)