PDA

View Full Version : I am so excited; I just ordered myself a Kindle (Updated 3/2/10)

tojoco
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I cannot wait to get it tomorrow. Any suggestions on what book I should download first? Woo Hoo!:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::D

workin4stamps
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM
You could have gone to Shackapalooza instead!!!!! LOL

I sent you a text earlier. Did you get it?

My3Ds
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
war and peace. jk i hope u enjoy it.

tojoco
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
You could have gone to Shackapalooza instead!!!!! LOL

I sent you a text earlier. Did you get it?

Traci,

I got your text but I haven't learned how to answer a text on my iphone yet. Yours is the first text I ever got on it. It's different because I don't have a text plan. I don't get that many texts so I chose to pay $.20 for each text message and now I have to find out how to answer them. lol

Why didn't you find that price yesterday!!! I wouldn't have ordered the Kindle. I guess I'll have to wait another year to meet up with everyone again. Thanks for checking for me though.

tesschap
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Good for you. I'm on the fence between the Nook and the Kindle. Can you sway me one way or the other? I need a little push ...

Mrs. Fence
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I still like my "real" books! LOL Hope you enjoy your kindle, though. :)

workin4stamps
02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
One of the girls I work with has the Sony bookreader, and she really likes it. You will love it!

I don't read at all so it wouldn't do much for me...but everyone that has them loves them!

HeatherJ
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I am undecided between the Kindle and the Sony, main;y because we don't get the full features of the Kindle here in Canada, due to the high cell rates. No wifi, online capabililty, and that was the big feature we wanted. Sony doesn't have the backlight which Kindle does so I am torn!

maxiesmom
02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I still like my "real" books! LOL Hope you enjoy your kindle, though. :)

Me too, books are free to read at the library! I'm too cheap to pay that much for a download.

workin4stamps
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
You can actually download books for free from your local library. You "borrow" them just like a normal book. If someone already has it checked out, you have to wait for it just like a regular book. The download is good for like 3 weeks or something like that.

Desert Stamper
02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
My DH gave me a Kindle 2 for Christmas. I love it, even though I can't afford to buy books at the rate I read them. (They're reasonable, I'm just a very fast reader!) I love the fact that I can adjust the text size to larger print for my older eyes. It's great when you travel because it weighs almost nothing. I wouldn't care for the newsest larger size Kindle, personally. You can either download books via Kindle's internet, or from your computer using your own ISP. There is also a non-Amazon application that you can install on your computer which will let you convert other formats to Kindle format. (I haven't tested it yet.)

tojoco
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info Traci and Joan. I knew I didn't want the larger sized Kindle. I want to be able to put my Kindle in my purse. I didn't know there was a non-Amazon app. I'll have to look into that.

Patty
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I am anxious to see what you think about it. I honestly hope you love it. However, for me--I love holding the book and feeling the pages. I like being in a library, etc. Maybe you will change my mind--I love to read. One of the towns ear me is thinking of ordering kindles instead of books for the schools. It certainly would be easier than carrying all those books. I guess that's the way the future will be.

ngreek
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I LOVE my kindle. I have a second generation and have had it for almost a year. You can download free books. Majority of the classics are free. In every catagroy they have different free books. That saves money. I ahve found I have saved money with my Kindle (besides the initial purchase). If you have more then 1 credit card attached to your amazon account you can not purchase books straight from the kindle. Also to save battery life keep the internet connection off until you use it. The only thing I wish It had was a book light or a way to light the screen so you can read like when youa re a passanger in car at night.

The other thing that is rough is to remember to take something to read or do for take offs and landings when flying as you can't have it on.. if you follow the rules of the sky..

Those who do not think you can go with out the feel of a book.. You would get over that real fast. The pages look like regular pages nad you can get covers that work similiar to a book.

tojoco
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Nicole, I thought I saw a nitelight attachment on the Amazon website. I was going to order it but decided to wait until I got my Kindle.

ngreek
02-24-2010, 11:05 PM
You can get one of those. It basically is the same thing you can get at Barnes and Noble or Borders. I wanted a light so you can press a button and have light with in it.

The other cool thing I didn't say in the earlier post is the speech feature. Yes it is a computerized male voice mostly but.. I commute 1 1/2 hours each way to work and I can isten to the same book I am reading. I am not havign to listen to 1 book and read another.

Inkisallover
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Oh, I've been wanting one for a while now. We travel a lot and it would be so much nicer to carry that instead of a bunch of books. I always read in the car and at tournaments (because sometimes it takes forever before you get back on the table!).

tojoco
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Woo Hoo my Kindle came this morning. I quickly opened the box and read the instructions. I had it plugged in for less then 3 hours to charge and then went to town. It is extremely simple to learn how to use. I downloaded Big Girl by Danielle Steele and am ready to start reading. I honestly think I'm going to love the Kindle. I plan on taking it with me to the gym so I can read while I walk on the treadmill. I will give a better report once I start reading.

midnitecreations
03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I got mine for Christmas and I adore it!! There are a lot of free books on Kindle that you can download and the best part is, I download sample chapters all the time so I don't have to buy the book if I don't want too. Great purchase!!

tojoco
03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Well I took the book with me on our car trip to Atlanta and I have to say that I love it. I couldn't read in the car before but with the Kindle it didn't seem to bother me at all . . . when I got a chance to read with it. My DH seems to have taken it over he is so amazed with it and he's a tough one to impress. My brother has the Nook and said that he likes it better because it has color BUT when you're reading a book, most of the time the book cover is the only thing in color and the text is always black and white so I wasn't impressed by the Nook. I just want to know what took me so long to order the Kindle.

ccstampin12
03-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm so happy for you that you love your new 'toy!'
I am pretty old-fashioned and love to hold my books and turn the pages and see how far I have read and how far I still have to go...etc.
A friend has a Kindle and she loves hers.
ENJOY!!!
Joanie

midnitecreations
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
The other thing I got along with the kindle was the book cover and the reading light. The reading light is incredible and I love using it in car rides and especially in bed at night. I used to use my bedside lamp and it always woke my DH up. The reading light, he never even knows its on!

tojoco
03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I also ordered a pink leather cover for my Kindle and I love it. I'm going to have to order the reading light next.

midnitecreations
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I got the pink light to go with my pink cover! lol

Patty
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Joanne--I'm so happy for you that you are loving the Kindle so much. I can hear the joy in your postings. Good for you. Let me know which books you like best. I'll have to check out the Kindle--and see what it's all about.