PDA

View Full Version : I'm back... 67 hours later!!!!!!!

dancing queen
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
While I was posting about being blocked in my house, the power went out at 1:40 p.m on Saturday and just came back on at 8:40 a.m. today (Tuesday). I can't even begin to tell you what that was like. My phones were dead and my cell phone finally died late last night. I had plenty of food (and beer) in my refrigerator, but I knew the worst thing I could do was open the fridge doors. I couldn't even put the stuff out in the snow because my outside doors were blocked (yikes!) So I hunkered down. Fortunately I have a gas fireplace which was my only source of heat. I closed off my bedroom and my craftroom to keep the heat in a smaller area, and spent all of my time in the living/dining/kitchen area. Two very dear friends finally got out and came to unblock my doors on Sunday afternoon... woo-hoo, what a feeling to be free! They even dug out my car and I proceeded to clear it of all the snow that had piled up on it, but by the time I got around to wanting to go get some coffee, the plows had come by and plowed me in again. I spent 3 nights without electric, but managed to read 3 books by candlelight (I'm so proud that I was able to live like a pioneer woman). And instead of beer, I just slowly sipped at some orange vodka until it was time to sleep (on the couch of course). I lived on granola bars and water until yesterday when I was finally able to get my car out and got to Wawa... that cup of coffee tasted like a million bucks. I'm in the process of sorting through and throwing out stuff from the fridge (I think the stuff in the freezer made it thorough ok). Can't wait to get back to normal, but we're supposed to get another 10-12" of snow again tomorrow :arghh:

I think I'll be looking into heading south someplace next winter and every year thereafter... anyone have any suggestions?

Jadyeebugsaunt
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh my Betty, I would go crazy if that happened, actually if that happened i would have to leave or be rescued because my apt is all electric Shadow and I would freeze. I could go to my parents they heat by wood, but they don't like cats in the ghouse so Shadow would have to stay in the basement with the wood burner. I really don't know how you did it I would go crazy w no food. You Go Girl!

Christie
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
You could always move to Texas. It gets cold sometimes but hardly ever snows!!! The downside would be the heat and year round humidty if you move to southeast texas.

Spartymom
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
oh my gosh. Good for you for knowing how to stick it out. We are getting snow here, but you will get aton more snow again.

Lori
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh my!!! You done good! We had an ice storm a year ago, and we went without electric for a long time. We cooked on the grill, and read by candlelight! But I was so thankful when that power came back on!!!

dancing queen
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
You could always move to Texas. It gets cold sometimes but hardly ever snows!!! The downside would be the heat and year round humidty if you move to southeast texas.

Believe me when I tell you that that's a very strong possibility. I have a friend who is stationed there w/her coast guard husband and she's been telling me it's the best place ever. Trust me when I tell you I can tolerate any amount of heat and humidity you can throw at me... that's why I moved to the beach. Love, love, love hot weather. Hate, hate, hate snow and cold weather.

shuggy
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
i'm dlad you made it through the weekend!!

mydogstinks2
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
What a way to spend the weekend!!

maxiesmom
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Gee and all I stocked up on today was milk! Are you trying to tell us something? Glad you have power again and can get back to normal.

Christie
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Believe me when I tell you that that's a very strong possibility. I have a friend who is stationed there w/her coast guard husband and she's been telling me it's the best place ever. Trust me when I tell you I can tolerate any amount of heat and humidity you can throw at me... that's why I moved to the beach. Love, love, love hot weather. Hate, hate, hate snow and cold weather.

What part of Texas is she in? You better get on down here then. Our winters are great but I HATE summer's here. If you have curly hair it's a great place for you!! LOL!!! I straigten my hair then walk jiggs and it's goes flat and frizzy! That happened yesterday morning...errrrr!

dancing queen
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
What part of Texas is she in? You better get on down here then. Our winters are great but I HATE summer's here. If you have curly hair it's a great place for you!! LOL!!! I straigten my hair then walk jiggs and it's goes flat and frizzy! That happened yesterday morning...errrrr!

She's in San Antonio... Maybe I could find some tiny little cottage to rent for the winters and come back to Cape May for the summers :spinny:

cindi
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
wow. what a storm!! I'm glad your ok, it sounds like you better stock up for round 2, and I hope this ones not near as bad!!
:mask:

milmogando
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
oh betty!! you are my new hero!! i'd have given up the will to live in there:cry2: although i'm liking the sound of that orange vodka... teehee
I think you had better come and live down under but then you'd have to switch your anxieties to bush fires instead:eek:

dancing queen
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
oh betty!! you are my new hero!! i'd have given up the will to live in there:cry2: although i'm liking the sound of that orange vodka... teehee
I think you had better come and live down under but then you'd have to switch your anxieties to bush fires instead:eek:

Kristi... bush fires and orange vodka are WARM. I really dislike cold. I may have to join you down under.

HeatherJ
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow, what an ordeal! You came through it like a trooper, thankfully. I do hear there is more snow coming your way, but I hope they just miscalculated the dierction!!