PDA

View Full Version : My PEANUT BRITTLE Recipe!

ccstampin12
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I promised this recipe to you all quite a while ago, and here it is.
You have to have some time and a candy thermometer!
This came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook and makes approx. 2#.

1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 Cup water
1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
3 TB. Butter or Marg.
1 pound Spanish Peanuts
Butter 2 baking sheets and set aside.
Combine soda, 1 tsp. water and the vanilla and set aside. (I use a small measuring cup for this part)
Combine sugar, 1 C water and the corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to 240 degrees on candy thermometer.
Stir in the butter and peanuts. Cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees.
Watch carefully so mixture doesn't burn.
Immediately remove from heat. Stir in the soda mixture thoroughly making sure all of it gets mixed in.
Mixture will begin to foam.
Pour half of the mixture onto each baking sheet and quickly spread evenly to about 1/4" thick. Cool, and break candy into pieces.
ENJOY!!!!
Joanie
PS...I always double this recipe to save time...and use 4 baking sheets.

jazzypurple853
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I promised this recipe to you all quite a while ago, and here it is.
You have to have some time and a candy thermometer!
This came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook and makes approx. 2#.

1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 Cup water
1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
3 TB. Butter or Marg.
1 pound Spanish Peanuts
Butter 2 baking sheets and set aside.
Combine soda, 1 tsp. water and the vanilla and set aside. (I use a small measuring cup for this part)
Combine sugar, 1 C water and the corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to 240 degrees on candy thermometer.
Stir in the butter and peanuts. Cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees.
Watch carefully so mixture doesn't burn.
Immediately remove from heat. Stir in the soda mixture thoroughly making sure all of it gets mixed in.
Mixture will begin to foam.
Pour half of the mixture onto each baking sheet and quickly spread evenly to about 1/4" thick. Cool, and break candy into pieces.
ENJOY!!!!
Joanie
PS...I always double this recipe to save time...and use 4 baking sheets.

I have a question, what are spanish peanuts? Where would you find them in the market?

ccstampin12
12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I think they are in with nuts...they are a bit smaller than the party mix from Planters.
I'll check the brand on our cans...
DH bought the supplies this year and he bought them at Stop and Shop....their brand.
They are in the 12 oz. cans and I use a whole can for a batch.
When I double the batch, I use a can and a half of the nuts!
Good luck!
joanie

jazzypurple853
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I'll check my stop and shop. Now , I just need to get a candy thermometer.

ccstampin12
12-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Bumping up in case you are interested and missed it!
Joanie

cindi
12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
sounds yummy!!! I would need to get a candy thermomiter too..if I have time before Christmas I'll give it a go.
:nod:

suzi_f
12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Thermometer question: I have a digital thermometer; will that work in place of a candy thermometer or does it have to be the glass one??

ccstampin12
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Thermometer question: I have a digital thermometer; will that work in place of a candy thermometer or does it have to be the glass one??

I honestly don't know what a digital thermometer is....if it has the different readings like "soft ball", "hard crack" etc. then it's fine for a candy thermometer.
You could google this question I suppose!
LOL
Joanie

suzi_f
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I honestly don't know what a digital thermometer is....if it has the different readings like "soft ball", "hard crack" etc. then it's fine for a candy thermometer.
You could google this question I suppose!
LOL
Joanie

It's doesn't have those notations but it gives you an EXACT temp, like 147, a digital read out. I used it before on peanut brittle & it worked. Used it on fudge & it was a NO GO!!! Who has a good fudge recipie that does NOT include marshmallow fluff!!!

cindi
12-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Mrs fences mom makes her famous fudge..no idea if it has fluff or not..pm her and ask..everyone raves about her moms fudge
:)