PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Prismacolor pencils

inkinupstamps
01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Several people have commented that their prismacolor pencil "leads" (actually wax but you know what I mean) break everytime they sharpen them. When I got my big box last week I began sharpening right away and had some trouble with the first few, so I decided it must be my sharpener and went to the art supply store to ask them about this.

The clerk was quite knowledgable about prismacolor pencils and the problem some people have. She did tell me a couple of useful tips:

1.) As you sharpen your pencil be sure that you are not twisting your sharpener and your pencil. Hold your sharpener steady on the table or in your hand and turn the pencil gently and smoothly. It is the twisting of the sharpener in one direction and twisting your pencil that causes the lead to break;
2.) Don't use a lot of pressure when sharpening your pencil;
3.) Use a sharpener with a good, sharp blade, and
4.) For a nice, fine sharp point or to gently reshape your lead as it wears down a bit, use a sanding pad like people who do drafting use for their pencils.

I came home and began to sharpen. Not a problem at all with breaking by just following her advice.

The twisting action is really almost a subconcious thing I think I was doing. I don't remember doing it but I do know that I'm now conciously keeping the sharpener steady and turning only the pencil.

I hope this helps. Like I said, following these tips, I've not had a bit of problem.

juliej
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I use a good electric sharpener and have no problems

jdpisces
01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing because I have had some trouble myself. What type of sharpener do you have? I started to think that maybe I should buy the Prismacolor sharpener. But I've never been able to find it.

inkinupstamps
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I was wondering the same thing because I have had some trouble myself. What type of sharpener do you have? I started to think that maybe I should buy the Prismacolor sharpener. But I've never been able to find it.

Julie, this little sharpener looks like nothing. LOL But it is sharp. She said it was the best artists sharpener (cost about $6.50 Canadian). It is just a little bitsy gold (or is it brass?) sharpener and on the back it says KOH L NooR Nr 982 and is made in Germany.

She said other sharpeners are fine, but just be sure you aren't twisting and that your blade is very sharp. That is what she likes best about this little guy I bought. She said this was the sharpest blade and stayed that way.

1of2shoes
01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I use an electric sharpener I got from Staples. It's the one Terry Medaris uses.

Also, if you find that one pencil seems to break all the time when you sharpen it, then it was probably dropped once or twice or ten times. If the pencil lead is fractured inside the pencil, then it will break when you sharpen it. So, don't drop your pencils on the tabletop or on the floor (oh no!).

If I've bought my replacement colors from the art store (or Michaels or wherever) and the lead keeps breaking, I take the pencil back to the store and tell them it's defective. I recently bought a new Limepeel (one of my fav colors) and when I sharpened it, by the time it stopped breaking, the pencil was nearly half gone! I will mention that next time I go back to Aaron Bros to get more pencils.

Sorry for the long explanation. I could talk about Prismacolor pencils all day.

tojoco
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Jennifer, thanks for the good tips. I've had a little trouble with them but found that I was sharpening too much. It only takes a few twists before the point will break.

Julie, I have the Prismacolor sharpener and I really like it. I ordered it here:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz214/22/

buggainok
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I also have the Prismacolor sharpener. If you have a Hobby Lobby, they carry them. They frequently have a 40% off coupon in the paper, too.

michelle328
01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I got my Prismacolor sharpener at Hobby Lobby as well...it was only about $3.59, I think.

Michelle