PDA

View Full Version : MORE Computer woes~and questions!!!

ccstampin12
11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
:shocked:As you may remember, I've been having problems with my computer since the Facebook incident.
I have been calling 'a guy' to come and see if he can fix it, but he hasn't been here yet. I'm thinking I may need a different 'guy!'
So, today, the monitor decides not to wake up from its sleep mode. I shut down the whole computer and waited a long while. So, it's back on, but colors are washed out and the window is smaller and a bit distorted. I know I'll be needing a new monitor soon anyway, but was waiting to figure out what kind of computer I need before going ahead with a purchase.
(Like after the holidays)
I was debating about a Dell, which have been very good to me in the past. I've only ever had to buy 2 computers...and this one I've had for almost 8 years.
What do you all know about Windows 7? Will my graphics programs work with that if I had Windows XP?
I have Picture It! and love it...really want to be able to use all of these 'older' goodies!
If I cannot get back to use my computer, my DH has said I can use his from time to time, so will check back and see what you all know about these questions!
I KNOW you gals know more than I!
My other choice was to get an IMAC, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to figure it all out in a hurry and I'm going to be in a hurry!~
THANKS in advance!
Joanie:err:

jazzypurple853
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a dell, I've had it quite a number of years. Have been very pleased with it. I loved how you could pick and choose your options as to what you wanted. I don't think it took to long to have it delivered once I placed the order. I just remembered that I had to be home to sign for it when it was being delivered.

I don;t know anything about windows 7. Perhaps you can call Dell directly and ask them the questions, and you get someone that knows what you are talking about.

cindi
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I hope your computer makes it through teh holidays..then maybe you can get a really good after Christmas sale. I know nothing about windows 7 either, but I am curious
:)

tojoco
11-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Joanie, you have to be very careful about the software you're running with Windows XP to be compatible with Windows 7. I think they have developed something called XPMode Compatibility which pretty much makes all software 100% compatible with Windows 7 BUT will only be free to Windows 7 Professional users; therefore, it sounds to me that this is something else that you will have to purchase if you get Windows 7 Home Use to be sure all your programs will work properly. I would speak to a professional about this before buying anything.

Patty
11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I wish I knew more about this stuff. I always ask Ellie's husband--my bil. Why can't it all be in English. I took mine to a place near me rather than call a company and speak so to someone in a different country. I never understand what they are telling me to do--I wish I could take a class to get smarter about these things. Good luck.

JBgreendawn
11-26-2009, 03:26 PM
i had an HP puter built for work with Windows7 in it, so far so good. the thing with 7 is its supposed to be an "universal" program so that your older softwear will run in it, so far the only old program i have loaded into is is office 2003 ( at home we have vista and had to go buy office 2007 because it was not vista compatible (2003) things like that... so 7 should if it works save people some money that way. Im considering changing the house puters over to 7 with upgrades because the vista drives me nuts. and today i was able to download a free "google chrome" internet browser and i think that is gonna fix all the issues i have had with the internet explorer and not being able to upload photos or files...

JBgreendawn
11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
oh and with HP you can call them up and have it built just like an dell.. ( and for what i was buying it was hundreds of dollars less) but, i am running the pro version of 7 in it... I did pick up an Windows7 admin book at borders too. and that helps with little things.

Far North
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
OH I so dislike learning all the new ribbon locations and icons for the new Microsoft 7 programs. I spent years learning all the locations and used of tons of little features in the old programs some of which can not be created now. Lots of employees say it is "no big deal" but I think it a matter of how comfortable you are in using icons instead of words as well as if you do lots of complex layouts/graphic/numerical presentations etc.
I have used many dells over the years and have had great success as long as they are loaded to support the type of work I do. Good luck!

Mrs. Fence
11-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Sorry, I am no help. We recently "lost" a laptop to a rogue virus. Had to scrap the whole thing. I am following this thread with you, as I'm thinking we are going to need a new one at some point as well. Good luck to you!!! It's a big decision to make.

mjbonoan
11-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I hear your pain... I'm using a loaner from work right now! I'll be getting an HP laptop in the next few days... Windows 7 is supposed to be pretty good! I had to return 3 laptops with Windows Vista beause my external mouse stopped working all 3 times... I have had surgery on both hands so the external mouse is a total must. Good luck and I do hope your computer makes it past the holidays... I love Picture It!!! haven't used it in forever... do hope it works with your new computer!!