PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a Shack Cruise ...

tesschap
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I was curious how many Shackies (and family members) might be interested in a group cruise? We're taking our second cruise this April and when I was speaking to my DH's cousin who is a travel agent she mentioned we'd only need 20 people to organize a 'group'. My thoughts would be that we'd do the cruise type offerings so that we could spend some quality time with our families and we'd have some organized hours each day or night for stamping. If planned in advance the cruise ship would give us a designated area for our stamping time.

NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines) is who we've cruised with basically for their Freestyle cruising ... without shopping around they have rates on their website for January - February 2010 of $239 for inside cabin; $279 for Ocean view; $399 for balcony; and $689 for Suite. (Per person/double occupancy).

I would also contact some of our favorite stamping companies to see if they would donate any items of let us do a group buy of a few stamp sets or something ...

Just a thought ... let me know if any of you are interested.

Thanks.

teabear
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd be interested if it was a mexico cruise or something here on the west coast. We love NCL, but weren't fond of the caribbean. This is such a great idea, Teresa. The crafty cruises that I've seen were expensive because of the cost of the celebrity crafters. We could teach each other for a lot less $.

Jadyeebugsaunt
01-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Tami,
we aren't celebrities? I think we have some celebrities in are midst. Also that would be great, not that id get to go, but you all would have a blast!

I'd be interested if it was a mexico cruise or something here on the west coast. We love NCL, but weren't fond of the caribbean. This is such a great idea, Teresa. The crafty cruises that I've seen were expensive because of the cost of the celebrity crafters. We could teach each other for a lot less $.

Kreative Dryve
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
That would be great if it worked into my school routine.

workin4stamps
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Are you saying it would be this April???

I probably wouldn't be able to just because of Shackapalooza....I don't think I can handle 2 trips in one month!! Plus I'm going to Florida in February so that's a lot of traveling already....

sounds fun though and if we ever do it further down the road, then maybe!!

tesschap
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Are you saying it would be this April???

I probably wouldn't be able to just because of Shackapalooza....I don't think I can handle 2 trips in one month!! Plus I'm going to Florida in February so that's a lot of traveling already....

sounds fun though and if we ever do it further down the road, then maybe!!

No - I'm thinking January or February 2011, although dates can be flexible. I'd prefer not to cruise during the summer or hurricane season. I thought I'd through this out to see if there was any interest and what origin port would make sense for the majority of who wants to go.

We're going on a cruise this April.

midnitecreations
01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I went on the NCL for our Alaskan cruise. Loved it! It would be great to do another.

workin4stamps
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
No - I'm thinking January or February 2011, although dates can be flexible. I'd prefer not to cruise during the summer or hurricane season. I thought I'd through this out to see if there was any interest and what origin port would make sense for the majority of who wants to go.

We're going on a cruise this April.

gotcha!! well depending on the timing, I would definitely consider it!

MidwestStamper
01-19-2010, 03:37 PM
My DH and I have been toying with the idea of an Alaskan Cruise in 2011 because we will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary that summer.

I can see a batch of Shackies having a blast on a cruise!

mydogstinks2
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
that sounds like something I would like to do.

maxiesmom
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I would love to be cruising with Shackies, David however would probably chew off his arm if I had large quantities of crafting time involved. The only way I got him onto a cruiseship in the first place cause it was Alaska.

lakeslady
01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I cruised the Carribean on a Stamping cruise back in 2003 and had an absolute blast, it was such fun. Must admit to wanting to sleep for a week when I came home as the stamp room was open 24/7.

I just adore cruising in fact we are looking to do another one right now. Our last one was the Norweign fyjords last September.

Go for it girls you wont regret it

tojoco
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Depending on where, when and the cost, I would definitely be interested. I've been on a few cruises already and feel they are the best vacation ever. I've been on an NCL cruise and also the Carnival Cruise Lines and had a fantastic time. I would absolutely love a stamping cruise.

shuggy
01-19-2010, 06:33 PM
i would love to!!

