PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush advice-DH's occasionally know best

GSMom385
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Ok I have to chime in my two cents worth, just in case anyone is thinking about purchasing the Copic airbrush system and tell you about my experience because I consider myself pretty lucky, because I feel like I got a deal and I really could have spent way too much money.

I took the certification course because I really wanted to learn about the airbrush. The other stuff was just gravy to me. As Chelsea, Tracy and Suzanne will tell you I had to run, and I do mean RUN right out and buy the airbrush after class. I think we just barely snuck in the door at Dick Blick before they closed so I could get it that very night. Decided not to go hog wild and get the compressor in case I was a dud at handling the thing even thou I played with it in class and was pretty sure it was for me. So I got the canned air kit that you could later convert to the compressor if you wanted to the ABS 2. I have been using it since then (Sept) and decided this weekend as I ran out of my third can of air that at this rate I could have purchased a compressor by now so I headed off to hobby lobby to purchase one today. When I got there they were considerable amount more than I had thought they were. I was planning on spending roughly $100 to $150. They were $379. I about fainted. Now I am wishing I would have bought the one at class for $150. So as I am standing there pondering my options trying to dig in my purse to see if I had a coupon when something my DH had said back in Sept hit me. When I had came home and was going on and on about how I loved the thing and would one day get a compressor he just said casually, well let me know and we will go to harbor freight together when you do. Because of course he thinks like a man and he would go to the tool store to purchase an air compressor. So I google Harbor Freight on my phone, find out where it is at and head on over to my local tool store (right down the block from HL mind you). I was the only female in the joint and it isn't in the best part of town. However, I got the exact same compressor, same model and everything for $49.95, plus $5 for the extended 2 year warranty. They were very helpful and nice even thou it wasn't really a chick place (as I said I got alot of stares).

So I know this was a long story but the moral here is sometimes the hardware/tool store is a better choice than the craft store. The mark up on those things is amazing at the craft store, because you can't tell me Habor Freight is selling them at cost.

Gotta tell you I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new compressor, it is so much easier than the canned air and it is light weight so it can travel with me. I can already tell I am going to be airbrushing more and will need more ink refills faster. So hopefully this will help someone else save some money too. Lord knows we all need a little of that.

dancing queen
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
that's so exciting cindy... I love when we manage to get a deal... and it looks like you got a great one. have fun!

cindi
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
good for you!!!! I'll remember that when I get ready to invest in my air brush tanning stuff..I use the one at work now, but I would like to have my own one day
:)

iloveflipflops
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
This is what i have been wanting to learn too but i do much better having someone teach me so I will wait till someone can show me how or I can take a class. My DH LOVES Harbor Freight. We have one really close by and he shops there quite a bit.

directmailscrapper
01-22-2010, 09:12 PM
What a great story! And thanks for the advice -- if I ever decide to go that route!

HeatherJ
01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tip! And that is so typical..... put the word scrapbooking or crafting on it and the price suddenly goes through the roof. My travel totes are Black and Decker and so much cheaper than the Making Memories or like brands.

limeyscrapper
01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow - what a big difference in price. Always good to let dh know what you have in mind, you never know when he'll surprise you with some useful information.

shuggy
01-24-2010, 12:41 AM
what is harbor freight?