PDA

View Full Version : Question from a Copic neanderthal...

shadoob
12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
So, I read the other copic threads and perhaps I missed this...but...

If I have never used copics and want to buy a good beginning set, what do you suggest? :goofy:
I read the whole sketch vs. ciao (sp?) discussion, but I don't know about which colors.
I know I want a good skin tone (suggestions?)
but what else would be good to start with? I am thinking under $100. ish instead of the whole $400. thing. $40.00 would be a better amt.

Thanks.

Cinnistew
12-26-2009, 02:26 PM
If I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy a set... I would just buy individual markers. Check out the Flourishes website... they have their markers grouped by clors with 3-4 markers of each color group so you have the right shades for blending.

http://www.flourishes.org/servlet/the-COPICS/Categories

Also, make sure you get a colorless blander so you can fix any mistakes you may make!

mydogstinks2
12-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I only have 2!

I have YR00 for the skin color and C1 cool grey for outlining.

I do plan on getting more but I am only buying them like 2 or 3 at a time. That way I don't end up with a color I won't use.

shuggy
12-26-2009, 03:07 PM
i am no help. i'm a prismacolor girl. i got 25 new ones for christmas!! i had to redo my system to store them.

shadoob
12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you, Ladies. I think I should get the 2 colors that Chris has...those make sense right now.

iloveflipflops
12-26-2009, 03:25 PM
This is what i did. I love love love my Copic markers. I have about 30 total. I started off buying my favorite colors. Green, pink, blue, purple, orange and then I worked my way from there. I took an online class (I can't for the life of me remember the girl's name) and it did help me quite a bit. It was a 6 week class for $35 or something like that.

These are the markers I have and I like the end results i have with mine:

Pink - RV13, RV 14
Purples- V12, V15, V17
Oranges - YR61, YR65, YR68
Greens - G21, G24, G28
Blues - B21, B24, B26
Browns - E33, E35, E37 (i use this combo for my riley moose)

For hair colors, I use Y21 Buttercup for blond with Y26 Mustard highlights

I didn't even blend at first. I would color normal and then added blending later on. It really does take lots of practice (at least for me) to get awesome results. I know Cindy Hoch is certified and maybe she can give you some tips. In fact, I need to email her myself as her coloring always looks so much better than mine. I also looked on you tube for copic marker tutorials and that helped too (and that's free)

Good luck. Be warned .... you will LOVE them :).

directmailscrapper
12-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Cheryl,

I put together some suggestions for some ladies I met at a weekend crop several weeks ago about the Copics. Some of the stuff below might be redundant -- I'm combining notes from 2 e-mails. Hope this helps some!

I prefer the SKETCH markers. Most of my markers are Sketch. I have a few Ciao because they are cheaper – but I’m not buying them anymore. The Sketch markers have the numbers on the ends and hold more ink. You have to look carefully at the barrels on the Ciao marker to see what the color numbers are – and I store mine in X boxes from Rubbermaid and they store on their sides – so I need to know what the numbers are!

The sets of markers cost the same as individual markers, I think. I recommend that you get a light and a dark of each color so you can blend them (that’s part of the fun of the Copic markers!) One of the blogs that I read is http://prairepaperandink.typepad.com/amyr/ She has a post on which colors she would recommend to someone who was starting out – and they are: E50, E51, R20, R27, R29, E25, E27, C-1, 0 (colorless blender), BG10, YG03, G05, G07, Y15, Y17, YR04, YR07, YR12, RV04, RV06, BV02, BV04. I would add to that either B000 or B0000 for that blue outline that I used on many of my cards. (I have BOTH of them – helps me blend the colors – but the colorless blender would accomplish the same thing) I also like W01, W03, W05 (those are the grays – and I use them a lot) I also seem to use R22 a lot.

I buy my Copics and Refills from www.oozak.com. You need to register on the site (for FREE) to get the best prices. Recommendations for getting started: Pick a light and medium-to-dark shade of the same color so you can blend. Believe it or not, the colors I seem to use the most are the lightest ones! I love the B0000, Y0000 and the lighter grays – I can use them for shading and outlining. Spend some time at http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ to learn more about how the numbering works and tricks for getting the most out of your markers.