Patty
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I'd be interested, depending on from where. How long? Seems like a really good price.

ngreek
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I would be interested inmore details. BUt would definately consider it.

Tantalize
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
2011 would be doable, this year is a no for me because I'm going on an Alaskan in May!! :D

cindi
01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
oh man..who would pay my bar bill??? danger danger!
:swoon:

paperprintss
01-20-2010, 01:27 AM
I would love it, but I too am a teacher and therefore it would have to work around school. I too would love Mexico

loobylou
01-20-2010, 01:57 AM
I'd love to go on a cruise. Maybe I could convince my hubby...

loobylou
01-20-2010, 06:11 AM
really Teresa, please do get me some dates and all that stuff. I realised it's our 20th wedding anniversary in 2011 and also I am due long service leave and I want to go on a cruise. Problem is, it might have to be towards the end of the year..I will still think about this tho'

Paula Carden
01-20-2010, 06:22 AM
I would be interested depending on the dates-also depending on where as I am not a big fan of the Carbb/Bahamas but would consider it with other Shackies. We have been a couple of times.

Deborah
01-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Neat idea Teresa!!

Y'know, I think I'd be interested too! :cute: Definitely not Alaska though. Sorry adventurous Shackies, but in February, I need to ESCAPE snow and ice, not travel to it. :no2: Somewhere warm would be great.

Teresa, when you quoted a price in your first post, what does that mean, and what would be our port of departure and arrival? I'd need to check airfares from Halifax to see whether I could afford it, and to start a crusie fund. :) If we're sailing from somewhere in the eastern US, that'd be perfect.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could start a class schedule too!? Shackies teaching shackies!!

Waiting for more...

spredbirds
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
how fun would this be!!!!

tesschap
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
The price I quoted in my original post is cruise only per person, not including airfare. It's the 5 day (four night) cruise that we are taking to the Bahamas. I would like to plan the cruise for 2011 if possible. Non-stampers are welcome. My vision is to have an a designated area of the ship where we could stamp at certain times during the cruise. I would expect we'd like to also spend time checking out the various ports and the ship's activities with our families (and with our fellow Shackies) but getting a few hours each day or night to stamp with our fellow Shackies would be a must!

I also want to mention that in no way am I trying to solicit my DH's cousin as a travel agent. I will talk to her for advice and I will also go directly to the cruise line's customer service for information, ideas, pricing, etc. If anyone has other suggestions I'm open to hearing them. I had so much fun on our first cruise and am anxious for our next cruise this April ... I just think it would be something fun and different to do with our stamping family ...

I will try to put together some type of questionnaire to see what the majority would be interested in. Here are some things we would need to consider ... please let me know what I am forgetting ...

1. Port of Departure
2. Length of Cruise
3. Ports of Call (Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, etc)
4. Dates that work best for you
5. How many would be traveling in your party?
6. Ideas for stamping activities

I'll give it a day or two to see what other questions we get and then I will post the questions. Thanks.

teabear
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
It all sounds great Teresa. My hubby is not a cruiser, but my mom and son are. He'd be busy with all the teen activities and mom could stamp with us. She had a grand time when she took one of my stamping classes. She should be able to travel again by next year. My cousin might like to come along, too. It sounds like lots of fun!

Deborah
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
1. Port of Departure...eastern US best for us, but would consider others :cute:
2. Length of Cruise...max flex....one week...two weeks...
3. Ports of Call (Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, etc)....max flex again (lol), would LOVE Bermuda though...have been several times...
4. Dates that work best for you Max flex again :cute:
5. How many would be traveling in your party? two, possibly three
6. Ideas for stamping activities workshops-workshops!!

I'll give it a day or two to see what other questions we get and then I will post the questions. Thanks.

So whaddya think??

iloveflipflops
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Something to think about, if you go in January or February and you go to Bermuda expect cool weather like NC has. I have heard they get the same weather that we do here. And Bahamas will be "cool" as FL. My friend just got back from there when FL had their cold snap and she had her coat on in Bahamas. So it may or may not be warm.

