PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a broccoli cheese soup recipe???

kimmyqtgirl
02-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I tried one in the crockpot today that wasn't bad, but the cheese got all clumpy, this was a broccoli, potato, cheese soup. Good flavor but bad consistency. Maybe it shouldnt be done in a crockpot? My favorite is Panera Breads so if anyone has one similar to that Please share :)

Thanks!

Jadyeebugsaunt
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
i have a good one but ill have to find it ill post tomorrow.

milmogando
02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
here's (http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/6217/cheese-and-broccoli-soup.aspx) 1

milmogando
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
or this (http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Broccoli-and-Blue-Cheese-Soup-L530.html) 1...

cindi
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
this is teh one I use, though I alter it..I'll post the recipe then tell you how I alter it

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup chopped red onion
* 1 tablespoon margarine
* 2 1/2 cups milk
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1 pound processed cheese, cubed
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli

Directions

1. Melt butter or margarine over medium heat in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook and stir onions in butter or margarine until tender.
2. Add milk and cream cheese; stirring until cream cheese melts. Stir in cheese food and broccoli. Stir until cheese food melts, and soup is heated through.

ok, I always add a little diced carrot to mine, and instead of processed cheese product (velveeta) I use 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheese. I aways use fat free cream cheese and skim milk. but you'd never know it! Alos I pre cook my broccoli a bit because Gary likes it better with soft broccoli, but, if your eaters are not picky..I'd leave it with a slight crunch.
let me know if you try it & how you like it..oh and make a double batch..it freezes well
:)

kimmyqtgirl
02-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks girls.. YUMMY is ll I can say. And Cindi this one called for Velveeta and I wonder if that was my problem even though it says it won't clump. I would enjoy carrot too I always like extra veggies.

cindi
02-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks girls.. YUMMY is ll I can say. And Cindi this one called for Velveeta and I wonder if that was my problem even though it says it won't clump. I would enjoy carrot too I always like extra veggies.

I have found that using a whisk helps the cream cheese to melt in a timely manner..I pretty much stir it almost constantly until the cream cheese melts.
I would way rather use real cheese than velveeta.
:)

GSMom385
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I have an easy one and it holds up in a crock pot for a long period of time but you can't make it in the crock pot, however it is fast to whip up, like 20 minutes tops. I make it for all day family gatherings, or sleep over events.

2 T butter
2 T flour
Make a rue of this and then add 1 cup of milk, I normally use skim but my Mom uses whole milk so it is up to you.
Then cube 16 oz of American cheese and mix in until it is blended and it will be very thick, remove from heat. I get the unwrapped slices for this, works great since they are already cut one way.

In another pan, mix 1 cup of water, 1 chicken boullion cube, and 1 head of broccoli, I normally cut mine up small. Once the broccoli is tender then mix the cheese mixture into the pan with the water broccoli and all. Sometimes I need to add just a little more water to thin it a bit, especially if I am going to put it in the crock pot to keep it warm because it will thicken over time, but it doesn't get lumpy bumpy. I have also added onion and carrots at times, and I am sure it would work with potatoes too if the urge hit you. The kids like it with popcorn on the top.

kimmyqtgirl
02-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Oh that one sounds good too Cindy. I never thought of popcorn on top. I am going to have to try yours too. My dh is going to be sick of broccoli soup! I'll space it out :)

ccstampin12
02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Ummmm....open a can?????
LOL
Joanie

iloveflipflops
02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I was going to suggest Panera Bread has a great broccoli cheese soup. LOL

kimmyqtgirl
02-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Ha ha. Open a can! I can't find a canned version I enjoy. And Sherri you actually can buy the Panera Soup at costco but it's pretty expensive. Plus I enjoy cooking I can add a little more veggies and make a ton for alot cheaper than Panera. I can't wait to make my grocery list and go shopping.
Thanks again girls