PDA

View Full Version : Something I haven't done in years. . .

Patty
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
since when I was really broke. Now my dd is REALLY broke. She had some very pretty bras that were lacy. They were in fine condition except the lace was beginning to come apart. I had 2 choices--buy her new or fix the old. I went to Wallmart and bought a pair of baby tights--those things that are like panty hose but less sheer and colored. I cut pieces from the tights that were just a smidge bigger than the lacy area of the bra (top half of the cup). I pinned the piece of tights onto the wrong side of the lacy part, tucking the edges under and hand stitched it all around. Now it looks like the bra has a thin lining, she's not popping through, and noone has to spend $ at Victoria's right now. It occured to me that if I lived like that all the time, I'd be rich now. Remember those broke days?? :nod:

HeatherJ
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
What a creative idea! Waste not, want not!

cindi
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
wow, Patty. how clever of you!! way to go
:)

Christie
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Very thrifty!!!! I have an aunt who does that kind of stuff all the time.

ccstampin12
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
WOW!
You are very thrifty! and clever, but we already knew that!
Joanie

inkinupstamps
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Great save and cost effective too! Yes indeed I DO remember those days well. I grew up that way. One trick that both of my grandmothers taught me was how to save men's dress shirt collars. The menfolk in my family didn't have more than one dress shirt and once the collar became worn they'd remove the collar, turn it over and reattach it to the shirt. VOILA! The shirt collar looked like new again with the tattered side hidden underneath. I remember my grandmas teaching me how to carefully pick out the stitches and reattach it.

Patty
03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Great save and cost effective too! Yes indeed I DO remember those days well. I grew up that way. One trick that both of my grandmothers taught me was how to save men's dress shirt collars. The menfolk in my family didn't have more than one dress shirt and once the collar became worn they'd remove the collar, turn it over and reattach it to the shirt. VOILA! The shirt collar looked like new again with the tattered side hidden underneath. I remember my grandmas teaching me how to carefully pick out the stitches and reattach it.

That's right--I did that, and when the cuffs were shot, I cut the sleeves to make short sleeve shirts. Jeans to cut-offs, pants to shorts, etc. Nothing went to waste. Remember getting groceries with just so much money in your pocket? If you went over that amount you had to put something back??? Ahhh the good old days!!:laugh:

Nancy
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I also did that. Oh may!-Nancy

inkinupstamps
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
That's right--I did that, and when the cuffs were shot, I cut the sleeves to make short sleeve shirts. Jeans to cut-offs, pants to shorts, etc. Nothing went to waste. Remember getting groceries with just so much money in your pocket? If you went over that amount you had to put something back??? Ahhh the good old days!!:laugh:

Oh yes...the cuffs off and making short sleeved shirts. And never, ever, every throw away clothing without mending first for as long as possible. And if it was too worn to be repaired, remove all of the buttons and if the zipper was still working remove it too.

In fact, my huge button collection as well as my large supply of zippers frequently has come from my own children's clothes when they were little or what I inherited from my grandmothers' sewing cabinets. Just this week I was looking for a short, pink zipper and sure enough, there was one that had been removed who knows how long ago that is in perfect working condition and will get a new life now. :)

Ah yes...taking only the amount of $$ you needed (or most likely had!) My mom would give us the exact change plus maybe a nickle to go run to the store to get her a few items. If there was change we could get penny candy. LOL

Mrs. Fence
03-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Such clever ideas! I remember my aunt saving zippers and buttons and looking through her wonderful button box when I went to visit!

dancing queen
03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I love all of the memories that were just brought to mind. I remember my grandmother darning socks with one of those egg-shaped wooden balls which she'd insert into the sock for darning. I still will cut off jeans with frayed bottoms and make them into cutoff shorts (notice, though, I'm not doing any sewing).

Patty
03-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah yes, the good old days. We'd all be rich if we still lived like that!!!