Of course, you all up north will think its probably warmer than where you are now. LOL

tojoco
01-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I have been on 3 different cruises in 3 different seasons all in the Caribbean. May I recommend the Spring time to be the best time to cruise the Atlantic and Caribbean. It is like cruising on still waters -- so smooth. We went in early May and it was quite warm on the Caribbean islands; warm enough to swim.

Also, Teresa maybe you could get a block of rooms for a cheaper price. Inside rooms are always the cheapest and that's what we always had because the only time you are in your room is to sleep. Just a thought.

There is also the cruise to nowhere where you depart from Dodge Island in Florida and just cruise out into the Atlantic. There are lots of activities on board but there are no ports-of-call. May be a better cruise for us if we just want to meet and stamp.

maxiesmom
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
There is also the cruise to nowhere where you depart from Dodge Island in Florida and just cruise out into the Atlantic. There are lots of activities on board but there are no ports-of-call. May be a better cruise for us if we just want to meet and stamp.

I have never heard of that, I imagine the price would be decent and it would certainly give us crafting time. Although our families would be bored! I'd have to bring a friend anyway, David's reaction was pretty much what I posted yesterday!

Inkisallover
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I would love to be cruising with Shackies, David however would probably chew off his arm if I had large quantities of crafting time involved. The only way I got him onto a cruiseship in the first place cause it was Alaska.

I think it's a great idea! Although my DH would be like Kathy's, unless there was a pool table on board...

3amnmmom
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
That does sound like a lot of fun. If you get some more information let us know and we can think harder on it.

pesc
01-20-2010, 08:20 PM
The girls are too young... but I would love something like that... and I would definitivly want to meet all my fellow Shackies... but when the girls will be older...

kerry
01-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah!

I'm going on a cruise over my spring break/birthday with my parents and older sister. It's often difficulty and...double the cost for me to go cruising as I am a single person. I would LOVE to go on a cruise with fellow stampers who I would feel safe "rooming" with.

I do have a limited schedule as I cannot go during the school year. My cruising usually happens during the summer, spring and winter breaks. Unfortunately for those non-teaching folks, this is usually the high-dollar time for cruises.

I've cruised with Norwegian, Celebrity and a few others.

Kerry

Michelle32855
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
DH and I would love it! Heck, I'll bet he'd even stamp with us. We're in Colorado, so point of departure would be about equidistant anywhere. Personally, I'd prefer an Alaskan cruise (always wanted to do that) but doing the "cruise to nowhere" sounds like it would be less "distracting" for those of us wanting to stamp. As long as I know far enough in advance, timing wouldn't be an issue.

What a fun idea!

tesschap
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I will work on options for this when we get home from our cruise. Life's a bit crazy here right now. I'm preparing for vacation, making wedding invitations, and caring for DS #1 (Evan broke his collarbone this weekend reffing a high school championship hockey game). Stay tuned ...

paperprintss
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
If it worked around school I am in

ccstampin12
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
WOW!
I totally missed this thread!
I'll talk to Lesa and Vicky and see if they are interested.....also, Loon218 and her stamping friends might be interested~
Joanie

jguyeby
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I would love the cruise but I am an east coast gal.

Desert Stamper
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
I think it sounds like such a fun idea! Maybe singles and stampers not bringing spouses/family could arrange to share cabins. Kerry's right, it's hard (and expensive) travelling solo.
Regarding Alaska cruises: Keep in mind they are only May - Sept. and are the most expensive, compared to Caribbean and Mexico. Most of the Alaska cruises are between Seattle/Vancouver and Anchorage, so airfares are VERY expensive. They're considered multi-city, not RT. For example, you fly from Atlanta to Seattle, then back from Anchorage to Atlanta.

What about repositioning cruises? They're usually in April, from San Diego/Los Angeles to Seattle. They're usually three-four days just cruising up the west coast.

I've cruised all three; Alaska is my fave, Caribbean is okay and personally I HATE Mexico, which is too bad since I'm western US. (But with the cartel situation, I wouldn't consider Mexico these days anyway.)