PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have the Wii...

Mrs. Fence
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Did you know that you can click on a "mingle" button and your Wii will connect to all the other Wii's out there??? :huh: I didn't. I thought Jacob was watching the game play itself, like a demo, and it turns out he was watching two people play somewhere out there around the world! Is it just me, or is this more than a little scary?:confused: Oh, and I did make him "unclick" the button...

cindi
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
what??? that is creepy!!
:huh:

ccstampin12
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I knew about it, but won't be 'mingling' anytime soon!
LOL
Joanie

Far North
01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Well, I think someone in your house is a real computer wiz! It took days here to get the connection through the router correct. It is not merely clicking the hand control button.

The only game I play online is Mario. Everyone has screen names and of course some good competition is part of the fun! At the end there are canned phases folks can send to each other. Other that learning what country on may be from I have not seen an exchange of personal information.

There are a lot of web connections that one can make if they so choose but I rather just look at the weather on my computer. I am not sure it is much different of a virus risk that using the internet...just on your TV.

stampinmom3
01-12-2010, 06:31 AM
I don't like that at all either.

loobylou
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Tracey, I would go back and look thru your settings. I know my son has an X-box, and the settings for interacting and using an internet connection had to be done (or not) when we set it up. it required a wireless connector to pick up internet, and also because the wireless connector requires a "security code" for access, I can control who uses it as no-one has the code except me...

Mrs. Fence
01-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Good idea, Sarah, except that's all way over my head! We have wireless internet, so I guess the Wii picked up on that - but I thought you had to access the code too, and I don't even know what it is, so I know no one else does. I'm going to have to read the manual...just what I wanted to do! LOL

ccstampin12
01-12-2010, 08:34 AM
ACK!!!
READ the manual?
That's desperate!
LOL
Joanie

Spartymom
01-12-2010, 09:54 AM
We just got the Wii and noticed the wiis could mingle. we decided that's not good. I did get the wireless internet going and you have to have your PIN number each time you want to get on. Also, to send notes to your friends, you have to have their number address. kinda confusing and takes to much time.

tesschap
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Tracey - you can set your wireless network up so that you have to enter a WEP code (not sure what it stands for) for a new user (computer/wireless game/etc) to be able to use your router. I never did this until we got our new router from our cable/internet provider this summer. Now I can't find where I wrote the WEB number down and I can't remember how to find it online (although I did this once). You may want to check with your internet provider to see if they can walk you through this.

I was thinking it may be fun if some of the Shackies could play each other in Wii games but I'm not too keen on playing against a stranger ...

Mrs. Fence
01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Tracey - you can set your wireless network up so that you have to enter a WEP code (not sure what it stands for) for a new user (computer/wireless game/etc) to be able to use your router. I never did this until we got our new router from our cable/internet provider this summer. Now I can't find where I wrote the WEB number down and I can't remember how to find it online (although I did this once). You may want to check with your internet provider to see if they can walk you through this.

I was thinking it may be fun if some of the Shackies could play each other in Wii games but I'm not too keen on playing against a stranger ...

I thought it was set up for needing the code to access the router, but I don't think Jacob knows the code-or does he? Hmmm...I may have to do some investigating...it would be fun to play fellow shackies. I think our Tiikkistars Karen knows how to play friends, without strangers getting in. Maybe she can help. Seems like she said you have to accept people? I'm just not sure. Guess it's back to that manual reading. Blech!