At the crop, I stored my Copics in a $7.00 toolbox that I bought from Walmart. There is an insert that I removed so that the markers would fit – but you can’t beat the price! At HOME, I store my Copics in a bunch of X-boxes that you can get here: http://www.discountofficeitems.com/office-supplies/desk-organizers/desk-organizers-holders/desktop-storage/rubbermaid-shelf-saver-cube/p61515.html Sometimes you can find them at Office Depot, but they can be hard to find in person.

The ink I used is Memento Tuxedo Black – you need a DYE ink to use with the Copic markers. More info: http://www.tsukineko.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=70

Paper: I use a regular white card stock for a lot of my stamping (don’t know the brand, but it is pretty smooth). I splurged and bought white cardstock from here: http://www.papertreyink.com/pb_paper.html -- I bought the white. This paper is SUPER for coloring – the colors blend like butter. Another paper that I’ve heard great things about is Pure Luxury from Gina K: http://shop.ginakdesigns.com/category.sc?categoryId=68

scrubbybubbles
12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, I'm a totally newbie myself too and I wasn't sure where to start either. I did a LOT of homework and finally decided on this (http://www.scor-pal.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=85&zenid=47143de5fbabab447868323873f345c0) set (set A) from Scorpal. The colors were chosen by Marianne Walker herself and they say they are the perfect set for beginners.I am SO glad I went this way. I have everything I need to get started. I just received them this past week and finally had a chance to play with them today for the first time. My boyfriend bought me the EX-4 pastels set also for Christmas. I LOVE them! I just posted my first Copic card in my gallery here if you'd like to see them in action. I also followed Suzanne Dean's (http://scrapbitz.blogspot.com/)suggestion as far as hair colors, clothing, landscape, etc. etc. I just ordered a few more from iCopic that I felt I needed per her suggested colors. She has a PDF that you can print out of the colors as well as some helpful tips on her blog with the link I provided. She also has some AWESOME you-tube videos as well which I have been pouring over as well as Debbie Olson's and Marianne Walkers. Oh, and I agree with the above poster as far as paper. I have been using PTI CS for some time now but, I just ordered some Gina K. pure luxury white CS because I heard that the colors do not bleed through so the paper makes it easier for the colors to blend plus you don't use as much ink. HTH!

Merry4003
12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi cheryl, I agree with Sue, the Suzanne Dean's tutorials are awesome, I watch and rewatch them. I have never seen the prices cheaper than the place Nancy said, oozak.com, but be sure to register like she said. My favorite paper is Gina K luxury cardstock 120 lb. and use the Memento Ink. I love the copics, they are a lot of fun, and trust me, I am the last person that would be classified as "crafty" or "artistic", but I sure have fun trying and learning. Oh, and I too, just collected a few at a time. Oozak offers free shipping with a 50.00 order, which is nice !

tojoco
12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
When I started out with Copics, I bought individual markers so I could buy the colors I wanted and use more. They are so expensive that I didn't want to buy a set that had colors in it that I'd never use. I totally agree with what everyone else said about the markers. Copic does offer an acrylic marker holder which holds 72 markers. That's the one I have and I love it. Of course, that holder is totally full now so the next time I buy markers, I'll have to buy another holder. I also bought a few of the Copic "AtYouSpica" markers that is very glittery and I use them quite often.

shadoob
12-26-2009, 10:54 PM
WOW!!! Just another reason I love you all...thank you!

Paula Carden
12-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a few of the AtYouSpica markers too- I use them lots. Very few copics but I do love the ones I have. I have a bunch of colors in the Touche that I bought in Paris a couple of years ago-so I can't justify buying all copics yet- they are very similar. As I add colors I am buying Copics only- I love the Sketch because of the numbers being on the end-also that you can store them upright and not flat.
But I sure have lots of things too like tombows and marvy markers which I am not replacing. Wish I had known about copics before I bought so many of those but I do still like Prisma pencils and gamsol too.
The place Nancy mentions Oozaks- has the best prices I have found anywhere. The Copics sure make Nancy's cards AWESOME!

scraphappy908
12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Cheryl, I just want you to know you are not alone. I am also a neanderthal when it comes to Copics and other new products. I'm also a neanderthal with new techniques too. I really want to try them. Maybe I should add that to my New Years resolution on Paula's thread!