PDA

View Full Version : Haircut tipping question....Cindi??

patcreates
12-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I got a haircut today (which I am thrilled with), but its the first time in my life I have EVER paid $40 for a haircut. I mean, I will pay it if the experience and the cut is worth it and today they definitely were. However, I am not sure if I tipped enough. I tipped $5....but given the price, I wasn't sure if I should have tipped more. My hair is short if that makes any difference. I just went from short to shorter.

workin4stamps
12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
My haircuts are usually about $30 and I tip $5. My cut+color is usually $80 and give $10 for that................

hope that's okay!!

cindi
12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
That tip is just fine. wow I have never paid 40.00 for a cut though..lol
I have noticed that with teh economy in the pitts my customers are tipping a little less..I don't mind, as I'd rather have them come in & tip less than stop coming. I'm glad you liked your cut
:)

limeyscrapper
12-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I have several clients who are hairdressers ( I am a bookkeeper) and my hairdressers talked to me once about tipping.
This is the information that they gave me.
If the hairdresser is self-employed ( rents the chair space at the salon ) then she gets all the money from your haircut, because you are her customer, and she doesn't necessarily expect a big tip. If you get your hair done at a salon where the stylists are all employees, then you should leave a slihghtly bigger tip because it often has to be shared with shampoo staff and front end staff.
I have my hair cut at a salon where the stylists are all self employed - and my haircut costs $40, I always leave a $5 tip.

shadoob
12-26-2009, 02:23 PM
geez, I've been giving too much. I usually tip atleast 15% for whatever service I get.(Massage, hair cut, dye etc...) Sometimes when they go the extra mile, I go up to 20%. Perhaps there is a reason I don't cut or color my hair anymore..but I don't want to give up those massages. hhmmmmm. I wonder if it changes depending on our locale.

iloveflipflops
12-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I give $5 tip for a haircut (my haircuts are $30) and $10 for a color and cut ($45). And I decided to be a good Santa and gave her $25 as a Christmas bonus :).

directmailscrapper
12-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Uh, I ALWAYS tip 20% (I've been going to the same person for YEARS). I figure, if there is one person on the planet you should tip well, it's the person who cuts your hair. Think about it, the waiter in the restaurant, no matter how good your meal was, isn't going to remember you or how much you tipped. But the woman you see every 6 - 8 weeks who cuts your hair and knows the name of your kid -- SHE'S going to remember! LOL!

iloveflipflops
12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Uh, I ALWAYS tip 20% (I've been going to the same person for YEARS). I figure, if there is one person on the planet you should tip well, it's the person who cuts your hair. Think about it, the waiter in the restaurant, no matter how good your meal was, isn't going to remember you or how much you tipped. But the woman you see every 6 - 8 weeks who cuts your hair and knows the name of your kid -- SHE'S going to remember! LOL!

Good point Nancy!!

mahodgman
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I've got a haircut tipping story for you. Long ago I read an article in a magazine that said if your stylist is the owner, they would be offended by your tip. If they are not the owner, then you should tip the normal 15-20% like you would for dinner. DH and I have both been going to the same salon (one woman show/owner operated) for many many years now. I never tipped her at the beginning because of that article and he did. So one day about 6 years ago now, I told her about this magazine article I had read and asked her if she would be offended by a tip. She told me she had never heard of any kind of industry standard as far as tipping goes, but that she never expects one. From that day on I started tipping her, but then I found out later that DH had stopped after I told him the story. Anyway, long story short is that we both now tip her because we love her!

mjbonoan
12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I've been going to the same salon for years... there are two ladies that do my hair there and although my hair cut is only $9.95 my tip for either lady is always $5.00.

IMBlessed5
12-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Interesting to read this! I don't go to a salon very often and always wondered about this issue. I grew up with my mom always cutting my hair and she still does sometimes. The last few times I have paid for a cut, it was with a lady who goes to our church, I've known her for years, owns her own little salon, mostly senior citizens for clients. Anyway, her cuts are $10 and I think I left $2-$3 extra with my check if I remember right. It's been a while. I never knew what to do though.

Mrs. Middleton
12-27-2009, 09:24 AM
i always tip $10.. only because wen i was working i worked for tips.. and if they deserve it they get $10.. if they don't then they get 5&=$.. ive never gone below 5$ even if there rude unfortunately... i just chalk it up to them having a bad day... 40$ for a haircut isn't bad if u live here in cali.. lol everything is stupidly expensive... ive had friends that have paid 300$ to get there hair cut, colored and dried.. i almost passed out wen i heard that!

Trishlvscards
12-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I always tip 20% as well as Nancy and for the same reasons. Take care of the ones that can determine what you look like.

1of2shoes
12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I, too, pay $40 for a cut and I tip 15-20%. When I get my hair colored it's $75 for base and highlights and I tip $15. I used to get my hair cut in San Francisco (an 8 hour drive!) but I didn't pay for the haircut. I paid in vodka. His regular prices were $150! Good thing he's a friend, eh?

loobylou
12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I find this very interesting. In Australia, tipping is not a way of life like it seems to be in the US (based on watching tv..lol). Not even in restaurants are tips expected. Our employee's basic wage is higher. Having said that, the only person I tip is a hairdresser.

Christie
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I tiip too little I guess. I never have her dry or style it, jut a shampoo and a cut. The cut is 27 and I give a $3 tip. I guess I"ll bump it up to $5

patcreates
12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. It was very interesting seeing everyone's opinions. Since this was the first time I had gone to this hairdresser, I did keep my tip on the conservative side. But since I am very happy with my experience, and I do intend to go back to her, I will definitely bump it up a couple of dollars. I have to say, this is the first time in a very long time that I am still very pleased with my haircut, several days later. For once, I feel like a hairdresser REALLY listened to me.